Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038171 Posts in 41953 Topics- by 33573 Members - Latest Member: kirbasin

September 02, 2014, 01:12:22 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsSuper Rookery
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Rookery  (Read 688 times)
rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »

If you're going to be at PAX Prime this weekend, be sure to stop by the Rocket 5 Studios booth to play Super Rookery (or is it Crow Riders???) and The Phantom PI Mission Apparition! We're in Expo Hall, Level 6 Booth #6903 (across from the OUYA booth).

Here's how the game looks so far, but I should be able to spiff it up a bit before the show doors open on Friday.

Here's the original post:
We have a booth at PAX Prime next week where we're going to be demoing our latest game release The Phantom PI Mission Apparition. I thought it would be fun to also have a small 2-player game featuring characters from the Phantom PI to help drive booth traffic and to show people a bit more of what Rocket 5 can do.

Art:
We have lots of assets we can use from The Phantom PI like the main characters Cecil and Famke and we also have a Crow character that actually didn't make it in to the final game. Plus a bunch of background art.

Design:
In the sprit of keeping things simple, the idea is make a competitive game where 2 players are fighting over an object. The player who holds the object the longest wins. You can take the object from the other player by bumping into them. The current plan for the basic layout of the levels and gameplay rules will be similar to the arcade game Joust which is one of my all time favorites from back in the day.

The rest of the design will emerge as I build the game. As I type this, I have the characters imported into Unity and that's about it. I'll be posting the progress as I go over the next couple of days. We fly out to Seattle on Wednesday morning and I still have a bunch of other prep to do before we leave so with a bit of luck it'll be ready to fly (quite literally) by end of day tomorrow (Monday).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:16:46 PM by rocket5tim » Logged

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »

Here's Cecil on the crow to give you an idea of where this is heading.

Also we're not sure about the name. We're currently torn between: Crow Riders or Super Rookery

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »

First pass flight controls are in. The wings flap once every time you press the up button and plays a 1 frame glide animation when falling. I had to speed up the wing flap animation 4x and it's only playing about 1/2 of the animation (just the down stroke) so that it still looks ok when you're mashing on the button.

Next step will be the walk/hop and idle animations when the crow is on the ground.

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »

Didn't take as long as I thought to get the walking (hop hop!) and idle stand animations working.

Next step will be to get player 2 flying around in there too and then it'll be on to figuring out the actual gameplay.

Russ
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »

This looks pretty cool. Although I feel if the player can go through one edge of the screen to get to the other it might make it really easy to just stay away from the other player while you have the object. Will there be pickups or anything like that?
rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »

This looks pretty cool. Although I feel if the player can go through one edge of the screen to get to the other it might make it really easy to just stay away from the other player while you have the object. Will there be pickups or anything like that?

That's a really good point. Currently I'm thinking about setting up the levels like TowerFall so there will be more obstructions in the midground and limited screenwrap paths on the sides and top/bottom.

There probably won't be any pickups/powerups in this initial version of the game, but if the reception is good at PAX then it's possible that we'll turn it into a bigger game.

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »

Last post before bed....

I totally rewrote the controls and collision system - I was using Unity's Rigidbody physics system which wasn't giving me the tight collision detection that I was looking for. I rolled my own collision detection using raycasts - you can see the debug rays when the characters get near walls and floors. Notice that the characters also ease in and out of movement when changing direction and they continue to drift in the current direction if you stop flapping.

Oh and obviously the 2nd player is in there as well. I tried to control both of them (one with each hand) as well as I could for the recording.

Next step will be to add some sort of combat mechanic(s). I have a few ideas, what's your favorite?

1. Keepaway: There's a ball/egg in the level. When you touch the ball, you pick it up. If the other player bumps you, they'll steal it. The player who holds the ball the longest wins the round.

2. Deathmatch: Each player has a gun, shoot the other guy till he's dead. Similar rules as TowerFall.

3. Bombs away: You can poop bombs out of your bird. Hit the other guy with a bomb to win. Trouble is that requires you to be higher than the other guy. So maybe you can only carry 2-3 bombs at a time. Bomb packs spawn in the level forcing you into compromised positions to collect them.

4. Other ideas?

Savick
Level 3

Don't settle for a million good ideas!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:55:07 PM »

Reminds me of Joust. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joust_(video_game)
Maybe look at that for some inspiration?

Looks cool so far and good luck with it.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:35:37 AM »

I like the perspective on the 3rd post. This is a nice project, and Joust is quite possibly a good source of inspiration, but I'd also add Baloon Fight.

I like very much of the standing animation. The crow really seems more alive, and not just part of the scenery.

Yeah.
rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 10:18:58 AM »

I didn't get much done on the game yesterday because I was wrapping up some business, but today I'm back on the game (until it's time to pack for PAX).

Here's the latest with a 1st pass art test (no lighting yet, sorry it's so dark) and 1st pass shooting (egg pooping!). This first test level is just borrowing a design from TowerFall, but I'll be creating more original levels later. The gameplay is pretty similar to TowerFall (except for the BIRDS!) so it works well for now.

The pooping of eggs happened by accident (heh). I was working on a more traditional shooting code, but got my vectors reversed so the eggs were coming out the back. Which turns out looks hilarious and actually makes for a unique shooting mechanic. You can increase the force of the shot by holding down the fire button - so if you just tap fire the egg will drop like a bomb, if you hold it longer it'll shoot out in an arch.

Next steps:
* Eggs should kill players and should explode when they time out (like a grenade)
* We're hoping to add 2 more characters for 2-4 player gaming goodness.
* Add a scoring ui and win conditions
* Add some props to the level and light it.
* Players should only be able to hold 3 eggs at a time, add egg pickups so you can get more

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »

Made a lot of progress today but now I really need to pack for our trip.

Eggs now kill other players (but I'm not tracking score yet). Players respawn out of the cauldrons with a little "hop out" animation. The number of eggs you're currently carrying is displayed over each character's head and I colored the eggs so that it's easier to tell whose egg killed you since you can also kill yourself with your own egg (they're basically grenades). When you have fewer than 3 eggs in your inventory, you can go to one of the chests to refill. The chests are disabled for 5 seconds after a refill (indicated by the open lid). There are also some first pass effects and a bit more work on the level art tho I haven't had time to decorate and light the level yet.

I'm hoping to work on the game more while we're traveling tomorrow and then it should be ready to play at our booth on Friday.

Next steps:
- add HUD to show how many kills each player has
- add a basic front end to start/reset the game
- add 2 other characters (1 of my USB NES controllers died, hopefully I can buy one from Think Geek at PAX).
- add a "win" screen to show who won (assuming I do some kind "best out of 5" round end)
- add some props and lighting to the level
- build another level or two (stretch goal)

Kyuugatsu
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »

Damn man, I can't tell you how many hours I've spent playing Joust at college (we had an arcade cabinet on our floor!). I live in Seattle, can't wait to check this game out!

(And we play Towerfall at the office. We have a ladder.)

I see an extreme high ground advantage in your game, how do you defeat a player who flies to the top of the top right quarter, for example?

Let me know if you need to know anything about Seattle.
rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 09:11:28 PM »

Damn man, I can't tell you how many hours I've spent playing Joust at college (we had an arcade cabinet on our floor!). I live in Seattle, can't wait to check this game out!

(And we play Towerfall at the office. We have a ladder.)

I see an extreme high ground advantage in your game, how do you defeat a player who flies to the top of the top right quarter, for example?

Let me know if you need to know anything about Seattle.

Yeah Joust was a big influence on me too - I'm happy to say that feel of the birds in flight in this game are pretty close to the original. But you'll have to tell me what you think.

Looking forward to seeing you at PAX!

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 10:15:36 PM »

Super Rookery at PAX Prime!

Kyuugatsu
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 09:28:41 AM »

I'll drop by shortly. Need to get my Starbucks fix first. >_<