Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:14:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPavilion - Now with video footage and screen shots!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Pavilion - Now with video footage and screen shots!  (Read 19538 times)
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 03:02:55 AM »

Forgot to answer about the length of the full experience; as it looks now we might clock in on 3 to 4 hours.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 03:11:38 AM »

Even without textures those latest pictures look really good, the colour choice with the more desaturated colours works really well I think.

What do you design those pictures with, an ingame editor, or a 3D modeler?
Martyr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 03:14:14 AM »

I believe that you should update the OP, wonderful game by the way

Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 03:53:11 AM »

Thanks guys!

The story board images were made in Photoshop if I'm not completely wrong, but rickardwestman could probably reveal more details about that process...

rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 04:32:22 AM »

Even without textures those latest pictures look really good, the colour choice with the more desaturated colours works really well I think.

What do you design those pictures with, an ingame editor, or a 3D modeler?
Thanks guys!

The story board images were made in Photoshop if I'm not completely wrong, but rickardwestman could probably reveal more details about that process...

Yes, they are done in PS. We have a basic grid to start off from and then I do a quick line drawing on top of the grid. After that is made I use the polygonal lasso tool and the paint bucket to fill the scene with colour.

I never use any pre set or primary coulors, I always pick up that diagram colour spectrum and choose from taste. There you can also see a sample of the colour you previously used and match your next colour to that. So then you get a feeling for how the colours play against eachother. After a while that goes super fast to do so I would absolutely recommend people to go that way when doing some initial colour passes.
When you have a bunch of colours in the scene I just use the Alt-key to colour pick. This is a short command that is superior to the erasor tool in my opinion. I rather re-paint something than erase it, in most cases.

Below is a quick workflow sample of the playable storyboards that we are doing now. We kind of developed this workflow while putting together our 2012 demo, missing some steps Smiley but you see how the finished background is matching up with the grid and all...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:16:33 AM by rickardwestman » Logged

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:41 AM »

Thank you for posting that, very interesting! But what is the 'diagram colour spectrum' you refer to?
rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 05:12:03 AM »

Thank you for posting that, very interesting! But what is the 'diagram colour spectrum' you refer to?

Hehe, sorry, I kind of made that name up myself, I don't know the proper english word for it, not the proper swedish word either I guess  Well, hello there!

I mean the Color Picker window that pops up from clicking the suare icon of the currently selected colour, which is shown at the low end of the tool selecting window.
There you get a rainbow-ish slider to choose colour from and a diagram (might not be the proper word) where you choose the saturation and light intensity of the selected colour.
To the upper right of the rainbow slider there is another square that will split in half if you select a new colour and that will then show both the previously selected colour and the current colour and tone. So a good thing is to just glance at that split square and see how the colours match.
That is great when you want to put a completely new colour in the scene. Just Alt-click a colour that represents the overall tone of the image and then click the icon for that selected colour which brings up the Color Picker window and you are now free to pick a new colour and match it.

Of course it is good to check out some of the general ideas of how complementary colours play with eachother in teory, just to get a sense and advice. But just testing stuff and mixing and matching your own colours will give you an eye for things pretty soon I guess.
Of course it is a matter of taste too.

Hope I was clear enough  Smiley

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2013, 06:07:38 AM »

Hope I was clear enough 

I think so, thank you! Smiley

So, do you apply the textures in game, or in Photoshop too?
rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2013, 07:14:57 AM »

Hope I was clear enough 

I think so, thank you! Smiley

So, do you apply the textures in game, or in Photoshop too?

All graphics are done in photoshop. This is a 2D game. Though using the isometric perspective we can create a fake depth kind of. We might use some parallaxing layers to enhance that feeling but that will be only cosmetics nothing that would benefit the gameplay. 

I have been working as a concept/texture artist, matte painter and illustrator for the past 5+ years so that is why I wanted to make the graphics highly detailed and both painted and photo sourced. It is what I feel comfortable doing so it kind of came natural. It is a lot of fun too  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:42:31 PM by rickardwestman » Logged

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 02:09:43 AM »

I just want to drop by and say I adore the artwork on this! It stood out to me when I was browsing the IGF entrants, and I went to your website to find out more. I had no idea it was linked to the Pathfinder game I saw you guys post here last year, but that makes it even cooler. I thought the pixel art was very cool, but the new style makes it really feel like it's evolved into the best version of itself.

Anyway, good luck and I look forward to updates!

Thanks a bunch man!
I hope your projects are coming along great too! Yeah, haha, feels good that this year's IGF demo didn't make us realize something that would fundamentally change both the game design and graphics. The demo was just a scratch on the surface of what we want the final version of Pavilion to be but we gained some good experience out of putting that demo tegether. And we definitely feel we are on the right track.

Below is a snapshot of what was happening in my mind in the beginning of 2012:

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 02:14:39 AM »

Shocked

I suggest an aspirin..  Wink
rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:55 AM »

Shocked

I suggest an aspirin..  Wink

Haha, can't find the migrane smiley...

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »

That just looks freakin insane!

rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »

That just looks freakin insane!

Thanks for the support Mono!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »

Hey Folks!

We recently did an interview on PAVILION for the Indie Games Channel which got published today.
Feel free to read it here:
http://indiegameschannel.com/wp/2013/01/31/visiontrick-medias-henrik-flink-on-pavilion/#more-10744

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »

Thought I show 2 videos I recorded while trying out Vine.
Both shows a bit of how the character behaves in certain situations. Coffee

Repin on the run
Slide Away

rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »

Hello  Well, hello there!

Went through some old folders and found some really early concept/pitch art for PAVILION. The second image is the very first isometric test we did when trying to find the graphic look.

Video. If you didn't notice Henrik put up some short In Game footage in post #57. Feel free to have a look at that too.

Have a nice sunday!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »

A BUNCH OF NEW PAVILION UPDATES!

We have been silent and hard at work for a handful of weeks now.
Earlier today we put up an OFFICIAL developement blog: http://blog.inthepavilion.com/
-where anyone directly can follow the journey of Pavilion.
There you will also find a link to what is now our press site, where you can find some not yet seen:
high res downloadable screenshots,
the 2012 teaser trailer,
and links to interviews and stuff.

*Don't be suprised if things start to happen there pretty soon  Well, hello there!

Btw, we are also now on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/inthepavilion

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »

excellent updates!

rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »

Thanks man! There will be more pretty soon...

btw, that short "Herzog on Dreams" clip is great, so true.

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic