Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:33:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStarlit: Colony
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Starlit: Colony  (Read 12142 times)
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:37 AM »

Hi - here is super doopa new devlog for a Sci-Fi exploration game called Starlit ... now called "Starlit: Colony", which we have been developing.

The team are:

Design - Rudolf Kremers (http://www.omni-labs.com/)
Code - Dave Parsons (http://www.confused-pelican.com/)
Music - Brian Grainger (http://www.milieu-music.com/)
Art - myself (http://www.tikipod.com/)

I'll leave a space here for Rudolf to explain the game in more detail (as he can do it far better than I).

Meanwhile here is a bit of concept art:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:08:42 AM by Dugan » Logged

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:51:11 AM »

Concept art looks nice. Will the game be in that kind of resolution?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:53:32 AM »

concept art looks nice but will you be able to maintain dynamic lighting like that on the character ?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
st33d
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:02:22 AM »

I remember Rudolf talking about this at London Indies.

I look forward to seeing how it shapes up.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:04:58 AM »

Dek - no the current target res is 1280x720, I shrunk the image to make it easier to see in the window.

Moi - apologies no that current character is a bit misleading in that sense, I took him from a PS3 theme I made and was using him as a scale test. Animations will be in the cut-out style, (with sub frames for rotation when needed) - so we won't have fine details being affected by lighting.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:23:05 AM »

Yeah this looks right up my street!  Heard mention of it upon the twitter...

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »

Why not combine cut-out style and dynamic lighting via normalmapping? It could be great.

richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:05:01 PM »

concept looks great, would love to see this in real life.

Ashkin
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:37:53 AM »

Golly!
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 04:37:55 AM »

Your artwork is amazing as always, impressive stuff.  Good luck with this
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »

Live thread... LIVE!!!
Man I haven't been here in aaaages!

Today my personal blog died, it was defiled by hackers. :-(
However, since I was about to start blogging about StarLit I realised I should do that here anyway...

SO, the idea is that this thread will be a place where I will post/cross post my personal musings on what StarLit is, and how it is progressing. It can sit nicely alongsie Dugan's posts.

Eufloria iPad has now been released, so I will finally have time to give this proper attention.

My first proper post will probably be about the concept of "Exploration" which is key to StarLit. More on that soon then.:-)

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »

The concept art is looking great, interested to see more.

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:41 AM »

Here is an adapted blog post from my blog. (The now DELETED blog GRRR)

=======================================================Snip================

As I said in the earlier post a key aspect of StarLit is its attitude towards exploration. Since I have made that claim a few times now I thought it a good idea to expand on that and share a few thoughts on the subject. Many games claim to be about exploration after all, so what is it in StarLit that makes this remarkable beyond some basic play mechanics? Well, hopefully this post will provide some answers. :-)

Some Thoughts On Game Exploration

One of my favourite in-game activities is exploration, yet I find that a lot of games that claim to be exploration games take a very narrow view of what exploration can mean, or worse, actively punish exploration. The latter being one of the worst frustrations for somebody who is looking for fun exploration in a game setting.

Why punish the player with unforgiving harsh and negative consequences for engaging in freeform game exploration? Binary skill gates, single solution unskippable boss fights, lack of save points, long and convoluted respawn processes... aren’t these kinds of things just going to discourage exploration gameplay?

So the issue I have with many exploration games is that they only allow limited exploration of the physical environment, and do not really embrace the full spectrum of gameplay and rewards systems that are on offer from within the genre.

StarLit will try to put forward an environment where the player will be fundamentally rewarded for engaging in all areas of exploration. This includes for example:

Experimentation
Some things in the game can only be discovered through playful experimentation. Ideally I would like the player to be rewarded with emergent gameplay by trying out new ways to interact with the world, but additionally there will be plenty of opportunity for just having fun by trying out ideas both logical and goal oriented as well as purely for self-indulgent reasons. Treat the world, or things in it, as a toy, or indeed as a sandbox.

Narrative Discovery
The player will be given a lot to discover in narrative terms. Like a slowly evolving detective case the player can uncover layers of narrative content. And by that I mean all kinds of content that adds to the narrative, not just endless text. The narrative exploration will be non-linear, so it will be up to the player to decide which narrative strands to follow or investigate.

Ambient Enjoyment
The world itself is to be enjoyed in its own right, rather than act as an excuse to place a series of skill challenges in various environments. Instead we are going to try to provide a setting where it is not necessary to just run through the world from one challenge to the next, but instead provide a world where it is ok to stop and soak up the atmosphere.

Indeed, it may provide the player with insights that are useful in gameplay terms, although this kind of thing should be enjoyable in its own right. I hope that the game will offer an experience where it is actually enjoyable to go on a stroll.

Why Science Fiction?

Setting also matters, and StarLit is meant to celebrate classic science fiction. Partially because I love the genre, but also because a Sci-Fi setting gives us a number of advantages. Sci-Fi often deals with a “sense of wonder”; that feeling of marvel and joy at being shown highly imaginative and awe-inspiring vistas and concepts. In an exploration game this functions as an an actual reward for the player, for seeking out new things to enjoy. It is rewarding to explore such an environment.

Many good Sci-Fi creations have come to pass after a process of world building, and to a large degree that world will be an unknown to the player. This once again means that exploration mechanics are rewarded at a fundamental level. That is to say that they are part of the fabric of the game. In StarLit the world is something that not only gives you a reward in the enjoyment of ambient environments, although that is an important element to the game, it also gives you useful knowledge on how this unknown environment works. And that latter aspect gives the player a formal reward in so much that practical and useful knowledge feeds back into actual gameplay. Exploration is both fun and useful.

Scientific Exploration?
In a similar vein, I find that the theme of scientific exploration is actually a great companion of science fiction and video games ideas. Not a surprise to those of you who have played my previous game “Eufloria” which was partially inspired by the ideas of theoretical physicists Freeman Dyson, as well as an exploration of procedural content generation in gameplay terms.

In StarLit we are adopting a number of influences from Scientific Exploration. There will be some representation of exciting scientific ideas, but more specifically, the process of scientific exploration is at the core of the game. The player will be put into a position where they will have to go on field trips to gather data on their environment, or try to apply scientific knowledge in order to solve certain gameplay challenges. The tools and equipment needed for this will reflect this, and will be presented in a form that allows for enjoyable gameplay. You have to kit out with the right tools for the job before you go out on a mission.

We are all working hard towards these lofty goals, code, art, design, and even audio all contribute to them. We will have to see how successful our efforts are by the time we release the game, but outlining these principles right from the beginning means that we work towards a set of goals within the spirit of exploration gameplay, which is one of our fundamental aspirations for this game.
================================================================================

Righto, sorry about the didactic tone, as I said this is an adapted blog post. :-)
Next installment will be about some specific play mechanics I reckon.

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »

I"ll write a bit about AI and things like monster in-Fighting next time I think.
Remember how in Doom/Quake it was often an important strategy to provoke creatures into fighting eachother?

:-D

Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »

First time seeing this, sounds interesting. I like the focus on exploration, like really exploring.

Many of those detractors to exploration you mention (gating, bosses, etc.) force you into a general path towards goals. Will this game have some sort of "end-game" goal? The way I imagine it is that the goals available would be similar to missions in an MMO game (fetch quest, defeat certain monsters, etc), is this the wrong way to think about it?

When you're exploring, is there a constant threat of monsters going to kill you? That kinda stressed me out about the exploration in Fallout 3, I was constantly worried I was going to end up in trouble when I got curious. haha

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »

The idea is that the game world offers a mix of missions/goals/tease/secrets etc. and the player decides when and how to tackle them. That means that you can take your own responsibility on how much challenge is enjoyable to you.

The game lets the player find equipment and upgrades though exploration, but more importantly, you HAVE to explore and experiment in order to learn enough about the world to reach long term goals.

(I will try to make this more concrete in future updates)

A practical example is how health works. You can take damage, but beyond a certain theshold a small amount recharges. So there is danger, but you can claw your way back, It wont fully recharge on its own however, so you cant ignore the world's dangers either.

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »

Cool to see you again btw. :-)
Thanks again for your coolness at E3!

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 03:16:24 AM »

WELCOME BACK! its been... some time.

After some hiccups and pauses, the game is progressing well and here is a debug screeny:

updates should be more frequent from now on Smiley

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 04:06:50 AM »

Keep it up, looks solid!

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 06:40:24 AM »

thanks GamesInquirer!

Art update - Recently I have been mostly working on the floors and walls tiles, making a base set that aims to be as flexible as possible, without going too nuts with the number of shapes.

Level designs are not final so some there will be more bespoke parts as the levels come together. But the current level roughs give something to work into.

Having slopes on the floor has proved to be a bit more fiddly than I had expected, and we will need some special animations making for the player to ensure he matches up to slopes ok.

I`ll add some more pics later in the week.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic