Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:04:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1320161 times)
switchfox
Level 0

1024 Chickens? Tasty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3000 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »

As for language -- I'm yet to settle on this but I'm leaning towards using a simple symbol language instead of English. So, for instance, instead of displaying "Fragment lies south of here" you might see a green circle and an arrow pointing downwards. I want to keep this game accessible to all without going through a lengthy localisation procedure, and so a simple symbol language might be the best option. Some things, like the Tombstone eulogies, would still be in English.

I like this idea... Reading text can slow down the game. Since moonman doesn't speak (right?), it seems weird to be reading a significant amount of text anyways.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: February 26, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »

As for language -- I'm yet to settle on this but I'm leaning towards using a simple symbol language instead of English. So, for instance, instead of displaying "Fragment lies south of here" you might see a green circle and an arrow pointing downwards. I want to keep this game accessible to all without going through a lengthy localisation procedure, and so a simple symbol language might be the best option. Some things, like the Tombstone eulogies, would still be in English.

I like this idea... Reading text can slow down the game. Since moonman doesn't speak (right?), it seems weird to be reading a significant amount of text anyways.

It can slow down the game, but it can also be critical for telling the player what they should be doing, in what order they should be doing it, and so on. Nothing is more frustrating than not understanding what you're supposed to be doing, or hitting a progress gate you can't figure out how to get through.

If you're going to rely entirely on symbols, those symbols need to be completely unambiguous and encountered with enough regularity that the player can associate them with specific locations, objects, etc.
davisdude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: February 26, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »

Hey! I've been slowly making my way through this DevBlog (it would be easier if you guys would stop posting!  Wink)
I just saw this tweet from the developers of Crawl, and thought everybody might want to see it

Link to tweet.
It seems even the smile was captured!
switchfox
Level 0

1024 Chickens? Tasty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3003 on: February 26, 2015, 10:13:37 AM »

It can slow down the game, but it can also be critical for telling the player what they should be doing, in what order they should be doing it, and so on. Nothing is more frustrating than not understanding what you're supposed to be doing, or hitting a progress gate you can't figure out how to get through.

If you're going to rely entirely on symbols, those symbols need to be completely unambiguous and encountered with enough regularity that the player can associate them with specific locations, objects, etc.

Agreed. There should definitely be a balance.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3004 on: February 26, 2015, 02:10:08 PM »

If you're going to rely entirely on symbols, those symbols need to be completely unambiguous and encountered with enough regularity..

Well the thing is that they are just hints. It's not like they contain the secret key to unlocking a door, for instance. At worst you won't have any idea what they are saying and will have to manually explore the whole area, but at best the symbols will be as clear as other symbols in games (like hearts as health for example) and will be a fun mechanic. We'll see how this develops and I'm looking forward to getting feedback from you guys about the specifics. Smiley

@davisdude -- Yep it's super fun to see Moonman as deity in Powerhoof and I can't wait to check it out. I <3 Powerhoof, they are nice guys Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3005 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:08 PM »

Update: Updated website, finalising tshirt and postcard designs, and I've sorted out my humble tax form for now. Mete with an accountant and put together a basic budget. Too much non-game stuff!

Had a poll for the pig tshirt and had an overwhelming vote for a design so I'll be running that one. Also here's the basic concept for the navy one. (And the green one you've seen.)

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3006 on: March 01, 2015, 04:21:20 AM »

So long and thanks for all the pi
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3007 on: March 02, 2015, 10:49:37 PM »

Update: http://discuss.moonman.io/t/initial-work-on-game-launcher/977

I started to throw together a simple game launcher today. The launcher will exist only for the alpha/beta builds and will:

• check that you've got the latest version;
  • report any important news;
  • link you directly to the forum for bug reporting;
  • show the game log; and
  • offer some launch options.

Over time I'll add more functionality to help with reporting issues and getting some basic analytics (opt-in, of course).

Auto-updating is in the too-hard basket atm. If we were doing the alpha-testing just through Steam then it would have been a breeze, but afaict the humble store API isn't well documented. For the first few builds we'll just go through this indirect route and see how it goes.

These launchers are just simple throwaway things and so I'll just directly build them with the OS-specific APIs. Here's a simple one I threw together in Winforms that grabs data from a file on moonman.io and compares it to the current version etc.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: March 03, 2015, 01:16:33 AM »

Subtle advertisement
Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3009 on: March 03, 2015, 01:29:14 AM »

Huh, launcher is looking nice. Inspired from minecraft? Smiley

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3010 on: March 05, 2015, 12:07:13 AM »

Thx Mixerman. Quarry -- ?

Update: Worked on the launcher and integrated crash reporting for the alpha testing in a couple of months. Boring stuff but necessary for the next stage of Moonman. Once it gets onto Steam I'll do away with this bugsplat crash reporting system, but for the non-steam alpha stage I think it'll be very useful.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: March 05, 2015, 02:48:46 AM »

Talking about the Teslagrad and Beyond Earth shortcuts on the background Wink
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3012 on: March 06, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »

Oh right, haha. They are in my play queue, haven't had the time to play them yet. Smiley

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3013 on: March 11, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »

MOONMIN

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3014 on: March 11, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »

MOONMIN

lol, that's pure gold Corny Laugh

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3015 on: March 12, 2015, 12:34:46 AM »

@ZeroTec - heh, that's why they pay me the big money...

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3016 on: March 12, 2015, 02:40:16 PM »

I love it and tweeted it <3

xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3017 on: March 12, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »

hey eigenboom just wanted to say congrats on your kickstarter! the game looks great !!

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3018 on: March 12, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »

Thanks xier! :D

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3019 on: March 12, 2015, 11:04:41 PM »

Update: Almost finished the launcher. All parts of the launcher and updater are now working and my build system now automates everything. Every time I update the game, I'll just be able to run a script which builds it, sends the update info to s3 (where the updates are stored), sends the debugging symbols so I can debug crashes, and outputs a manifest which the launcher will use to check for updates.

Details about this will be available when the alpha is released, but basically the build you get from humble will include a launcher that checks for bleeding-edge updates. These are optional, but will be updated far more often than the humble build. You'll put your alpha key into the launcher and it'll grab the latest updates. The keys will also be distributed through humble. Every now and then I might update the launcher, and in that case you'll need to re-download it from humble in order to keep updating.

I've just got to finish off the server-side key/update mechanism and then I can close this part up, and get back to work on the actual game. This work was a bit of a deviation, but it's important that we have a simple method to update, and now we do!

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic