Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:13:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1319812 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3140 on: July 29, 2015, 11:33:40 PM »

Hey zorg, thanks, I actually tried that as well, but I thought it added too much extra noise. The current mockup looks like this:

But I also experimented with a transparent hotbar..

I feel like I'm going around in circles most of the time, haha

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3141 on: July 29, 2015, 11:52:42 PM »

Also transparent guis are really hard to control when you don't know the background colour, as your gifs show. Unless you have a bright outline colour that will always be brighter than the background. Or alternatively have some fancy blending system.

a test with transparency:

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3142 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14:29 AM »

I found this old mock-up that you made. Like a mock-up as in "it'd be nice if the game could look like this one day"

and look at where you are now!!! clapclapclap

you deserve a smooch you lovely boi
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3143 on: July 30, 2015, 12:21:30 AM »

I found this old mock-up that you made. Like a mock-up as in "it'd be nice if the game could look like this one day"

and look at where you are now!!! clapclapclap

you deserve a smooch you lovely boi

oh i barely remember making that! thx for the enthusiasm, i need it! i'm in the grinder atm, still a long way to go before Moonman is finished but its nice to see that I have gotten somewhere in these last few years, haha Kiss

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:43 AM »

I think putting the icons directly on a semi-transparent black is too noisy, too. But if you add a pure black box around all icons, they'll alwas be fine with every background. I'd use the semi-transparent black to soften the edges of the icon boxes, while preserving some gutter lines between the icons (not visible on dark backgrounds). To group icons, a second layer of transparency could be added. But i have to agree, transparency is very hard to balance and i'm not sure if it fits to your game view at all. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3145 on: July 30, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »

I think putting the icons directly on a semi-transparent black is too noisy, too. But if you add a pure black box around all icons, they'll alwas be fine with every background. I'd use the semi-transparent black to soften the edges of the icon boxes, while preserving some gutter lines between the icons (not visible on dark backgrounds). To group icons, a second layer of transparency could be added. But i have to agree, transparency is very hard to balance and i'm not sure if it fits to your game view at all. Smiley

Hmm .. interesting having the black icon background and transparent outer section ... I'll have to think more about this, thanks!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3146 on: August 06, 2015, 01:16:06 AM »

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3147 on: August 06, 2015, 01:26:51 AM »

Terrifying!  Crazy
Froshin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: August 06, 2015, 02:11:57 AM »

I've somehow managed to avoid noticing moonman up until this point, which in retrospect probably was a good thing because I have a tendency to get overly excited about promising game projects.  Hand Shake Left WTF Hand Shake Right

I'll henceforth be stalking you over here and on twitter! Cheers to a beautiful game  Beer!

The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3149 on: August 06, 2015, 03:03:53 AM »

I'm amazed! Everytime I come to see how moonman is going, I got stunned!

The pixel art is amazing, cute but dangerous!

And the HUB looks very tidy and clear. I agree with transparency too, maybe it doesn't fit moonman.
Anyway, keep it up!

Visit our devlog!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3150 on: August 06, 2015, 04:24:10 AM »

Thanks everyone, I'll keep working on this manic moon mission of mine. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3151 on: August 07, 2015, 11:36:18 PM »

Update:

Hey, here's a quick devlog update! It's Saturday night and I want to go home owl I just completed a big milestone, and so we now have 4 basic levels in the game: Palus, Mesa, Seed, and Ember. This last month was focussed solely on world building, and so I'm now really looking forward to the next month: which is all about gameplay and implementing a functional boss area. Here's the trello cards -- that first one is now done!

The two new areas: Seed and Ember are in very basic form, and just have a very block types and plants in them. Ember has some cool columnar formations which were fun to design and implement. And the cave systems underneath are red and fiery and burny.

Seed is more organic, with fun coral formations, gloopy caves, and so on.

Here's a gif of me 'painting' with the coral tile in the game engine. Some of the tiles are quite complex -- being both context-sensitive and constructed out of little pieces.

In addition to this we've started designing the item and combat system. To help with that I started writing some random generators that would output items with various stats etc. Here's an example. I look forward to writing a devlog post about the item system sometime in the next few weeks.

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3152 on: August 10, 2015, 07:10:54 PM »

I've lurked in this thread a lot but I don't think I've ever actually posted, ha.

It's incredibly inspiring to see how far you've come with this game.
Seriously, this is amazing stuff.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: August 10, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »

The evolution of this game from the first time I see it has been... insane.

I really need to bust open the alpha but another part of me wants to hold out till your vision for this game is complete and I can just enjoy the full experience.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3154 on: August 10, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »

Thanks guys. @oldblood -- yeh I feel the same, I hold off on games like URR, Pioneers, Delver, Cogmind, etc. (all on TIGs) because I want the final experience. Moonman alpha is pretty raw, just a techdemo at this stage. But I'm working hard to get a 'real game' finished in a couple of months -- the minimal viable moonman (mvm). Tongue After that the real work begins!

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3155 on: August 11, 2015, 03:13:39 AM »

"the minimal viable moonman "

this made me laugh

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3156 on: August 13, 2015, 11:56:18 PM »

Update: It's Friday evening so it's devlog time!

The GUI has been redesigned and is now much better. The biggest change is the design -- everything is packed more tightly and designed to get out your way so you can focus on your moon mission. Some functional changes are:

-The addition of the "food pocket". Putting a consumable in this lets you eat it quickly by pressing 'q'. (The different keyboard layouts are supported, so its 'a' in azerty and an apostrophe in dvorak.)
-You can now pick up items in the gui by either clicking them or pressing the mouse and dragging. The drag-mode is quicker for quickly tidying up. You can still right-click to pick up half the items in a stack.
-The hotbar is now a separate inventory panel, you can drag and drop things from and to there when the inventory is open.
-Clicking the moonman face toggles the inventory (also 'e' still does that).
-More tooltips! Hovering over an empty slot tells you what it is (e.g., "armour slot", "food slot"), and hovering over an item in a crafter tells you what ingredients it needs in the tooltip (as well as in the grid.)
-Zooomable! You can change the gui size from within the game.
-Item counts and hotbar shortcuts have been visually separated.
-New (placeholder) health bar style

There's some space in the design and a few blank panels, eventually they will fill up with quest tokens and other bits of information. There's still some things to be done in terms of design and colours, but I suspect the gui in the final game will look very similar. I'll try to push the new gui out to the alpha soon so anyone interested can have a play and see if it all works ok. I'm moving on from the gui now, but there are still some important things to do:

GP and I have also been working on some fun creature concepts. Now that we're creating content I don't want to spoil too much, so I won't be showing too much. But here's some of the harmless terrestrial life that will be spread throughout the game. Little bugs, snails, bees, slugs and moths.

Over in another thread a few of us were discussing an interesting game mechanic we called the 'junk forge'. The basic concept is that there will be an object or NPC that you feed junk too -- basically anything you don't want, dirt tiles, left over lumber, etc. Once you feed it enough then it reacts in some way, giving you some small reward or possible causing strange totems to appear in other areas.

Slightly off-topic, but I've also been playing around with a generative sound tool called pure data. I successfully got it embedded in a simple SFML program. In pure data you create sound programs by visually arranging and connecting up filters and generators and other elements. I spent two evenings and built this 303-like synth. I've done a little audio programming in the past (I worked on a sound library called Beads) but it was a lot of fun to come back and play around. I'm super interested in procedurally-generated audio for games, and games like Fract have successfully incorporated pure data. I look forward to playing with this kind of tech in the future .. but it won't be a part of Moonman (in a real-time sense).

Anyway, that's it for now!

CYON4D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: August 14, 2015, 12:56:43 AM »

Looks great. Coffee
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the devlog but I am really curious about which framework/library you are using to make Moonman.
I asume you are coding in C++. Are you using SDL, SFML or any other library?
Thanks!

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3158 on: August 14, 2015, 01:13:13 AM »

Very impressive!"
Keep up the good work!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3159 on: August 14, 2015, 01:55:00 AM »

Looks great. Coffee
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the devlog but I am really curious about which framework/library you are using to make Moonman.
I asume you are coding in C++. Are you using SDL, SFML or any other library?
Thanks!

Thanks. I use SFML Smiley

@Bombini - thx!

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic