Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:28:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBirdyWorld again
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld again  (Read 20564 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »

I've loved every game of yours that I've played so stop being so mean to such a great developer. I don't even think it's possible to have no place making games.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »

Okay, screw it.  I want to make BirdyWorld again.
Ashkin
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 03:10:25 PM »

!!!!!! this is an exciting development!  Tears of Joy
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »

I didn't know what BirdyWorld was until today.

That being said I can now say about time, and that I was hoping you'd continue work on this.

Looks pretty cool though.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »

subscribe.
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »

HEY LOGAN YOU STILL WORKING ON THIS? IF YOU WANT FREE ART HMU
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 09:08:43 AM »

Still going!

I've been mostly working on tiles, which is a painfully slow process.  For me, at least.

Here's the start of a "zen garden" tileset.  It was supposed to be a mine, but somehow along the way it just started looking more like a zen garden, and I sorta ran with it.

You might also notice there's now a dark outline above where any ledge/obstacle cuts off.  Adding that was sort of a gamble, 'cause I wasn't sure if it would be possible in Multimedia/Clickteam Fusion, or at least work at a decent speed.
But it worked, and I don't notice any performance hit, so it stays!  I'm hoping this will help a bit with map readability.

And thanks, tok, but I don't think I need help with the art.  At least not yet.  I'll keep it in mind, though.
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »

cool, im excited. keep at it
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:52 PM »

Oh cool!  Excited about this coming back Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2015, 08:00:23 AM »

Man, I don't know what I was thinking when I figured making six different player characters in an eight-direction top-down game was a good idea.  This is ending up being a lot more pixelwork than I bargained for.  And don't get me started on the tilesets.

So, I've finally made the body graphics for what I hope will be the final choices for the six playable animals.  Most of these guys spent the past few years as just heads and tails, so it's been due.

The Bird.  All characters can jump, but the bird is able to flap a few times in the air, for higher, longer jumps.  Which will be pretty important, given how easy it is to play with height in the editor.

The Otter.  This one has been in a few screenshots.  Can swim in water.  A straightforward solution to a straightforward obstacle.

The Dog.  Can dig in soft ground for a short distance, able to go under walls and obstacles.  Kind of like the teleportation cloak from the original game, though a little more limited and a little more lenient.  Kind of a tricky power to get the hang of, especially when there's height in play.

The Dragon.  Can breathe fire, which lingers for a while before going out.  The fire can be used as an attack, and can also burn small trees and other obstacles.

The Bear.  Can lift and throw small rocks and other obstacles.  There's admittedly some overlap with the Dragon in terms of what the power helps you surpass, but I'm hoping it acts differently enough to make it feel distinct.

The Armadillo.  Can roll into a small, invincible ball.  Useful for getting places quickly and safely.  Doesn't have a lot of practical use as far as getting past tricky terrain, but is pretty fun to use.

The idea is that each game session will have four of these to choose to start from, and that you'd eventually obtain the powers of all four in the session.  And then if you play a separate session you can start as something new.

I guess we'll see how that goes.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2015, 07:29:18 AM »

Getting to the point where I'm happy with the forest tileset, though I may end up separating the ruins from this one, depending on how many tilesets I want to end up with.

I'm experimenting with the larger trees here.  A large tree will pop up when you draw four regular tree tiles together, same as with rocks.

Like so:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:39:15 AM by Fifth » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2015, 11:59:53 PM »

Following. Really interesting tiles. The colors seem a bit strange, but I like it, I think. I also really like the animals - they're well animated and have a pretty good amount of character to them.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2015, 06:42:09 AM »

Thanks, it really means a lot!

The colors are strange because I'm using an unusual palette I made to try to keep from relying on "safe" colors.  Particularly neutral-looking greens, browns, and greys.  I can't really say for myself whether it's working or not, so I just hope things look alright, for the most part.

As for progress, I've started making headway into a mine tileset, which will be the armadillo's home turf.
It still needs quite a bit of work.

Also, since the game is no longer exclusively about the bird, I think I might need a new name for this project.  I have no ideas of what, though.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »

Woah, what did I just stumble on? Game conceps sounds super interesting, subbed!
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2016, 08:06:49 AM »

Alright, time to dust off this devlog a bit, now that I've actually been working on the game again.

So, mostly I've still been working on the tilesets, finishing up some old ones and fleshing out some of the new ones.  It's still a huge chunk of work, but the different environments are a pretty important part of this.

Anyway, I've also got a rudimentary version of the environment selector working in the editor:

Tilesets aside, I've also added in support for different weapons, so a bunch of new weapons are in.  They'll take a bit of balancing and polishing to get right, though.

Beyond that, there's been a bunch of little things fixed, and a number of decisions finalized.  The shops/shopkeepers are pretty much all decided, but still need to be implemented.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2016, 08:45:31 AM »

Looks great so far!

I'd advise you to watch the value of your colors so that the unwalkable areas don't get confused for ground, and vice-versa. Also, watch to make sure you're not pushing too much noise into the tiles and sprites (the green trees from the previous pic, for example).

You mentioned weapons - are there also enemies in the game at the moment?

Keep it up!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2016, 09:31:14 AM »

IT IS ALIVE!
rubna
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2016, 10:55:40 AM »

those colors are out of this world!!
it's awesome you decided to pick this up again!
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2016, 11:15:46 AM »

This looks really nice

liked, subscribed

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic