Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1122304 Posts in 46945 Topics- by 38404 Members - Latest Member: Xul_solar

May 27, 2015, 07:53:20 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsVR Tactics: Sci-fi VR Hacking Tactical RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: VR Tactics: Sci-fi VR Hacking Tactical RPG  (Read 233 times)
DifferentName
Level 0

differentname13
View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:14:52 pm »

VR Tactics (working title), will be a tactical RPG with multiple paths to victory, allowing for aggression, stealth, and guile. You play as a band of hackers in a sci-fi future, where the masses are plugged into virtual reality, and you are capable of manipulating the virtual world around you.

I’ll leave this post light for now so I can update it later when I have more to show off.

DifferentName
Level 0

differentname13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:46:41 pm »

This game is about hacking enemy systems to achieve some goal, like getting top secret information, or bringing down the whole system. Systems have several rooms that you move through, each with their own programs (enemies), and walls or doors blocking your path to restricted areas.

Each room also has resource lines of 5 colors which you move along to collect resources so you can use functions (abilities). So you might want to move along the red line collecting red resources, but does this put you in range of the opponent you want to attack? Collecting resources as you move should make for some interesting decisions as you weigh your location against your ability options. Each resource is represented by a color, and has a theme.

Red is the resource of Ending programs. Whether you’re doing a close attack, ranged attack, or area of effect, if you are trying to do damage to your enemies, you’ll need red to do it. Red isn’t subtle though. While you can use it to destroy an obstacle in your path, you may raise alarms causing the system you’re in to turn against you.  

Cyan is about processing power, organization, and is used to alter resources.  You use it to manipulate resource lines and generate more resources of other colors. Since you get resources by moving, you can also use cyan to move faster, gathering more resources and putting you exactly where you need to be in the battle area.

Yellow is the resource of information. It’s used to scan enemy programs and rooms, locating keys and weak points. It’s also used to see what functions (abilities) enemy programs have. Once you’ve scanned their functions, you may be able to create a copy of that function for yourself, or force the enemy to use that function for you. Which brings us to our next resource.

Green represents Creation, Change, and Control. Green allows you to control enemy programs that you have scanned with yellow, using their abilities as your own. Green is also used to modify programs and to create new ones on the battlefield to fight by your side.

Purple is the resource of Protection, Stealth, and Restriction. You can stop your opponent from damaging you with armor, stop your opponent from seeing you with cloaking abilities, and stop your opponent from moving by creating walls.

You can specialize in one or more resources, focusing on something simple like attacking your enemies, but you can also use all 5 resources for interesting strategic combos. For example, you may scan an enemy program, detecting that it has a cannon. Then withstand a blast from that cannon with purple (or use the purple for stealth so it doesn’t notice you’re there in the first place). Then move several spaces with Cyan to collect red resources. Use green to activate the enemies cannon ability, and the red resources you just picked up to pay for it, forcing the enemy to use it’s cannon on the door, allowing you to get to the next room.

I haven't settled on a visual style yet, but I know I want it to look colorful and glowy. Here's some early concept art.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:29:39 pm by DifferentName » Logged

DifferentName
Level 0

differentname13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:20:31 pm »

I've been working on some basics, getting characters moving through isometric tiles, path finding around walls and over resources. I still haven't settled on an exact art style. Here's a cartoony vector version of the main character.

She's a genetically engineered Empath, so she can alter her own brain waves to match people around her. This ability allows her to quickly learn from others, and take on traits of the other characters on her team. When you choose who to bring on a mission, this also affects the Empath girl's abilities during that mission.

The greatest strength of this empathic ability is that it can be used to mimic a computer system that's being invaded. The rest of the hackers have been losing ground in the virtual world as advanced computers include organic brain matter to detect security threats. Although the Empath girl is not as experienced with hacking as the rest of her team, she can mimic these bits of brain to get access that the other hackers can't.

Here are some small sketches of the team spliced together. Are there any characters you're interested in learning about next? Let me know.

DifferentName
Level 0

differentname13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 05:34:51 pm »

Here's a Warhol inspired image, showing off some different blending effects I'm playing with to add texture and color to vector art. I'm thinking about applying textures and blending effects in game, to give the game a unique look.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:10:58 pm by DifferentName » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic