Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1135569 Posts in 47688 Topics- by 39046 Members - Latest Member: westenra

July 06, 2015, 09:50:02 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsRetool - a game about hacking computers to alter electonical outputs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Retool - a game about hacking computers to alter electonical outputs  (Read 5092 times)
RenegadeNinjaNL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:32:54 am »

Retool is a game about hacking into computers to alter electronic item's output. This is done by rewiring them to other electronic items. Change the outputs of the electronic items to your likings to steal all the diamonds on the levels without anybody knowing, or go for the action route and eliminate all guards using hammers and pistols.[/center]

Gameplay
  • The game is a puzzle game where players can use stealth or action
  • It is one-hit kills - for the player and guards

The video below shows the core gameplay loop (skip to 40 seconds if you don't want to hear me speak):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRBX6Qi5cvU

Background
I have been practicing making small (crappy) games for the past few years. It was more for practice than to show anything off. I am now at a stage where I think I can make something half-decent so I started to work on Retool in December 2014. I so far have the core gameplay loop how I wanted, which I using computers to hack into electronics to change their outputs. So now, I am trying to make it better looking and add new features incrementally.

I will try to update this frequently for all the people that might be interested in this.

« Last Edit: Today at 08:27:12 am by RenegadeNinjaNL » Logged
RenegadeNinjaNL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 05:47:30 am »

So this week I worked on updated the GUI and lighting. The GUI and lighting that I was using was mainly for test purposes. The new GUI and lighting makes the game easier to understand and much better to look at.

The GUI now gives the player cues when they can press a button to do an action, such as pick up item or interact with an electronic item. The GUI has also been updated when hacking. It gives the player more information, such as currently highlighted device what the output is, and what the new output can be. Below is a screenshot comparison between the old GUI and the new GUI.

I have updated the lighting by decreasing its intensity. I have also added new shaders to the player model and started using some post-processing effects on the camera. I am still not satisfied with how it looks, but it is much better than before. Below is a screenshot comparison between the old lighting and the new lighting.

« Last Edit: Today at 08:28:25 am by RenegadeNinjaNL » Logged
RenegadeNinjaNL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 02:22:57 am »

Implementing some of the animation

« Last Edit: Today at 08:28:34 am by RenegadeNinjaNL » Logged
RenegadeNinjaNL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:26:37 am »

You can now download and play the first playable build of Retool. It will help you understand the game 43% more than just reading the text.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic