Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:46:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNetpack - A roguish arcade-like
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Netpack - A roguish arcade-like  (Read 3285 times)
jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »

EDIT: Version 1.2 (likely final) is finished!

Netpack v1.2 is finally done, after much toil as a novice developer. Please, check out the readme, give the game a shot, and let me know what you think!

http://www.royal-paw.com/games/#netpack

Quick description: Netpack is a rogue-like based on Ms. Pac-Man, with its adventuring, leveling up, and inventory system backed up with quick gameplay, sound effects, animations, and points, giving it an arcade feel.

The game is challenging, but not to an insane degree, and there are two proper endings to find.

A few screens follow (ignore the version number):

Few adventurers will see this maze....
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:29:59 AM by jamey » Logged
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »

nicely done, i only had time to play two levels, but its fun. Smiley

i have a couple of constructive comments:
- remove the loud beeping when the game starts
- fix the 'no spaces' issue in the install directory - i tend to save temporary things like this in "documents and settings/ben/downloads" which has a space

jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »

I'd really like to fix that problem. Basically, I'm using a BAT file converted to EXE so I can hide all the game's resources in a separate folder. Windows can't really make relative shortcuts, which really, really stinks. The bat uses %CD% to find the current directory, but for some reason that variable doesn't work for directories with spaces outside of the command line. It's really confusing and frustrating.

Right now you can just go into \res\ and click on the real exe. There's no difference. Or like the readme says, make your own shortcut from that. But of course, no one should have to do that. It's a big annoyance right now.

Anyway, thanks for playing! Is the "loud beeping" the title screen music?
jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »

nicely done, i only had time to play two levels, but its fun. Smiley

i have a couple of constructive comments:
- remove the loud beeping when the game starts
- fix the 'no spaces' issue in the install directory - i tend to save temporary things like this in "documents and settings/ben/downloads" which has a space

Hey eigenbom, I think I may have solved the problem. Can you redownload and see if it works for you? You might need to clear your cache or do whatever "super page reload" you can. If the file details say it was created at 6:02 PM today, then it's the newest one.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:11:16 PM »

Yep works fine now. Smiley

And yeh, the loud beeping is the start of the starting music. Its a bit jarring, especially considering the rest of the music and sound effects in game seem to be at half the volume, and nice 'rounder' sounds...

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »

Very nice! Didn't get very far tho, I assume from your screenshots that the later levels are different?

jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »

Yeah, the maze changes every 3 dungeon levels, and there is a dark level every 3rd.

The next version is likely going to have a single quick-save slot. Any thoughts on that?
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »

That will probably be a good thing.  I had fun but died in level 2 and didn't want to repeat the first 2 levels again.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »

i got to level 3, i like the change in mood. Smiley

some more comments...
- i couldn't figure out how to pick up the iron chain. 'p', 'g', ',' all didn't work
- it wasn't obvious that i could actually attack the ghosts until i did, accidentally

jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »

The iron chain is just an inside joke with the story in the readme. It doesn't serve any purpose other than decoration and a cheap laugh (maybe... ok, probably not...).  Durr...?

The readme actually describes the gameplay pretty in-depth, so it might give you ideas about how best to run each level and when to use which items.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »

The readme actually describes the gameplay pretty in-depth, so it might give you ideas about how best to run each level and when to use which items.

Oh, yeh, old school style! Read the manual before you play the game. My Word!Hand Metal Right

jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »

Got a feature on IndieGames.com today. Cool It's a milestone for me!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »

Got a feature on IndieGames.com today. Cool It's a milestone for me!

Yeh I saw that, congrats! Bet it boosted your site visits quite a bit!

jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 04:35:16 PM »

Thanks Smiley And yes, my visits jumped quite a bit today.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »

I beat it with the "technicolor light" ending Smiley Fighting the ghosts a little and then running away to recover seems to be the basic winning strategy - most of the risk comes at the beginning of the game.

jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »

It makes me very happy to see that people are getting the good ending!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink And yeah, the beginning can be rough, but as long as you concentrate on leveling, the end gets breezy. Actually, that's an issue. I'm still fine-tuning the difficulty to sustain the challenge as you graduate floors.
jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I wanted to announce the latest version of Netpack (and probably last, except for any bug fixes brought to my attention).

The game now has a temp save slot so you can walk away from your adventure. It's also quite a bit more difficult. There are some other small tweaks as well, not worth mentioning in detail. The save system took forever because I decided to make an encryption system myself without reading about it or using libraries, for fun.

Important stuffs:

- F4 for fullscreen now, instead of Alt+Enter
- 'RR' on the title screen will reset the high score now. Don't delete sdata unless you want to lose any save data as well.
- If you end up messing with the sdata file, and it starts crashing the game, just delete it. A new one will be created on start-up.
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 03:37:05 AM »

Glad I checked back on this! Will play the new/final version shortly Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic