So, most of the way through development and into the polish and test phase, I've decided to create a devlog for our game NitereAbout the gameTitle:
Windows/Mac/Linux/Andoird/iOS (can you tell it's a unity game?)Team:
BilbyCoder - Design / Programming / Sound & Ledi - Design / Art / Sound
Description: Nitere is a colour matching puzzle game. Players must direct beams of light around the board attempting to create links to score points. The game is over if beams ever cross paths.History of Development
This game has been in development for longer than I'd care to admit. It has seen a major update in Unity, and I swear that I'll release it before it sees another. That is not to say that this has been in constant development for all that time, it has been started and restarted. We attempted to create the graphics in 3D, theme it after steam punk, thought about having little avatars push and pull pieces around the board, all sorts of crazy ideas. Development was further complicated by the fact that I also work full time and Ledi had study to complete.
We tried to make it in flash then a brief stint of HTML5 until I finally settled on Unity as my primary game development environment. We then started jumping from game idea to game idea, not focusing on one project to completion.
Last October, returning from GCAP I made the decision that I needed to stop jumping from game idea to game idea, knuckle down finish and release a game. I talked it over with Ledi and we decided that game to focus on was Nitere. So I restarted the project for the third time.Where are we up to
I consider the game to be feature complete, apart from a few minor tweaks and additions. I am happy with the game flow. So all that is left is polish and bug testing.Challenges
After putting the game up on the feedback thread (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41806.0
) and getting a couple of responses the primary challenge I have identified is messaging. We have heard a few times that people felt lost and aimless playing the game. Not what we wanted.
After considering this over the last few days I think the problem is messaging. Once we have talked to people and communicated our intention they have gone back to the game and often had a good time.
While most games will apply pressure on the player (the constant falling blocks in Tetris for example) our game does not, and is not intended to. The player has freedom to play how they wish, taking easy low scoring moves or riskier high scoring moves as they wish. There is no timer or time pressure in the game, no requirement to have all the beams link with nodes, no set puzzle to solve, and no need to use all the pieces in the inventory.
The aim of the game is focused on beating your personal bests.Where the game is going
The solution we have come up with are two changes to the game. The first is to add a section to the tutorial making these objectives clear. The second is to add a section to the game over screen which highlights how many turns the player played, what the largest number of nodes cleared in a turn was and what their final points were. A line highlights their best score in each category.
Hopefully these changes will add some sense of direction that the game has been lacking up to now. I hope to have the changes implemented in the game this week, ready for reddit's feedback friday and an update to the feedback thread in this forum.
While the game is pre-release it can be played for free at http://binarysprite.itch.io/nitere