Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:41:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNeon Strikers
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: Neon Strikers  (Read 17798 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »

Just checked out the new version, here's my feedback:
Smiley sounds nice and punchy
Smiley the arrow guys that spear you are awesome
Sad the ship turns too slowly
Sad changing colours is tedious/confusing -- though that might be just because the enemies all seem random, instead of coming in waves of colours
Sad can you zoom out by 2?

Chris Pavia
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »

Coming in waves of colors sounds like a cool idea to me.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2012, 05:10:26 PM »

The colour-matching seems almost entirely pointless at the moment.
Make it more important, and make it more feasible to actually match a lot of enemies of the same colour.

I think enemies coming in waves of colour is a really awesome idea, actually.

Make enemies super invincible against other colours (maybe make colour match do 4x, one off do 1x, two colours away one-quarter, opposite colour 0 damage?!!) and then throw a huge mass of enemies, all YELLOW and PURPLE: opposite colours.
(OR construct, like, rainbow circles of enemies who move as a unit. the player can wipe out rings at a time easily, but it's harder to dig straight in without clever hue matching!)

Right now it feels like a really simple arenashootery thing with not enough camera view and a sorta tacked-on hue thing that's not even really worth using because it's 1. Not easy enough to use, and 2. Not rewarding enough to use.

I HAVEN'T PLAYED THE LATEST BUILD AND I'M SORRY FOR BEING SO HARSH.

EDIT ::

I (personally) find it kinda frustrating when an enemy is running away from me while I chase and shoot it... and I can't catch it. Why are my bullets so slow? ): And why are the enemies so fast that I hardly get a chance to react to them (i.e. shoot, change colours)?

Also don't get me wrong: this isn't a bad game by any means. It's not a game I find crazy-interesting but it's got a cool core idea, so I just have to rip it apart with my mind.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:17:18 PM by Droqen » Logged

Theophilus
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »

droqen ~

Thanks a lot for the feedback. It means a lot coming from you, even if it is mostly negatives. On the plus side, it's stuff to work on. Also, it's a step up from "i did not play your game" from your last post (i think? i'm pretty sure thats right).

Working on some of the things you suggested.

RE:
-Waves of color: I will do this. Waves of two colors, waves of 3, waves of 1 (to start things off? should I even do waves of one?). I plan on making the gameplay better in terms of enemies spawning, where, and what kinds.

-Different damages depending on color: This is a good idea, but it seems a bit... overcomplicated... I'll tinker with it

-Enemies running away: I shall make enemies more aggressive then

-Being harsh: Ain't no thang. It only makes my game better. Atween you and me, I probably wouldn't have continued working on this if you hadn't replied + bumped it.  Hand Thumbs Up Left for caring
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »

Well, the idea is just that, ah, the closer you are to the colour the better it is. I think that would mesh a little better and you'd feel good about trying to get close even if you missed a bit? (it'd reward proximity a bit more! also if you have a wave of BLUE + GREEN they could be easier to deal with than a wave of BLUE + RED? gradients of challenge!)
As far as enemy colour waves go: Totally do waves of one colour! They're easy to deal with EXCEPT FOR if you lag behind and suddenly in the middle of that tough red/green wave, a big wave of blue enemies spawn and oh my god i should hurry up and keep them from mixing together aaaa

IF YOU FEEL LIKE MOVING ON TO A NEW PROJECT THAT'S ALSO TOTALLY COOL o.o;
(I'm all about giving up and moving on! As long as, of course, you were planning to move on and not give up entirely but I don't think that was at all your plan (I hope!!!))

Zooming out, I think, would be a really good idea? The huge enemies are pretty awesome when they suddenly show up and are gigantic and nuts, but they're kind of too big to do anything with!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »

I think the first few minutes of the game should be a long wave of a single colour, then increasingly shorter single-hue waves where the hue changes slightly, so you can learn the colour relationships and get used to the controls. Then you can go nuts with Droqen's suggestions about complimentary hues, and arrangements of enemies. I'd personally love to see a large pink ship surrounded by smaller circling green ones that regenerate after you shoot them -- meaning you have to oscillate between pink laser and green laser..

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »

Rather than something as organized as a big formation of green ships, something that can be done more easily (but it's a really good idea also I am just trying to ease it up because formations are annoying to make, I think):

Giant pink boss ship.
Lots of little green guys.
Whenever you deal damage to the pink ship, it spawns a whole bunch of green ships which quickly get in the way and then expand to fill space.

Theophilus
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2012, 06:51:46 PM »

Day Today

Today, I:
-Read the thread again
-Did a bunch of stuff that I don't feel like recounting, but among them, zooming out, making the bullets faster, making the waves all one color, made enemies a teensy bit more savage
-Found a bug in detecting negative hue
-Placeholder intro/menu screen, featuring the menu track as music

Here's a build, just to see if it's a bit better: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9942053/neonstrikers.zip

thanks for playing

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »

Cool :D

"Day Today" is a good header.

THATSHELBY, WHAT IS YOUR DESIRE WHEN IT COMES TO THE END PRODUCT OF THIS GAME? I WISH NOT TO LEAD YOU ASTRAY, FROM YOUR INITIAL DESIRES

IS IT HUES AND FAST-PASED? OR PERHAPS IT IS SLOWER-PACED AND SOMETHING ELSE?

I WANT TO KNOW

Theophilus
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »

WHOO'SE LAST PLACE?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »

@droqen, yeh that's a good idea, have the pink guy spew green babies between you and him. Smiley

aight, had a play, feeling much better about the start of the game, starts nice and slowly. also i like the zoom, however you might need to decrease the blur-trail effect now that things are smaller.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic