Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:51:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1322660 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: January 28, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »

It would be great if you were right. There's certainly be a lull for the lust couple of days. But now it seems that new pledges have almost come to a halt. It would be great if things picked up by themselves toward the end of the campaign.

Moonman is in an excellent position. About half way through the campaign and just under half of the goal. It's certainly beginning the dreaded "lull" but this happens to all campaigns. The longer the campaign, the longer (and generally more severe) the lull. Things will likely remain slow for likely another 7-10 days with volume picking back up in the final week. The final 48 hours will send generate a large number of clicks from Kickstarter sending out emails to people who've flagged the project as interesting but haven't backed it and it will appear on more curated pages. Typically campaigns that are "close" but not yet on target will generally see a flux of pledge increases from the more faithful backers who really want to see the campaign successful.

On some occasions during the lull, it may be worthwhile to notate statistics like Kicktraq indicating a "painfully close" 95% to goal etc to subtly encourage backers to increase their pledges. When things get tight at the end and you're pulling out all the stakes, more brazen techniques sometimes make it worth calling out that if X backers increase by Y dollars = success.

Regardless, I'm confident that Moonman will meet its goal and likely with a bit of buffer room to spare.

HopelessComposer
« Reply #2861 on: January 29, 2015, 12:01:38 AM »

the shovel knight dudes had hella clout from WayForward. not to mention virt doing the music. they had an incredible amount of connections and were able to get a lot of press because of it. they also showed shovel knight at PAX during that time (which aint cheap). press releases, events, etc all of that is marketing. being able to pay people on the team to create that marketing material = marketing money.

Do you really think Shovel Knight became popular because one of the guys on the team was from WayForward? I've honestly never even heard that until now, and I follow games constantly. I've never even heard of virt. This is new information to me, though, and you very well may be right in this case. It seemed to me shovel knight became popular because it was a quality game with a humorous Kickstarter and premise, though. It seemed like the kind of thing that people like to pass around to their friends.

How about the Undertale, Legend of Iiya, Hyper Light Drifter and Radio the Universe guys? Heart Machine had the guy who did the music for Fez, but I don't think they made over 600k because of that. The other teams had nobody of former note on them, as far as I know. They all went well past their goals. Any thoughts on why that is? Not trying to argue, just wondering if you have any insight. I was surprised to hear the Shovel Knight team had some muscle behind them, after all. =)

You guys seem pretty sure moonman will pull through. I'm really hoping it does, for the sake of everybody here. The game obviously has a lot of work behind it, and looks fun. I hope Kickstarter still has enough of a market to support games like this. = \
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2862 on: January 29, 2015, 12:06:04 AM »

Woah why wasn't I getting TIG notifications for all this discussion? Damn you TIG!

Anyways, the KS is going pretty well. As I understand it, most projects have a lull period in the middle, and I've heard of some projects getting 70% of their funding in the last week. So I'm pretty happy, and only a teeny-tiny-weeny bit concerned. Got a big marketting push tomorrow, and

of 3 gameplay trailers that I'll be showing off in an update soon. I hope you guys are following the campaign, as I've been posting a lot of stuff there that I would usually post here. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to cross-post here atm. Sad

I'll try to drop in occasionally, and you can be sure I'll be here in the last week, hassling you guys to help me spread the word of the MOon. Wink

Moonman Alpha Footage (Dungeon)

And here's a rad fan art I got from Marek..

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: January 29, 2015, 12:53:30 AM »

Lookin good!
I mean, the sword slashing sounds like slapping, but who says slapping enemies with swords doesn't make for good game design? Cheesy
No, but really, the music is pretty cool, and the art is goddamn amazing. Looking forward to alpha release! Keep up the good work!  Gentleman

Edit: I also like the way you showed placing blocks as something that helps you navigate and avoid lava.  That's what more games need to do!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:00:09 AM by Octopus Tophat » Logged

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: January 30, 2015, 05:25:17 AM »

Backed! Good luck with the rest of the campaign. Also posting this to follow the thread. Wink
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2865 on: January 30, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »

Thanks Mattie!

Octo -- haha the sfx are obviously placeholders. It's obvious, right? Wink

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2866 on: January 30, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »

Thanks Mattie!

for real? i think the slap rules.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2867 on: January 30, 2015, 12:42:34 PM »

It'll be a chunky mix of metal on metal, metal on squish, squish on squish, solid on metal, etc..

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: January 30, 2015, 02:15:14 PM »

Kickstarter and everything, you're in the big leagues now!

I'm not that interested in the game but this thread alone is worth the bucks.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2869 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »

It'll be a chunky mix of metal on metal, metal on squish, squish on squish, solid on metal, etc..
SLAP MODE OR I REVOKE MY BACKING. IM BACKING 10K LISTEN TO ME.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2870 on: January 30, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »

We'll see... Wink

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: January 30, 2015, 03:04:14 PM »

Thanks Mattie!

Yeah of course man, I was just joking, haha. I'm sure they'll be badass when they're done.
Keep that slap though, it sounds funny.  I'm sure you'll find somewhere to put it.  Wink

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2872 on: January 30, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »

Smiley

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: January 30, 2015, 06:02:34 PM »

Keep the fucking slap SFX.

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: January 31, 2015, 03:56:38 AM »

Hi Bom! Way to go with your KS -- past 50%, whoo-hoo!

I think the gameplay vids are a great addition to the campaign. However, it seems to me that second video is much more interesting than the first one: the latter is so dark a lot of the time that it's hard to make out what the game actually is, I find. I mean, everyone who's followed this forum thread knows but this is targetting peeps who have never seen the game before.

Also, I think it would be cool to hear your voice on the videos commenting on what's going on. For one, it explains the gameplay better than when you just have to make it out yourself, but also it adds a personal touch which I think is great for indie games. I think it's nice to know more about the guy behind the game you're supposed to back.
Of course, that's just an opinion -- surely, if you ask 10 people about how to run your campaign you'll end up with 11 different opinions. :-)

Kleibs
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2875 on: January 31, 2015, 09:54:30 AM »

I pretty much agree with kleiba's comments.

I'd be more interested in something more focused, where you had something in particular you wanted to show and gave some commentary on it.  If you want some inspiration, I think Tyriq's utility rock video was a pretty great video-form devlog:

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2876 on: January 31, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »

Thansk guys, that's very helpful. I was hoping to do videos like that and hopefully will get some done soon.

Update: Paul Soares Jr, a very famous youtuber, did a Let's Play / First Look of Moonman. I sent him a build earlier this week and he was kind enough to take a look. Check it out!

Moonman First Look by Paul Soares Jr.

Polygonzo
Level 0

Hide your wings in a ghost tower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2877 on: January 31, 2015, 06:56:50 PM »

Watching the Let's Play now. Game looks great! Cool vibes. And nice King Crimson reference Smiley

It's kinda scary handing an early game over to a let's player...but I think Moonman comes off very well.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:05:21 PM by Polygonzo » Logged
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2878 on: January 31, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »

Thanks Poly Smiley I was super scared to do that, but he did a really great job. Ha I didn't put the King Crimson reference in, it was suggested by BenW. Wink

Oh .. Spooky Poo! You're the person I was talking to somewhere else but I forget where. (I've got like 20 different Moonman threads around the place at the moment!)

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2879 on: February 01, 2015, 04:32:48 AM »

Made a moonman fanart, good luck with the other half of the kickstarter!

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic