Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:32:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBirdyWorld again
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld again  (Read 20543 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »

Oh wow that's so awesome!  I feel honored to have been included amongst your sticky note illustrations!

And man, I need to get back to working on this.  I kinda got overwhelmed after I implemented the enemy-adding system.  So many enemies to make...
CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2012, 06:18:59 PM »

Oh wow that's so awesome!  I feel honored to have been included amongst your sticky note illustrations!

And man, I need to get back to working on this.  I kinda got overwhelmed after I implemented the enemy-adding system.  So many enemies to make...

Get to it!

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »

YES.

|
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »

Alright, time for some update time.  I think I'm overdue here.

The strife system is in place, working much like it did before, where you use the screen's strife tokens to make more power enemies, or else distribute it amongst weaker enemies, until you're out of tokens and get to place the chest.  The main difference is that there are two categories of strife, red and blue, broken up into varying tiers.  The two strife types can be roughly thought of as "movement" and "attack", but they're more loose than that, and can be combined to create a bunch of different enemies with disparate costs.  Hopefully it won't end up being too confusing.

Beyond that, the enemies are slowly being added, some old and some new.  It takes much longer when I actually have to design and draw them (I'm pretty lousy at both of these tasks), but the enemy roster is filling up.

And oh yeah, that's an otter there.  He'll be the swimming guy.  I started working on all the different animal types some time back, but haven't quite solidified them all, or their different powers.  The bird's around too, and is looking pretty different.  But there will be more of that once I've actually finished spriting all the different animals.
...And I still have no clue what I'll actually end up calling the game, what with the bird being only one of the six animal types.

Anyway, I've decided to start work on shops and such, and was wondering if anyone had any shop-type ideas that should be in here.

Old ones that should stay:
Gossip (which should actually have a purpose this time)
Save (naturally)
Bakery (for health)
Info
Warp
Meta tools
Potions (also hopefully functional)
Relics (for one-time rare items)

New ones so far:
Guardhouse (for keeping enemies out of town zones (thanks, J. R. Hill!))
Weapons/Armors/Tools shop (for those non-game-changing upgrades)
Quest house? (haven't quite figured this one out, but meant to serve as a way to create extra little quests and challenges)

Anyway, any ideas?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »

BIRDYWORLD NEWS! <3

How do guard houses work? Can they change hands (i.e. team they're "working for")? Are they permanent emplacements that reject enemies, or do they just pour guard-enemies out to fight non-team dudes?

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2012, 07:04:08 PM »

Exchange House - players can store items for other players to take. If you want to take something out though, you have to put something else in.

Temple - pray to your animal god for various temporary boons. If you pray to the wrong animal god you will be SMOTE, MOTHERFUCKER.

Workshop - construct mechanical familiars to aid you in your travels, from materials you collect.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2012, 04:26:49 AM »

Chance/Fortune House: Put an item or money at stake and try your luck.

Club House: Members/allies only. Store items/money/etc for common use or trade.

Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »

Edit: Posted this before reading about your teams idea, disregard if it doesn't fit.

Very fun game, regarding the first version. I had never seen it before, but what I did play of it was pretty fun and enjoyable. It was a little hard to find the dungeons, so maybe an overworld compass could be a purchased item available.

As for having other players visible, that would be a great idea. Here are a couple of solutions (Maybe not the best, I am not the best programmer) to the issue of syncing monsters. First the harder one, then the possibly easier one. Well, it's going to be hard either way, but here they are:
________________________________________________________________________________________

A) The first person in each room is the "host" who sends the position of the monsters to the other players in the room. When that player leaves the room, the next player in line becomes "host" and sends the position to others in the same room.

Pros: Multiplayer (which seems like a necessary feature for this game type), synced enemies

Cons: Space(number of players in a map or dungeon can ruin the experience of fighting), might be hard to code, might desync or cause lag, "Host" player could cheat the location of enemies locally, "hosts" with laggy connections
________________________________________________________________________________________

B) Have a hub town where all the players can see eachother, and form a party of up to three or four. Outside the town, you only see yourself, and if applicable your party members. The party's "host" will send data regarding enemy locations. If that player quits or leaves the party, they can play solo, and the next available party member will send the location of enemies to the rest of the party. You may have to limit party members to the same screen, sortof like what Wanderlust does.

Pros: Better on space, Co-op multiplayer, synced enemies, need only send data between party members on the same screen and not everybody else in the game, perhaps less lag, seems easier to code?

Cons: "Host" player could cheat the location of enemies locally (though not as bad of a problem if players can leave party, and since it's co-op), "hosts" with laggy connections, may need to limit players to the same screen a la Wanderlust style depending on how your system works

Personally, I like the second method best. Again, they aren't the best solutions, but they should work well enough for something that isn't a AAA MMO Smiley If anyone has any better solutions, feel free to chime in.

Another suggestion, chat is kindof iffy in these types of games. It can either add to it, or take away from it. I like what Slime Online did, which is to use preset hotkey emoticons. Stuff like the traditional smilies, and other stuff like "Help" or "Follow me" or whatever else.

At any rate, I hope you take this into consideration. Multiplayer would add quite an edge to your game! Smiley

EDIT: As for buildings, I really like the Chance/Fortune house suggestion. Gambling for the chance to win items at the expense of loss of gold or hearts would be entertaining.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:31:12 PM by Kit630 » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »

cool game!

Ashkin
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »

cool game!
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9748.0
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »

why would u do that?! my BlinkBlink!

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »

ASHKIN!!!!!! cool game btw, can't believe I have never seen this before.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:32 PM »

Man, I still really want to do right by this project.  I still love the concept and everything about it.

But I'm just so terrible at this whole game making/devlog thing.  I don't think I've even touched the game in half a year, now, and I feel like I've betrayed everybody who was interested in it.  And so I have become afraid to touch it again.

As far as I can tell, I have about everything I need to just make this thing, but yet... I don't know.  There's some sort of impediment before me.

I'm not sure what to do.  I feel like I have no place making games.

Ech... Tired
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:26 PM »

I'm not sure what to do.  I feel like I have no place making games.
Boy do I know that feeling. I can't even garner negative feedback.

I also know the "haven't worked on x game in y months" thing. It actually helps you get a fresh view on things.

You seem to have quite a few people excited about it (myself included) and you love the idea. Just start working on it. Find a feature not implemented yet and implement it. The rest will follow. Smiley

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2013, 11:26:22 PM »

Allow me to present the opposite viewpoint:

There is no shame in abandoning projects.

They can't rise from the dead if you're pretending they're still alive, either!

I love BirdyWorld a whole lot (what it was, what it is, and what it might be) and would love to see it progress and grow, and I don't doubt that you're capable of creating it and finishing it: but it's rarely anything so simple as one's capabilities that prevent a game from being made. I have begun & loved many projects in the past, and I have abandoned many beloved projects. Not all of them come back, but the ones that do come back with a beautiful vengeance.

There are plenty of people who will disagree with me, of course (just look at the previous post, and probably the next one) -- but I think if being mired in this one project (and not knowing quite why; that's the worst part) is making you feel out of sorts with making games in general? Drop it. You don't even have to start something new right away. Just open your mind to chasing new and exciting things.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:47:05 AM by Droqen » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2013, 11:28:53 PM »

Hey everyone, Fifth's working on BirdyWorld again, sweet!

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »

What do you mean, you have no place making games? That's nonsense! People want to see this game made, and you are literally the only one who can do that. It is not only your place to make this game, it is exclusively your place to make this game.

Go to it, sir! Coffee

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »

What Droqen said.
I also know a lot how that feels.
It's not good to wade in sorrow about something you cannot get yourself excited about anymore (at the current time).
Leave it where it is, it won't go away, and move on.
Eventually you may find yourself stumbling about it again, or find some of what you lovedabout it within something completely new and different.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2013, 10:56:14 AM »

-- but I think if being mired in this one project (and not knowing quite why; that's the worst part) is making you feel out of sorts with making games in general? Drop it. You don't even have to start something new right away. Just open your mind to chasing new and exciting things.
I hadn't even considered that.

It's a good point. If you're feeling, I dunno, held back by the project then it may be time to try and move on to a new project.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2013, 11:36:05 PM »

I think if being mired in this one project (and not knowing quite why; that's the worst part) is making you feel out of sorts with making games in general? Drop it.

Okay, I guess I should specify that BirdyWorld itself isn't responsible for the whole "I have no place making games" feel, but rather that it's the biggest victim of the feeling, as it is the project I have with the most meaning.  There were many other elements behind this mentality that I simplified and omitted, as I didn't want to go off on some whiny rant.

But I do appreciate the advice.  I know that there comes times when you have to look at even your most beloved projects, realize that they have become little more than dead weight to you, and cut them loose.  I've had to do that, myself...

That said, I don't believe that BirdyWorld is such a case.  I still look at the game with a degree of love and excitement.  I've picked back up development, and am plodding along once more.  Things were just as I left 'em, no worse for the break.

...But I still suck a devlogs, so... sorry about that.

...And thanks for the support, everyone!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic