Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:19:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPavilion - Now with video footage and screen shots!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Pavilion - Now with video footage and screen shots!  (Read 19524 times)
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 03:50:38 AM »

So here we are, over one year later, what happened?

We submitted for IGF and all was good except we wasn't truly happy with either the visual style or how the game played. So we withdrew from the IGF and started to rethink the whole concept.

What then was born was as much a new game as something with influences from the old concept. We kept the isometric style, the way you didn't directly interacted with the main character and that you're more or less wanna find a way through the level.

The most obvious change was made to the visual style, we dumped the pixel graphics and went for a more landscape painting style. Also the mechanics has been fleshed out and experimented with, the main character no longer just stays at the beginning but has it's own life moving around on the level while you're trying to get him where you want. And instead of interacting with those robots we changed it so that you interact with different things in the environment that then affects the character.

Other technical specs that have changed is that it's not only mobile anymore, we will also release it on desktops since we switched to unity it's more flexible now. We also changed name from Pathfinder to Pavilion due to fear of legal issues with another Pathfinder IP.
And finally we submitted to IGF again, more satisfied then the last year, even thou this build was pretty rough and early in development.

So check out some more screenshot and a small teaser video at http://inthepavilion.com. Hopefully we'll have some kind of demo in the coming spring if we're lucky. It would also be awesome to hear your initial impressions of these screenshots and such, I know it's not much to go on right now but soon we might have more stuff ready to show.
Hope you enjoy it! Gentleman

mes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »

wow Hand ClapCheesy
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 07:47:22 PM »

wow Hand ClapCheesy
Gentleman

Today I've been playing around with the iPhone build(thank god for Unity making it so simply to make stuff work on multiple platforms), works quite good out of the box, thou some of the hitboxes might need to be bigger so you don't need to be so precise when interacting with stuff.

Then I was thinking on how to move the camera would be best, would two or one finger be the most optimal?

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 05:19:10 AM »

Looks incredibly beautiful. The art style certainly makes me want to try it out.
rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »

Bennett - Thanks! We absolutley want the world and atmosphere of the game to feel real but with a tat of surreal mystery. Something that you want to revisit. I myself love to get lost in landscape paintings by painters like Caspar David Friedrich and Arnold Böcklin which is a good source of inspiration for the backgrounds and overall world.

Though as the graphic artist of the game I am simply doing what I enjoy to do. Makes me happy that you like it!

I guess this was my first post Smiley Hey folks!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 01:26:15 AM »

The artwork is simply gorgeous..  Kiss
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 01:32:02 AM »

Woah. It's quite a leap from the previous style. It's inspiring to see people passionate enough about their vision to reincarnate abandoned projects.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 08:32:32 AM »

Yeah, to step back and rethink your game essentially from the ground up in at least one aspect is pretty admirable. Very nice graphics, too - reminds me a lot of Bastion.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »

I'm really curious about the gameplay, this game seems to be pretty unique and the artwork is awesome  Grin
I'll be waiting for the demo!
rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »

The artwork is simply gorgeous..  Kiss

Thanks! I love to make detailed art like this and we kind of didn't want to make a tiled world, so it was a win win thing I guess. Fits our small two man team pretty good too Smiley

Woah. It's quite a leap from the previous style. It's inspiring to see people passionate enough about their vision to reincarnate abandoned projects.

Yeah, we felt that the robot version could have been a solid puzzle game. But after a while we didn't really feel emotionally connected to it. So it started with some small graphical changes and some very interesting discoveries within the core design that kind of lead us to start over in a new diection. So it was never really abandoned, just redone. And that decision opened up a whole world of new possibilities and interesting interactive situations. But we absolutely believe that being passionate about what we do is very important.

Yeah, to step back and rethink your game essentially from the ground up in at least one aspect is pretty admirable. Very nice graphics, too - reminds me a lot of Bastion.

If we wouldn't have questioned our own project in the way we did we wouldn't have been where we are right now. And if we compair the fairly uninspirational robotic level puzzler of Pathfinder to what Pavilion is today it has been worth all the wasted graphics and scrapped level design.
Thanks for the kind words about the graphics. The isometric perspective is really fun to work with and it is the closes thing to 3D I guess. We absolutely want to push it as far as we can making a surreal but believable world.

I'm really curious about the gameplay, this game seems to be pretty unique and the artwork is awesome  Grin
I'll be waiting for the demo!

Yeah, the gameplay is pretty much what made us excited about the whole game idea in the first place. The graphics pretty much just looks like this because it is what I love to do and feel comfortable with. Cool to hear that others like it too!
Hopefully we will have something playable in a couple of months Smiley

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »

Yeah, we felt that the robot version could have been a solid puzzle game. But after a while we didn't really feel emotionally connected to it. So it started with some small graphical changes and some very interesting discoveries within the core design that kind of lead us to start over in a new diection. So it was never really abandoned, just redone. And that decision opened up a whole world of new possibilities and interesting interactive situations. But we absolutely believe that being passionate about what we do is very important.

If we wouldn't have questioned our own project in the way we did we wouldn't have been where we are right now. And if we compair the fairly uninspirational robotic level puzzler of Pathfinder to what Pavilion is today it has been worth all the wasted graphics and scrapped level design.
Thanks for the kind words about the graphics. The isometric perspective is really fun to work with and it is the closes thing to 3D I guess. We absolutely want to push it as far as we can making a surreal but believable world.

So yea, the following month from the IGF deadline last year was kind of a crucial period of reforming of the game. I think the thing that disturbed us the most with the gameplay was the lack of real depth. Instead of increasing the depth to making it more challenging the challenge in the game came from making the levels more complex(more robots on the levels, more clutter), which didn't really rely on understanding the underlying system.

Also at the time we got kind of inspired by this two brilliant design talks, which made us approach the core design of the game from another perspective. I highly recommend anyone interested in game design to watch them.

One other thing we didn't mention was that after we rethought the whole project and got a new prototype up and running was that we applied for some government funding for taking the prototype one step further. So that went through and we've been lucky to work full-time on the project the latest months. In that progress we had to create a design document so we have some visuals that we haven't shown to anyone yet and I thought we start posting some of them here, tigsource exclusive. Wink

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 01:25:16 AM »

... My Word!

Dear OP,
this is gorgeous.

Regards,
amazed fan.

Moar!

Oh, and them famous Jon Blow talks which I have yet to see. Thanks for those links as well!

I really like the lighting of the art. Great way to weave some light into the otherwise dark scenes, making everything look very appealing. Words can't express how much I love that picture with the great moon in the background. The colours are lovely as well. I can't say no to green tint in movies and games.

Is that a balloon basket floating by the moon?

rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 02:26:55 PM »

... My Word!

Dear OP,
this is gorgeous.

Regards,
amazed fan.

Moar!

Oh, and them famous Jon Blow talks which I have yet to see. Thanks for those links as well!

I really like the lighting of the art. Great way to weave some light into the otherwise dark scenes, making everything look very appealing. Words can't express how much I love that picture with the great moon in the background. The colours are lovely as well. I can't say no to green tint in movies and games.

Is that a balloon basket floating by the moon?

Tackar Skomakar'n!

Yes, there is a bunch of interesting talks out there. Blow has some very thoughtful views that can be very helpful when looking for and discovering the fundamental things within the design. Of course you have to apply it to your own project.
We have looked at a couple of helpful talks during production and I am sure we can post some more talks if you/people are interested.

Yeah, a lot of the lighting came about just to make things stand out and read clear. In the end we would really likte this to feel like you are walking around in a painting.
And if you haven't seen our short teaser trailer just yet you should have a look at it. There you will find a moving moon and the answer to your question Wink

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2012, 02:15:37 AM »

Sorry for not posting anything for a while, but we've been busy drinking spiced Christmas wine and eating Christmas ham, but here's a little something Rickard put together for you guys!

Merry Christmas!

rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 06:20:50 AM »

Hey!

A bunch of people seemed curious about the gameplay and we are kind of torn about this matter. We don't want to keep people completely in the dark but yet not spoil what is unique and interesting with Pavilion. Not that we want to keep the ideas to ourselves while in production but we think that the experience of the player will be much more profound when not knowing about certain  fundamental things.

And on the other hand we feel that we have something kind of new here, and there isn't really any other games that has explored our ideas in the way we are doing. So it would be extremely hard to expalin what we are doing without being too specific and spoiling things.

It is like if you found a Mammoth and had to describe it to a friend who has never heard of a Mammoth before..
-Yeah, it's like a hairy elephant...
Just by saying that your friend would have a pretty good idea of what the Mammoth is.
But if you would have to describe a completely new animal that is unlike anything anyone has ever seen, then you would probably have to be more specific about things...

Of course, Pavilion isn't unlike anything anyone has ever seen, especially not on the visual surface, but it is still hard to describe and is probably best undiscribed to a certain degree. Smiley

The first (old)idea had a lot of similarities with Lemmings, different characters with different abilities. You basically commanded a bunch of robots/beings to move and use their abilities to open up a path through a labyrinth environment. Could most likely have been a solid puzzle game if taken further.
But it was when we started to think about who was traversing that open path that we really found something interesting.
Especially if the player wouldn't control the traversing character.

The image (purely explanational) shows the puzzle that kind of got us to scrap the whole Lemming idea and focus on the traversing character instead. It was a simple puzzle to begin with, but we found that it carried a lot of depth when we started to disect it. The image shows two solutions to the same puzzle, but that singel puzzle can harbour more solutions than that. And that was the starting point that opened up something completely new to us.
Just as nature has laws of gravity and things like that, we found that it could be applied to human actions as well....

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:28:04 AM by rickardwestman » Logged

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 07:02:37 AM »

Interesting.. and intriguing! Wink
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 07:28:50 AM »

Intriguing game !

The art is wonderful , love to see it in action

Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, but we're now back from some well deserved winter vacation and are currently putting together the first act of the game, making the story board and designing new levels. So here's some of the story board images we produced, some of them will be in the game, some will not.

We were also thinking that we would show some video footage from the IGF build in the coming weeks, so keep an eye on this place.  Wink

overlordror
Level 0

Editor-in-chief of bears

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 10:23:43 PM »

Oh wow. Your visuals are really stunning. The way you're laying out puzzles could be especially devious, too. I can't wait to see more. How meaty do you expect the game to be once it's finished?

Also off-topic, I know you stated your release platforms as Windows and iOS, but I'm all for an Android version if that becomes a possibility. I love playing games on my Nexus tablet.

http://NintyGamer.com | Managing Editor
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 11:18:51 PM »

Thanks man! Indeed, the actual level design is probably the thing we spend most time on, even more then producing the final art or the code. Level design is a tricky thing, but also kind of the core of the game. Tired

And actually, except Windows & iOS, it will also be released on Android, Mac OS X and Linux. Beer!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:25:41 PM by Flink » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic