Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:04:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioNew Composer seeking advice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Composer seeking advice  (Read 1193 times)
Alestance
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »

I have been writing music since January of this year. I'm not entirely sure exactly how long I have been writing exactly, but I've been improving slowly, if not steadily over the course of these long months. This was my first song from 8 months ago. I'd like to think that was composed mostly of luck rather than talent or skill. Things just came together in an interesting way, despite all of it's flaws.

Now I've come a long way from that specific piece, so lets get to more recent works.

As a warning, I hate, Hate, HATE when people sugar coat opinions and advice. Don't let me down lightly; give me the blunt honest truth. Thanks!
Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »

Hi Alestance!

To be blunt, I would have to say your music is too good for having been composing to what I would compare with myself as a short period of time Tongue  I've been makin' music from a fairly young age now for ten years, and in the same boat Smiley  I'll blame technology advancements haha, but that's just me sayin' you have talent.

And by that, I mean it as a bold compliment.  I can't offer much advise as I am still working on my own goals and they will be different, but I do think goal setting might be a good way to continue moving forward as you are.  If I lose sight of my goals, it can be tough to advance..  Don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you like, and maybe try to learn from artists who positively inspire you either through listening, or even getting in touch with them if they're on a social network or something that permits.  Musicians can sometimes be very helpful, skillful, and humbly willing to pass on knowledge, and can be equally be seeking your listening pov too! 

Some music posting sites if you're not already a member of a few (like the one hosting your mp3s for you) will have members from pros to Joes who you can constantly seek critique, review, suggestions, opinions, and advice from.  Challenge yourself and write frequently - both of which I don't do enough but wish to do more.  If game composing is something you really want to do, then don't second guess it!  I have had my music in two indie games by the same developer in 2007 or '08 or so and I'd put it right on par with the quality of music that you're currently making ('xcept it took me 6 or so years to get there No No NO).  It'll probably be tough to land that gig (that goes for anyone trying to break into the scene), but stay connected, keep promoting and you'll be closer.  A wise artist once said along the lines of "Something bad happens when you don't promote - and that thing is nothing"  He goes by the name of Soulima; I believe I read it from him.

"Playground of the Gods" was my fav listen; I downloaded it too, and thank you.  That's me saying, I like it the best out of the bunch, it sounds the most refined and keeps interest solid; the instruments, timbres, mix, compositions, are nice too - but that's not to not say, someone else's opinion could vary.  Keep people informed as much as you can without being a bother - if you can take criticism on your tracks and bare them to hear already, then you're covering huge ground, at least, and again, when comparing to my own endeavours - but not everybody advances at the same level or rate Wink

A site called iCompositions helped me alot to bring me up to speed a bit when I was curious about where other independent musicians were at these days.  I learned new programs and techniques, and though I would say it is a good grounds for getting to know other ind. composers, you might have to dust away some sugar to get the real deal, but most people would be willing if asked to give a more technical in-depth review.  It is a highly community based site however, like SoundCloud also, and the way to be heard is to take the time to listen to/help others when you can too.

And now that I've just finished rambling on, giving myself advice Tongue I do apologize for the lengthy reply!

Best regards,

Trevs.

Alestance
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 08:35:32 AM »

That is nothing to apologize for. As a matter of fact, it gives me a new perspective.

For the longest time, I've been way too hard on myself and my work, believing it to be an utter waste of time, a hobby that would never grow to be something more. I mean, eight months, most people put eight or more years into learning how to do this, and what chance have I to compete with that? Having no money, no formal training, and not even being able to play an instrument should be, in theory, reasons I should be far worse at this than I am. So I believed it, and perhaps even striven to keep it that way.

I think I have a clearer point of view now, and I thank you for that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic