Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:48:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsMidlands Indies - [Old thread]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Midlands Indies - [Old thread]  (Read 23087 times)
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:07:06 PM »

This thread is no longer used, the new one is here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30112.msg823257#msg823257

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

Starting a new topic for this so it's easier to update with times & dates, and a bit more official, and is less off topic from the original post.

Midlands Indies is a group who started meeting up in about April 2011. Nothing serious, just a pub meetup for indie devs in the West Midlands / Warwickshire area of England. So far we've had meetups in Coventry, Leamington and Birmingham. The current trend is to alternate between Coventry and Birmingham each month.

We meet up on the second Wednesday of each month.

It's just a pub meeting; a good excuse for a few drinks whether you have something to show off or not. Everyone is welcome.

As long as I'm there, our table at the pub can be identified by the presence of the Midlands Indies 1up Mushroom!

Please note: The 1up Mushroom is smaller than you think

-----------

Dates are posted to this Google Group, if you want an email reminder.

We use the twitter hashtag #midlandsindies.

Next meetup: Wednesday 14th November, 6:30pm, at The Post Office Vaults in Birmingham.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:50:11 AM by Ishi » Logged

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »

So the next meetup is in Coventry. There's been talk of going to The Aardvark. I've never been there and can't remember who suggested it. It's nice and close to the station so it suits anyone travelling. It's also a nice tradition to go to a new pub for every Coventry meetup. Anyone got any opinions one way or the other?

For the record in the new thread, so far the Coventry meetup has been at Browns, Whitefriars, Inspire, and The Gatehouse. The Leamington meetup has been at the Jug & Jester always.

Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:31:12 PM »

I approve of this thread. Smiley

PaulForey
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 02:39:40 AM »

The new pub every time we're in Coventry tradition has clearly emerged because Coventry is such a dynamic and fast-moving city, clearly.

The Aardvark is quite nice though, and pretty easy to get to from the station.

Good meet-up, though, and I look forward to the next Smiley
radcow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 04:32:31 AM »

I'm going to try my best to make this one does any one want lift I'm traveling from the kidderminster area
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:53 AM »

Cool, the more the merrier! And it can get quite merry.

Edit - not wishing to imply that we get ridiculously wasted. Coffee

PaulForey
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:29:52 PM »

We don't get ridiculously wasted, we get ridiculously delayed by trains.
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »

Announcement: Warwick Game Design is hosting a 48 hour game-dev competition on the weekend of 18th - 20th November.

You should come along if you're interested! Details/signup are on Eventbrite: http://wgd48hrnov11.eventbrite.com/

Also, the next meetup is on Wednesday, at the Aardvark in Coventry at 6:30: http://g.co/maps/8w6pz

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »

unfortunately already got plans for the 18th, but will be sure to book the next date off work!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »

Updated the first post with the December date. I presume everyone is happy with the Jug & Jester still as Leamington venue?

Good meetup tonight. Shame my laptop battery died; I'll try to remember to buy a new one before the next meeting. Still got some useful feedback on Trixie though.

The Aardvark's drink selection wasn't the best, decent place otherwise though. It's a bit premature but if anyone has any Coventry pub suggestions for January, shout up. I'm willing to break the tradition of new Coventry pubs and return to a previous venue though.

JoGribbs
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 03:01:47 PM »

I'm considering coming to this if people don't mind.

Does anyone know how to get from Birmingham to Leamington Spa using public transport?
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 12:23:39 AM »

Everyone's welcome Smiley

Never specifically made the Birmingham - Leamington journey myself, but the trains look pretty quick and regular. http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/Birmingham/LMS/141211/1737/dep/141211/2215/dep

JoGribbs
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »

Sweet, thanks!

What time do you guys usually meet?
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »

From 6.30, until about 11 at the latest. Sometimes people leave earlier than that.

JoGribbs
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 12:56:54 PM »

Hmmm... It'll take me about two hours to get there/ back, so I'll probs leave like nine or ten.
John_wallFour
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 03:53:11 AM »

What's the turnout for December looking like?  I only ask because I went to a similar event in Nottingham and there was 1 other guy there.  We has a pleasant enough evening and enjoyed a few beers - but being based in Derby I didn't have to travel far.

Derby to Leamington - is about a 4 hour round trip by train - which I'm happy to do if it's going to be a reasonably active session Smiley

(Although would be fun to go back to the old Jug and Jester - been about 10 years since that was a regular of mine.  Ex-codies!)

wallFour.co.uk
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 05:31:27 AM »

We've had a consistently good turnout for a good number of months now. 3 was the least we had, but that was only the second or third meeting ages ago.

I'll be there for certain at least.

bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 05:32:01 AM »

What's the turnout for December looking like?

I'll definitely be there, with my usual collection of iDevices, and hopefully some worthwhile progress on my new project...  So that makes at least 2 of us...

Can't guarantee that there'll be many there, as it's getting close to xmas - but I suspect that there'll be at least a few of the regulars?

(The Coventry meet-ups seem to have been a bit more popular though - been wondering if it's worth just making them all Coventry next yer?)

Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »

I'll be there too.

There does seem to be more people coming from Coventry than from Leamington. You're probably the person likely to be most annoyed by such a change...

P.S. if we want to organise a Midlands Ludum Dare meetup, we should probably start thinking now. Obvious options to me: someone's house, my company's office (in Coventry), a room on Warwick campus.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 07:59:11 AM »

What's the turnout for December looking like?  I only ask because I went to a similar event in Nottingham and there was 1 other guy there.  We has a pleasant enough evening and enjoyed a few beers - but being based in Derby I didn't have to travel far.

Derby to Leamington - is about a 4 hour round trip by train - which I'm happy to do if it's going to be a reasonably active session Smiley

(Although would be fun to go back to the old Jug and Jester - been about 10 years since that was a regular of mine.  Ex-codies!)
there was one in nottingham?Huh?Huh?? shit how did i not know this

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic