Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:31:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBirdyWorld again
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld again  (Read 20544 times)
Ashkin
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »

I think I might need a couple testers to try out just the editor, for the sake of usability.
I CALL DIBS.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »

I'd be willing to do testing if it is needed.

Is there an idea as to how many different items and bosses (if that's to be a thing)we will have? I remember designing some parts of a dungeon around having an item from a previous dungeon in the original Birdy World (said item being the item that let you swim) and having fun with that so yeah. I figure you'd add more boss variety. Maybe it could vary depending on dungeon location? Which brings up another question, will there be a way to implement dungeon puzzles and different dungeon themes according to where the dungeon is placed? (Like a dungeon placed in water may be water themed, while a dungeon placed in a mountainous area may be fire/lava themed or mine-themed. Something like that.)
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 06:45:22 PM »

This sounds so frickin sweet, I'm keeping a close eye on this thread. Also, the graphics looks super, I love the unorthodox color palette you're using!

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 05:57:10 PM »

Alright, thanks Ashkin and Mr. LL!
I know it's only the screen editor at this point, but it's a pretty central part of the game, and I really want to make sure it's intuitive enough to use.  Especially with height as part of it now.
Anyway, I should have all of the elements into the editor shortly, and then I'll shoot you two over a quick build.

This sounds so frickin sweet, I'm keeping a close eye on this thread. Also, the graphics looks super, I love the unorthodox color palette you're using!
Heh, thanks!
I'm actually using a palette I made that includes a bunch of unusual color gradients, just to try to break myself out of dependency on some of the more "safe" colors I would otherwise choose.  I'm still not very good at it, though.

Is there an idea as to how many different items and bosses (if that's to be a thing)we will have? I remember designing some parts of a dungeon around having an item from a previous dungeon in the original Birdy World (said item being the item that let you swim) and having fun with that so yeah. I figure you'd add more boss variety. Maybe it could vary depending on dungeon location? Which brings up another question, will there be a way to implement dungeon puzzles and different dungeon themes according to where the dungeon is placed? (Like a dungeon placed in water may be water themed, while a dungeon placed in a mountainous area may be fire/lava themed or mine-themed. Something like that.)

I definitely will want themed dungeons, complete with (hopefully) enemies, traps, and bosses to fit, but I'm still toying around with concepts for the dungeon structure/sequence, as a whole.

My plan right now is to have multiple animal/character types that you can choose from at the beginning of each new world.  Say, from 4 different species (selected each round from 6).  Each of the different animal types starts from a different starting point (a sort of temple devoted to that animal), and possesses from the start a unique ability (this part would make things a little tricky...)  Ideally, the different teams would be able to "claim" screens by finding the treasure in each one (each screen's ownership would go to whichever team had the most players travel there and find the treasure).  In a claimed screen, maybe enemies wouldn't be able to hurt the reigning team?  I dunno, it's an idea...  It would hopefully support a sense of "home base", and maybe a bit of competition.
Anyway, in order to earn another animal team's ability, you have to go to their temple at their starting point, and go through a dungeon there, which would be constructed by the other three teams, just as normal.

I've been weighing the pros and cons of this idea for a while, and still can't decide if I like it.  On the plus side, it would mean splitting up the players, initially, maybe giving them a little more room to sprawl.  It might offer a sense of competition in fighting over territory, at least farther away from each team's home, where fewer players would travel.  It would give each team a different ability to play with right from the start, and limit the core abilities that you get to the more useful/interesting ones (which I'd pick for each team).  Plus, it would ensure that these dungeons would be far enough away from one another, in what would hopefully seem an alien environment.

The drawbacks, though, would be that there'd no longer be the sense of camaraderie of everyone working towards a new dungeon, then filling it out and choosing a power at the end; it would sort of interfere with the whole "the game is directed by the players" feel that the first one was all about (though, actually I could add in "to be discovered" dungeons in addition to the "other team's temple" dungeons, if I can manage it without over-complicating things...)  And balancing/restricting each team's powers against one another could potentially be a nightmare.  What's to stop the team that can swim from surrounding their temple with water?  (I actually do have a few ideas, but they all seem awfully confusing...)

Anyway, like I said, I'm playing with ideas for the whole structure of the game.  Hopefully I'll come up with a nice compromise by the time I need to implement it.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »

My plan right now is to have multiple animal/character types that you can choose from at the beginning of each new world.  [...]  Each of the different animal types starts from a different starting point (a sort of temple devoted to that animal)

Why not start each world with the choice of just one animal type (just one starting point) and allow people to build the other shrines somewhere down the road?

Oh, I see - you mean you pick one and you're stuck with it o:

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »

Making some headway at the TIGJam.
I managed to refit some of the old scripts, so it was easy enough to get the world all online once again.  Added the functionality for menus, too, which is something I always dread doing.  I've got a basic collision detection going (can't very well use the MMF stuff when working with extra dimensions), and should get weapons and enemies started shortly.
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 04:27:51 PM »

O:
duuuude
i want to make a house in that void

EEEEEEEGH
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »

holy fuck this looked soo gorgeous at TIGJam.

In motion I mean. It looks gorgeous here, too.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:02:33 PM by Xion » Logged

Ashkin
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »

Wow, the void looks really pretty.

Maybe, in this version, the void should be more mechanically/story-wise than just a blank space on the map? Maybe you have to build to keep the void from seeping in and destroying the town at the center of the world? Maybe enemies come from portals to the void, and areas farther out are more enemy-infested because they hop right out of the void? It would make building new areas more dangerous, so there's some risk there.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »

Really excited that you're still working on this. New art looks really lovely. I'd like to be another voice saying that I really liked the collaborative feel of the original; not sure competition needs to take place.

|
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »

okay so I finally read the stuff. Personally I love the idea of adding a competitive element between players. Perhaps there could be another goal that everyone could be working towards as well, though? Like eventually you'll reach zones that can't be claimed or conquered by any team or something, filled with Terrible Creatures.

Enemies not being able to hurt players in claimed zones seems like it would make a huge area of the area surrounding the spawn places very boring? What if it were a more passive bonus like taking less damage or dealing more, or lower shop prices or something?

Also as far as players surrounding their bases with things only they can surmount, what if there were very expensive or non-base-dungeon-loot one-use items that could be purchased that allowed players to temporarily traverse such obstacles?

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »

Dude, was this game on phuban's livestream at TIGJam when he was walking around showing everyone there? If so, this thing looked glorious.

If not, it still looks good.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »

Dude, was this game on phuban's livestream at TIGJam when he was walking around showing everyone there? If so, this thing looked glorious.

If not, it still looks good.

I guess it was?  It was on his route as he went around the room pointing his laptop at things.
...So, thanks!

Wow, the void looks really pretty.

Maybe, in this version, the void should be more mechanically/story-wise than just a blank space on the map? Maybe you have to build to keep the void from seeping in and destroying the town at the center of the world? Maybe enemies come from portals to the void, and areas farther out are more enemy-infested because they hop right out of the void? It would make building new areas more dangerous, so there's some risk there.

An idea to put some purpose behind the void could be interesting.  I don't know what the best way would be to handle such a concept, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.
I suppose even just having strange, void-based enemies seeping into void-adjacent screens would be a pretty neat peril.  And an incentive to build.

Really excited that you're still working on this. New art looks really lovely. I'd like to be another voice saying that I really liked the collaborative feel of the original; not sure competition needs to take place.

Well, there would still be a collaborative feel within each team, I'm sure.  Nonetheless, noted.

okay so I finally read the stuff. Personally I love the idea of adding a competitive element between players. Perhaps there could be another goal that everyone could be working towards as well, though? Like eventually you'll reach zones that can't be claimed or conquered by any team or something, filled with Terrible Creatures.

Enemies not being able to hurt players in claimed zones seems like it would make a huge area of the area surrounding the spawn places very boring? What if it were a more passive bonus like taking less damage or dealing more, or lower shop prices or something?

Also as far as players surrounding their bases with things only they can surmount, what if there were very expensive or non-base-dungeon-loot one-use items that could be purchased that allowed players to temporarily traverse such obstacles?

Yeah, "enemies don't hurt" isn't really the best of ideas for claimed areas.  Those passive ideas would work pretty well, though.

As it is right now, the ultimate goal would be a final dungeon somewhere in the middle of the map, where players aren't allowed to enter until they've conquered the other three teams' dungeons.  Were you thinking something more overworld-y, though?

Items that allow players to get past ability-specific obstacles (other than the hammer, which will hopefully work about how it did before) are a thought that I had had, but are also something I'd rather avoid if possible.  I don't want them to be able to trivialize the actual abilities, or ruin potentially challenging screens, even if they would be expensive or limited.

Alright, here's my current idea for handling different teams/abilities.  Let me know if it sounds too ridiculous/confusing:

Each team's players would start off with their team-specific ability, but it would start off very limited.  You would initially only be able to use it on screens that have been deemed "cleared", with the treasure placed and opened (by anyone), and all screen exits accessible.  The player would get a per-screen indication as to whether he could use the ability.  Otherwise, the player only has a dumbed-down version that's just slightly helpful (like, instead of being able to straight-up swim, you would only not take damage from falling in the water).

Upon beating another team's dungeon, you would not only receive their team's ability, but also some power-whatever-thingamajig which you can take back to your temple.  Upon returning it to your temple, you (or maybe every member of your team?) earn your upgraded power that you can use anywhere, without limit.

Furthermore, if you bring a second team's power-whatever-thingamajig back to your temple, you get a sweet little bonus addition to your team's ability (maybe something that turns your power into an attack?  It'll have to be something worth getting that doesn't alter the game too much).  So you sorta build on your team's original ability by conquering others' dungeons, as well as gaining their abilities.

...The drawbacks, of course, are that it's confusing, and not particularly intuitive.  You have this unique ability but you're not allowed to use it?  What is that?  And although the later players will get a smooth ride when everything around their base is already "cleared", there would still be little problems here and there (like going off the edge of a screen while swimming?  What if you end up in a non-cleared screen?)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »

As it is right now, the ultimate goal would be a final dungeon somewhere in the middle of the map, where players aren't allowed to enter until they've conquered the other three teams' dungeons.  Were you thinking something more overworld-y, though?
this is a much better idea than what I was imagining.

I really dig the idea of having to take something back to your temple from the others, and limiting your team ability to already-cleared screens seems like a good way to prevent/minimize impossible screens...but yeah unintuitive. Seems kinda weird to be switching back and forth between can-use and can't-use screens and stuff...

What if you just disabled team abilities in the editor's test mode and couldn't accept the screen until you touched at least two/three sides in one go? Would at least ensure that each screen is passable in some way by all players, while still allowing for other ability-specific routes in the remaining directions...?

Then you could just have team abilities be always enabled.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:07 AM »

Ooh, that's one I didn't think of.

Seems like it might work.  But it might also restrict the kinds of rooms that people can make.

...Anyway, I've been thinking about it, and I think I found a solution.  I should just be able to just keep tabs on a screen's "passability" per team, and combine the info when the teams acquire one another's abilities.  It should allow each team to use their own abilities freely, allow competing teams to still use workaround items (like the hammer) up until they beat (or just get to) each other's dungeons, and lock it off cleanly afterward, all without bothering the players with convoluted details and restrictions.

I could still work in the little bonuses for bringing things back to your own temple, though.
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »

YUMMY PIXELS

Played the first one, it was cool!

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »

Just polished up the player's main tool for tackling uncrossable screens: the hammer!

Able to reduce others' hard work to rubble with just a few swings.

Clears trees and rocks, lowers walls and ledges, and builds bridges across water.  Also useful for making hidden passages and other little destructible details.  Functions pretty much like it did before, except this time you actually swing it at what you want changed.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »

Hammer dmg is temporary right?

Also:

I AM SUPER PUMPED

hi
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »

There should totally be another item that is like the opposite of the hammer that lets you fix stuff!!!

Maybe fix whole screens all at once but is hard to get. Then you could totally have some asynchronous team vs. team action going on!

... oh and along with that, permanent hammer dmg if it's not already, because permanent shit is rad(exclamation marks)

Whoa! Wait a minute!

Also useful for making hidden passages and other little destructible details.

I was thinking and then I thought to myself, nah, but.

Can you dig tunnels sideways that are really hard to see? 0_0

and finally:

I really like the idea of designing stuff with your team's abilities in mind while other teams can hammer their way through. It'd be interesting, maybe, if a majority of the abilities actually had something to do with perma-editing maps but that might be too much. I dunno!

(It feels like a central part of the game so I'm going off on a wild mutable tangent)

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 03:46:17 PM »

The hammer is sorta permanent/temporary, just like before.  You can use it to clear paths, but when you come back to the screen it will be all healed up.  But all you have to do is strike a spot where the hammer was used, and it will all uncover itself in a chain reaction.

Thus hammer-worn areas become hidden passages and destructible bits.  Or really shoddily-made buildings.

I don't know if I'd really want permanent changes... even if they could be undone, the point of the hammer is mainly to cross the uncrossable.  Some cross-team play based on permanent changes could be neat, but I don't know if I'd want to open the way for outright vandalism.

I plan to have a couple other tools to manipulate an already-finished screen (like a trap-centered anti-hammer and a multi-purpose button), if I can work them in well enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic