Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:59:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1323040 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: April 25, 2014, 04:27:02 AM »

At first I was unhappy you had abandoned the ascii-like theme, but ... daaaaaaaaaamn  Shocked
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2381 on: May 01, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »

Update: I got lots of art work done this week, including a new swamp background which I'm very pleased with and updates to some sprites. Here's some new demon sprites and a new croc having a splash around.

@kleiba I've got lots of things to do before the next update. Here's about half of them:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2382 on: May 02, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »

That skeleton looks pretty dangerous. Nice art work so far! Keep going! Also, you mention human generators in your text - I forget if you've answered, but are you planning to have NPCs a la Starbound? Will they perhaps be able to adventure around (wander) themselves?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2383 on: May 02, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »

Haven't played Starbound but MM will have NPCs like Terraria, they'll just wander around in a small region, and attack things they don't like. There will be blacksmith NPCs and others that say odd things. Smiley

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2384 on: May 03, 2014, 01:31:49 AM »

Demon sprites look great! Smiley
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2385 on: May 03, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »

Haven't played Starbound but MM will have NPCs like Terraria, they'll just wander around in a small region, and attack things they don't like. There will be blacksmith NPCs and others that say odd things. Smiley
How are you planning to have players gain access to NPCs? I have always considered this an interesting area that I think is often overlooked.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2386 on: May 08, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »

Update: Woops, nearly missed my update for this week. Worked more on sprites, like this new hell hound/scorpion thing and I also made a little game.

@jasson - mainly just randomly placing them around the maps, e.g., there might me a blacksmith hiding in a cave, or a little village that has 3 or 4 different npcs in. Nothing too fancy.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2387 on: May 12, 2014, 10:46:42 PM »

Update: Just working on two big guys: the Eyes of Omulga, a big blobby eyeball creature with a big hand; and, the Guardian, a tree golem type creature. Also trying to make the combat and movement feel better.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2388 on: May 13, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »

im gonna need to see that tree dude animated.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2389 on: May 13, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »

im gonna need to see that tree dude animated.

dithered to hell to compress filesize

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2390 on: May 13, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »

oh man this looks so awesome!

you were talking about working to make the combat/movement feel better, so i thought i'd put in my 2cents- this is an area where i have a lot of experience, and also an area where i see indie games so often not live up to their potential- just my personal thoughts though so obviously feel free to ignore

looking at your gif, there are incredibly easy cheap tricks you could use to get a stronger feeling of impact in your combat without adding new hit reaction animations or anything:

clear noticeable pushback on guy being hit
it looks like you might be pushing him back a little when he is hit, but it is not enough to really feel the impact.  the backwards force is either very slight, or it is being muddied by being mixed in with the force of his walking movement, or the falloff of the force doesn't have a sharp enough spike at the start to really feel it.  

to feel more impact, i would cancel his walking movement for a short time (like 0.2 secs) when he gets hit and give him a significant enough force (in the opposite the attacker's facing) to see him pushed back at least a pixel or two instantly, probably more.  That force would fall off on a curve like a reverse exponential or something, so the next update the push force is *0.5, then *0.5 again or whatever- so the curve has a very sharp spike at the start...

i don't know anything about the correct mathematical terms, but my animation curve would look like this

with force vs time

forwards movement for the attacker halting to give a feeling of collision
of course you may have perfectly good reasons for choosing to do something different here, but still i'll just say what i would to to get more impact.  

I would push the attacker forwards with a little extra force as he swings.  When he makes contact, i would either cancel his forwards movement, or give him a little shunt in the backwards direction, or both (depending on how big you intend the strike to feel).  

for me this is very important so you feel when you hit.  it doesn't have to be much movement to feel it, but then you have a clear feeling difference between making contact and swinging against the air

scale bounce on the guy being hit to substitute as a hit animation
this is such a useful trick for making impact feel on a budget.  non-uniform scale can give things a bit of a bounce, and layers nicely over whatever animation you've already made.

the instant a guy gets hit i'd multiply his sprite scale (with center point at the base of his feet so he stays planted on the ground) X:1.2 and Y:0.9.  the 0.1 seconds later i'd diminish the strength and invert the axis- eg. X:0.95 Y:1.1 to half the strength.  then 0.2 seocnds later i'd diminish and invert again to X:1.05 Y:0.975, then 0.2 seconds later i'd return him to x:1 y:1

those numbers are very rough guesses, i'd try different strength and timing til you find what's right for your art

well that's my big rambling suggestion- don't feel like i'm bullying you to do things my way Smiley i just like talking about this stuff and i really like moonman, and even though some or all of this might not be right for your game, it can't hurt to share what i think are some super easy tricks for getting more impact
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:26:38 PM by barneycumming » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2391 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:50 PM »

oh man this looks so awesome!

thanks dude, if only I had powerhoof's talent for pixel art! maybe one day we can join forces... :D

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2392 on: May 13, 2014, 11:20:52 PM »

hehe i don't think you need any help with pixel art- all the new improvements are looking amazing!

would be awesome to team up for a game jam or something some time Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2393 on: May 13, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »

Yeh, maybe I'll come over sometime and check out how crawl is coming along, and i'll bring a moonman build. PM me and let's arrange it. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2394 on: May 14, 2014, 03:44:49 AM »

hey thanks for the editted post with the feedback, i'll take a closer look at it tomorrow, but it looks like great advice!

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2395 on: May 14, 2014, 06:16:01 AM »

Wow! He is terrifying!  Crazy

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2396 on: May 14, 2014, 11:50:04 PM »

@barneycumming Thanks for the tips! I implemented some of your suggestions and tuned some of my existing effects. The scaling effect in particular is very effective, and means I don't have to stuff around with hit animations any more, so thanks. Smiley

Update: Combat!

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 14, 2014, 11:59:13 PM »

All the attacks look like they do far more damage now.

beeglebug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2398 on: May 15, 2014, 01:20:27 AM »

Agreed, it's amazing what a difference that makes, the combat feels way more substantial in the second gif.

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2399 on: May 15, 2014, 03:06:11 AM »

@barneycumming - wow just wow. What a difference. Do you have a list of tidbits like this? Would it work in 3d?

Very nice.

Hand Any Key Gomez

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic