Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1151700 Posts in 48713 Topics- by 39931 Members - Latest Member: tkot

August 30, 2015, 02:40:58 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsKnuckle Sandwich - surreal RPG about cult exploration and terrible jobs
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Knuckle Sandwich - surreal RPG about cult exploration and terrible jobs  (Read 8542 times)
neko.works
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2015, 05:32:09 am »

Looks great! Following Cool

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2015, 05:22:36 am »

Did you make your website yourself? I noticed you are hosted on Tumblr, but it doesn't look like any of the default themes.

Yep. It's custom CSS built over a blank Tumblr template. I post the GIFs over there too, so people can follow it on Tumblr to get updates. It's probably not the most elegant setup, but for now, I'm not posting much news outside of the GIFs and the updates on this devlog, so it suits. Here's an example post.

signed up for the mailing list  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

You're username seems accurate! Hand Thumbs Up Right

[image]

I'm loving this effect, that is really cool

Thanks, but which one? There's a few going on in this GIF!

wow this game looks really awesome man. So, this subpixel tweening, is that an algorithm of your design? I've been thinking of doing something similar, but just upscaling the sprites, and refining the animation instead.

It's fairly intentional! I mean, it's a weird Gamemaker quirk, but I'm using it to my advantage to get more character out of some of the animations. As long as there's enough animation going on, I think it looks A-OK.

Also, you said you're doing everything in surfaces?
I'm trying to figure out how you did that tree thing. So I'm guessing you have a couple layers for each color, and then you just warp and blend?

Sorry, this game is beautiful, I'm definitely inspired by it.

Also, that grass is kickass.

Thankyou! Anyone who uses Gamemaker will know that it's mostly black magic that makes it work, but here's how I do that background effect (and yes, it's surfaces)...

Create Event
Code:
//create two surfaces
surf1    = surface_create(room_width,room_height);
surf2    = surface_create(room_width,room_height);

Dang, that was easy. So how it works is, we draw everything to surf1 and then we draw that surface to surf2, but with our colour and rotation effects.

Draw Event
Code:

if (surface_exists(surf1)) {    //always good to check because some computers are silly
   surface_set_target(surf1);   //set the drawing target to the first surface
   draw_clear_alpha(c_black,0); //clear the alpha

//draw whatever you want here
   //for example, i wrote:

with (tree) draw_self();

surface_reset_target(); //reset the target and stop drawing
   }
else {
surf1    = surface_create(room_width,room_height); //recreate the surface if it doesn't already exist
}

Okay, so that just gets us a surface drawing whatever we want. In GIF I showed before, I'm only drawing the trees, but you can put whatever you want there. This next bit is also in the draw event.

Draw Event (Part 2)
Code:
if (surface_exists(surf2)) {
     surface_set_target(surf2) //set the target to our second surface
     draw_set_blend_mode_ext(12,8); //this is the blend mode I used to get the smudge effect, but do experiment!
     draw_surface_ext(surf2,0,0,1,1,.1,c_white,1); //this makes the surface repeat itself, but rotating slightly each time
     draw_set_blend_mode(bm_normal); //reset the blend mode
     draw_surface_ext(surf1,0,0,1,1,0,make_color_hsv(current_time/10,255,255),.75); //draw our first surface but with the colour changed

surface_reset_target(); //reset the target

//finally, draw the main surface *again* but this time, it's our final surface
     draw_surface_ext(surf2,0,0,1,1,0,c_white,1);
     }

else {
     surf2 = surface_create(room_width, room_height);
     }

And here's the result:

Of course, I 100% recommend playing with the effect! Playing with the scaling, rotation and blend modes can go a long way!

Signed up for the mailing. And nope, imgur works at the new place haha.  Cheesy

Okay, cool. I'll use it as my host from now on. :~)

Looks great! Following Cool

Thankyou! I totally recommend the mail list if you want to be notified when there are big announcements! knucklesandwich.biz/digest

----------------------------------

So, the arcade will have new little games by me (and possibly others) inside! The first one is called Ladder Climber 2000 and it's about what would've happened if Y2K was as bad as everyone thought it was gonna be. Naturally, you can't rely on technology, so you gotta use ladders to save yourself from the global meltdown disaster.

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2015, 12:12:19 am »

I added in little animated icons to represent controls in the dialogue recently.

There's a little gang of youths in the game called the Sunset Kids. What are they up to? No good, that's what!

Osteel
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2015, 07:10:10 pm »

I love the idea of the arcade haha. Imagine when people are streaming speed runs of games inside Knuckle Sandwich.

Also, icons in dialogue are perfect. In love with everything about this game. Smiley

eliasdaler
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2015, 12:53:44 am »

This game looks amazing. Earthboundish theme is a great selling point.
Following.

Re:creation dev | Blog | @EliasDaler
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2015, 03:44:27 am »

I love the idea of the arcade haha. Imagine when people are streaming speed runs of games inside Knuckle Sandwich.

Also, icons in dialogue are perfect. In love with everything about this game. Smiley

<3 Maybe I'll add a speedrun mode for the arcade games. Imagine that!

This game looks amazing. Earthboundish theme is a great selling point.
Following.

There's a lot more to it than that! Thanks for the nice words. I feel like I say this every second post, but if you're keen on big updates and don't want to check in here all the time, feel free to subscribe to the mailing list: knucklesandwich.biz/digest

No GIF today, instead, take a look at one of the many art updates that I'm rolling out:

Crabby
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:04 am »

They're even more scary and delicious now!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:48 am »

I never clicked on this thread before because... I don't know why, actually. This looks amazing!
TheWing
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2015, 04:50:34 am »

It's now the fifth time I've been like "hmm.. Knuckle Sandwich.. sounds familiar", clicked the thread open, been like "oh I got to post to follow this" and immediately got something more urgent to do.. so NOW I'll do it :D

Loving the progress and can't wait to get playing !

SolarLune
Level 10

Hmm.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2015, 05:27:32 pm »

Mmm, this all looks delicious. Great art and animation!

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2015, 12:18:19 am »

They're even more scary and delicious now!

My feelings exactly!

I never clicked on this thread before because... I don't know why, actually. This looks amazing!

Thanks! Glad you're digging it.

It's now the fifth time I've been like "hmm.. Knuckle Sandwich.. sounds familiar", clicked the thread open, been like "oh I got to post to follow this" and immediately got something more urgent to do.. so NOW I'll do it :D

Loving the progress and can't wait to get playing !

Thankyou! I get the same feeling with lots of cool projects on here.

Mmm, this all looks delicious. Great art and animation!

Thanks! There's lots of updated art that I haven't shown off yet - I can't wait.

I did a really big interview about the game where I explain a heap about the game's story and systems (stuff I haven't 100% gotten into yet). Do take a look: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/25/knuckle-sandwich-may-look-like-earthbound-but-its-much-more-than-that/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:58:26 am by Andrew Brophy » Logged

JctWood
Level 6

programmer/jammer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2015, 12:45:17 am »

"stroy systems are the innovative highlight of knuckle sandwich."

@jctwood  |  programmer/jammer  |  jctwood.uk
Osteel
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2015, 05:02:25 am »

That was awesome. Reading that really sheds some light on what the game is about, thanks for the interview. It kind of reminds me of the Harvest Moon series in which, each day, you have to do your tedious work and you're just itching to finish it so you can go explore the world.

Except, this feels like the world will be much larger and interactive. :D

Rakugaki-Otoko
Level 10

anti-minimalist

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2015, 04:31:30 am »

Every single update and improvement makes me more and more excited for this game!

cynicalsandel
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2015, 10:31:06 am »

Is it just in the gifs, or in the text bubbles when the text goes away, it just changes to a brighter white than the bubble itself?

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: Today at 04:35:13 am »

That was awesome. Reading that really sheds some light on what the game is about, thanks for the interview. It kind of reminds me of the Harvest Moon series in which, each day, you have to do your tedious work and you're just itching to finish it so you can go explore the world.

Except, this feels like the world will be much larger and interactive. :D

That's the aim! I really don't want to spoil things, so I feel this is the best way to describe it.

Every single update and improvement makes me more and more excited for this game!

Weird, I feel the same way!

Is it just in the gifs, or in the text bubbles when the text goes away, it just changes to a brighter white than the bubble itself?

Just the gifs!

Big preview article on the game went up on PC Gamer the other day! Lots of new stuff is mentioned. Check it: http://www.pcgamer.com/knuckle-sandwich-is-like-a-grown-up-earthbound/

neaptide
Level 0

Baby on Board (it me)

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: Today at 11:10:02 am »

yep, this whole game looks amazing. will definitely be following.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic