Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:57:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1322384 times)
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3020 on: March 13, 2015, 01:23:59 AM »

See these are the bits of game dev nobody ever talks about - the seedy, less glamorous side Smiley

How are you managing cross-platform builds - or are you just targeting PC at the moment?

I ask as I'm just about to start restructuring what is currently an iOS project (although the main code is all C) managed through XCode into something that I can build multiple target platforms off of, probably using CMake.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3021 on: March 13, 2015, 12:33:15 PM »

No cross platform build yet, but when I do I'll just have separate makefile for osx and Linux. I think Cmake is overkill for personal projects without complex deps or build rules.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3022 on: March 14, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »

Update: Did 50 postcard sketches today. Just over 100 or so to go. Here's a few photos!

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3023 on: March 14, 2015, 11:08:22 PM »

Wow, I honestly didn't think you would do them all individually. That must have taken some time Smiley

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3024 on: March 14, 2015, 11:39:39 PM »

Look great Ben!

Nice table and working space too.. I'm jealous!
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: March 15, 2015, 02:12:42 AM »

Look great Ben!

Nice table and working space too.. I'm jealous!

...except maybe for the IKEA stool  Droop
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:02:59 AM by kleiba » Logged
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3026 on: March 15, 2015, 02:50:11 PM »

Took about 5 hours for the 50. The remaining ones will be quicker as I'm just going to copy each design 3 times with minor variations.

Yes that table is awesome, it's in my shared office space. Mind you, I have a really sore back and neck today from slouching over like that. I'll be more careful with the remaining ones :D

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3027 on: March 17, 2015, 12:02:04 AM »

That's one impressive  collection of sketches! Hope the neck's better

snowkie
Level 0

Life is not a deathwish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3028 on: March 21, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »

I think you should setup some board or something to draw on surfaces with degree.
I've done some comics before on flat surfaces for about a month. Every night I have to put some ice to my neck. Tongue

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3029 on: March 21, 2015, 10:06:02 PM »

Dont really know if this is a good question to ask in a game dev forum, but whats the benefit of a small studio for devving vs for example your bedroom w/ a desk and pc?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3030 on: March 21, 2015, 10:27:15 PM »

Dont really know if this is a good question to ask in a game dev forum, but whats the benefit of a small studio for devving vs for example your bedroom w/ a desk and pc?

It's a great question and definitely relevant to this forum. Personally I worked from home for about 2 years at the start of Moonman, but I couldn't stand being at home anymore and was getting a little crazy. Working from a space outside of home (preferably around happy people) has done a lot for my mental wellbeing and enthusiasm. I have heard of cartoonists or illustrators who have worked from the same home studio for most of their life, but I don't think I could ever work for extended periods from home again.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: March 22, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »

Wow amazing
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3032 on: March 24, 2015, 03:36:53 AM »

It's a great question and definitely relevant to this forum. Personally I worked from home for about 2 years at the start of Moonman, but I couldn't stand being at home anymore and was getting a little crazy. Working from a space outside of home (preferably around happy people) has done a lot for my mental wellbeing and enthusiasm. I have heard of cartoonists or illustrators who have worked from the same home studio for most of their life, but I don't think I could ever work for extended periods from home again.

Huh, interesting. Well, once i get through grade 12 next year, ill try to work up some money, i guess ^^

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3033 on: March 24, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »

Connor -- It's expensive, so consider other options first. E.g., if you're going to university after school then just use the spaces there. I'm working full-time so it makes sense for me.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3034 on: March 26, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »

Update: http://discuss.moonman.io/t/march-27-2015/1039

We're now back into full-steam development. @aliceffekt has begun work on the soundtrack and I've been working on a few different things.

My most important job was to organise the project for the next 6 months, and figure out exactly what was needed to get the alpha out the door in May and the public release in 9 months or so. I've been working for a long-time out of a simple google doc, with a big list of TODOs for the game. But I needed something a big more flexible and so I'm now using Trello to organise the project. I have two main streams of development, the Ongoing and Alpha streams. The Ongoing stream contains those long-term tasks (like designing a flexible and re-usable world generation system and architecture) and the Alpha stream contains all those little bugs and features which need to be done before the alpha is released. In Trello I split these streams up into 3 lists each (Todo, Doing, and Done). So for example, when I've got an Alpha day I'll be working just on the Alpha Doing list. There are also some non-development streams like Design and Art which I've assigned some days to.

On the development side I've started to rebuild the world generation system with an eye to the future. The old system had accumulated quite a bit of badness and was based on assumptions which don't hold anymore. So I've torn out the guts of the old system and started designing a much better system. This is a sizeable but necessary refactor. crazy

In future updates I'll go into detail about the different algorithms and structures behind the world generation. Here's the first screens from the new World Generator. We're starting from simple structures again, but by the alpha release we'll be much further along and hopefully be generating some fun little forests to play around in.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3035 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »

Wow, cool. I know it was probably difficult to scrap that entire world generation, but I imagine it'll be better for it, and it sounds like you have a better handle on how things should go in the next generation.

Also, you've got the items and terrain objects and stuff already, so it'll probably be quicker this time around to get back to where you were.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3036 on: March 28, 2015, 02:53:09 PM »

Yeah it's a bit nerve-wracking but I'm definitely not starting from scratch, just reorganising what is there and throwing out a bunch of bad things. I'm now building it as a big toolkit of different parts, that I can re-use between the different levels. For example, I've now got a nice Polygon and Raster types, which work together to let me define polygonal regions and rasterise them into blocks. The rasters then can feed into other systems. I'm also throwing out boost::geometry and replacing it with Geometric Tools, which is a whole lot easier to use and has a whole bunch of awesome tools which I look forward to using.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3037 on: April 02, 2015, 08:40:15 PM »

Update: http://discuss.moonman.io/t/april-3-2015/1044

Continuing along from last wee, I've been working more on the basics of world generation, specifically for the forest area that will be in the alpha. Some more interesting aspects of the generation include distributing trees, vines, and mushrooms, and placing large rock clusters on the surface.

The trees are generated from pre-built templates (there are around 20 different tree forms atm). The tree planting algorithm then distributes them in a roughly gaussian distribution across the surface of the world, only "planting" them where there is soil or clay to grow out of. The algorithm then starts laying the tree from base to top, stopping if it encounters a rock or other obstacle. You can see a bug in the planter in the image below, where one trees leaves have grown some dirt -- this is now fixed. The last part of the tree planter fixes the base of the tree by adding extra trunk tiles to connect it better to the ground beneath.

The vine and mushroom planting algorithm is very simple at the moment. It just searches for empty attachment points within a cave, and then attaches a vine, stalactite, or mushroom. I plan to improve this by forming interesting clusters and allowing world parameters to feed into the algorithm. A simple example is that cave depth will affect the types of flora and fungi that grows.

This image is a little less clear, but I started experimenting with adding more interesting features to the forest surface. Here, some pre-built rock clusters and bushes were distributed across the surface. I'm not too happy with it but it's a start!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3038 on: April 03, 2015, 01:08:41 AM »

Looks good! Are you keeping the black foreground on the tiles though?
DifferentName
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3039 on: April 04, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »

This game looks great! I missed the kickstarter, but got in on the pre-order! I'm looking forward to playing the alpha.

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic