Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:48:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1322923 times)
Braffolk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3420 on: November 29, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »

Woah, that looks super pretty.
But don't you have to draw a lot of different animations for every single item now, because weapons can obviously have different animations you would have to animate every single armour piece?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3421 on: November 29, 2015, 09:06:55 PM »

Woah, that looks super pretty.
But don't you have to draw a lot of different animations for every single item now, because weapons can obviously have different animations you would have to animate every single armour piece?

Yep. There's going to be about 9 armour templates (3 light, 3 med, 3 heavy). And each will need about 10 or so sets of animations (run, attack w light weapon, attack w heavy weapon, climb ladder, etc). So it's a lot of animation, but still is only a few weeks of work. Luckily I have a great animator for that. Smiley

And we'll be doing it in stages, so maybe half of the armour templates will be in the early access build.

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3422 on: November 30, 2015, 03:32:13 AM »

Laughed a little when I saw the sword going outside the square, haha. At first I thought it was my monday state of mind, but nope.

The game looks awesome, as always.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3423 on: December 05, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »

Thx Yaw Tongue

Update:

We've changed focus to the new humanoid animations and system. This week we managed to get the pipeline set up and the first test animations into the game.

The set-up for the humanoid animations is similar to the creature animations: we use Aseprite for the animation work and then process that with some tools. The humanoids present a bigger challenge because they are decomposed into lots of parts (arms, legs, torso, and head), each with their own animations and anchor points. We use layers for the different parts with animation tags for their modes. Pivots and anchors are represented as single pixels on layers with custom names. A script I wrote then takes all this info and converts it into something the game can use.

In terms of game design, we decided to create 9 armour templates: 3 light ones, 3 medium ones, and 3 heavy ones. Each template will then have colour mapped variations. For instance the heavy metallic armour might be mapped to iron armour, gold armour, and dungeon armour. The colour maps also apply to the base models: the only difference between a human, moonman, and goblin is the colour map and head sprite.

Here's some in-game screenshots of one of the new armour templates. The basic animations now work for this heavy armour set, and over the next month or two we'll continue working on the other sets and animations.

A cave goblin has also appeared. This guy will likely appear as a playable character.

The new focus on the animation system means that the mesa build will take a while longer, but it'll have all new animations and sprites, so it'll be worth the wait. :Some other work done this week:

• Updates to base weapon sprites (see below)
  • Knights in Mesa are now serialised/persisted
  • King appears in Mesa:Castle
  • Moonstone spawned in Mesa:Castle
  • Internal: Colour map supports up to 16 colours
  • Internal: Event queue is now double buffered

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: December 06, 2015, 12:19:04 AM »

I'm still in love with moonman

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3425 on: December 06, 2015, 12:21:13 AM »

So much work has gone into the game, you are really trying to Reach for the Moon.

(I'm sorry...  Who, Me?)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3426 on: December 06, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »

He's still the main character Smiley He just has more friends now.

So much work has gone into the game, you are really trying to Reach for the Moon.

(I'm sorry...  Who, Me?)

Ooh, another good title Tongue

Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: December 09, 2015, 07:53:01 AM »

Hi!
Wow, this looks amazing! It is definitely one of the games I most want to see finished. Keep up with the work, I´m sure you´ll surprise us again!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3428 on: December 10, 2015, 04:19:50 AM »

He's still the main character Smiley He just has more friends now.

Moonman & Friends?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3429 on: December 12, 2015, 01:23:14 AM »

Thanks Eneko! Smiley

Moonman & Friends?

It's definitely on the list!

Update:  I've cleaned up and started updating the animation system. This includes:

an eating animation,
a little bounce when landing,
a slight pause when you're in the air,
a delay and slight anim when turning,
a better ladder climbing animation (and the shield now goes on your back),
the hotbar goes inactive when you attack, and
quite a few tweaks to improve the movement and control.

This coming week we'll be fine-tuning these more, implementing a proper shield blocking system, and dropping in some more armours.

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: December 13, 2015, 04:59:47 AM »

Nice leg metamorphosis while walking!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3431 on: December 13, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »

Nice leg metamorphosis while walking!

Oop, don't look at those

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3432 on: December 14, 2015, 12:57:26 AM »

Shouldn't he go in front of the platforms when climbing the ladder?

I know either way is OK, just that going in front of the platforms seems more traditional.. Smiley
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: December 14, 2015, 05:48:49 AM »

My bi-monthly comment to remind you that you're building art and that this game keeps getting more badass...

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3434 on: December 19, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »

Shouldn't he go in front of the platforms when climbing the ladder?

I know either way is OK, just that going in front of the platforms seems more traditional.. Smiley

He goes in front of non-collidable blocks, but those are collidable (they just have an extra sticky-outy bit). Would be too much work to fix that one case, but thanks for the observation Smiley

My bi-monthly comment to remind you that you're building art and that this game keeps getting more badass...

Haha, thankyou! See you in a few months.

Update: Hey! This is the last devlog for two weeks, while I take a little time off over xmas. It looks like the mesa build won't be out until mid-January, mainly because we've been doing major overhauls of the human movement, clothing, and animation system. It's going to be a fun build to test though, so I hope to see some of you alpha-testers around then.

This week we've finalised most of the animations and now have around 15 different sets of clothing. Melee now incorporates blocking, which happens automatically if you are not swinging your weapon. We've fixed and refined a lot of small things, for example: when running up a slope you no longer launch into the air at the end; jumping up onto a block is easier (as I've attached little invisible platforms to the edges); and, the hit-boxes for melee now depend on the size of armour and shield you have (for superior combat feelies).

In terms of the new armour sets, we now have full animations for two light armour templates and one heavy armour template. These have been built in a flexible way to support a lot of variety when colour mapping, and we'll get at least 10 sets from each template. Overall, there will be about 12 different templates, and so maybe 100 different sets.

Here are two of the light armour sets and some colour mappings:

I've also implemented some updates to the crossbow system. It now feels better to use and the sprites are different. I decided to change the crossbows into "bows on guns", so I could draw the bow side-on.

I hope you all have a great holiday break. I'll be taking a week off between xmas and new year, but then I'll be back and sprinting to get the mesa build out! The first few months of next year will be super busy and we'll finally start to see huge amounts of content being dropped into the game. We'll need all alpha-testers on deck to help tweak enemy difficulty, AI behaviour, block strength, crafting recipes, level structure, and so on.

See you soon.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: December 19, 2015, 11:30:20 PM »

I can't unsee dangling bit as flesh dildo because my eyes landed on the third one on the third line, then being confuse as why all dildos where of different color or even split
 Facepalm

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3436 on: December 20, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »

@jimym - It will now forever be in your mind.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3437 on: December 22, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »

Happy holidays everyone, see you all in 2016. Smiley

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: December 22, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »

It's only fitting he is making moonwalk in that gif

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: December 23, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »

What happened to his face?! Hes just a smile now!! Where did his eyes go?!?!

MOOONMAN NOOOOOOOooooo. your eyes.

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic