Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:43:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 177525 times)
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2012, 03:23:39 AM »

Thank you! That means a lot Smiley

Re: the idea, it's a very interesting one. The game is indeed rendered as coloured text, which is made each time something needs drawing. The fonts I largely made myself (they contain some custom parts, though some parts are based on general free tilesets) and, whilst I might one day add a 14x14 or something for people with monitors that can fit it on, I fear the suggestion isn't workable - they are distinct letter characters, not "images" in their own right (as you suggested) and the system (and Python library) I use wouldn't be able to anti-alias them or shrink down a larger version. I can understand what you mean about how it could look, but I think it would remove a bit of the ANSI aesthetic Wink

antoniodamala
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2012, 03:42:00 AM »

The coolest ansi & ascii art i've seen to this date. Just plain gorgeous. Sadly i'm not much into simulation, but good luck all the way. Smiley
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2012, 03:15:35 AM »

The coolest ansi & ascii art i've seen to this date. Just plain gorgeous. Sadly i'm not much into simulation, but good luck all the way. Smiley

Thank you very much for both Smiley - I can't wait to get started on the next version, but the day job calls...

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »

Flag generation about 75% done. Some of the nicest ones generated so far:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »

Did they have "meaning", flag have meaning, if for example you derive them from the parameter of the object you derive them from

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2012, 01:54:59 AM »

Did they have "meaning", flag have meaning, if for example you derive them from the parameter of the object you derive them from

oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man please?

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2012, 05:33:35 AM »

oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man please?

I debated this. Coats of arms, for instance, will be *very* closely tied to the family that generates them. What they are known for, where they live, what empire they are in, how large they are, and a number of other factors will tie into the iconography of the coats.

However, the meaning of flags is a) so often hidden even to those who know about the country (what does 'red' represent for this country?) and b) differs according to country. I didn't think it realistic that all nations would have the same rationale for what-colour-means-what, and if they all had different logics, then that would be indistinguishable from entirely random colours! Thus, the colours are random. But coats of arms will be very un-random, as it were.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2012, 07:28:53 AM »

Today's blog entry, with a detailed plan for 0.3.x:

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/12/10/onwards-to-0-3-x/

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »

Things are still ticking over; now working on history generation. Here's an example of "year 0" territories:

Full size at http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/files/2012/12/Valid3.png

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2012, 07:52:15 AM »

And here's an example of a completed territorial world:

Full size: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/files/2012/12/Valid1695.png

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2012, 10:19:49 AM »

The final development blog entry of 2012: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/12/24/holiday-musings-and-1700-years-of-history/

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »

Will there be any options for the territory generator to allow for unclaimed wilderness or no-man's-lands?  I suppose the modelling of territory snatch-up could be halted at some point to allow for those unclaimed interstitial regions.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2012, 04:42:47 AM »

Will there be any options for the territory generator to allow for unclaimed wilderness or no-man's-lands?  I suppose the modelling of territory snatch-up could be halted at some point to allow for those unclaimed interstitial regions.

It currently has that option, actually; only nomadic civs are particularly interested in desert/tundra regions, whilst agricultural civs are unlikely to expand outside agricultural locations (these changes have been made since I first posted that image). Also, nobody goes into the extreme polar regions, though that's not to say they are *entirely* empty...

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »

Another devblog entry, at last, with religious icons, policies, history, territory, and lots more goodness:

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2013/01/07/history-generation-i/

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »

The cult of the Tie Fighter at coord (2,3). Wink

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2013, 06:10:27 AM »

The cult of the Tie Fighter at coord (2,3). Wink

Ha, yes! Hadn't spotted that. Hmm... I'll leave it in. It's a rare enough possibility, especially after I finish religious icons (there's still a good 50% I want to add in).

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2013, 07:19:11 AM »

Holy crap, this looks epic!

But why can't anyone who creates these huge games also create a user interface that doesn't come from 1980? Sad

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »

But why can't anyone who creates these huge games also create a user interface that doesn't come from 1980? Sad

You're the only person who hasn't praised the URR UI as being a breath of fresh-air compared to Dwarf Fortress etc Smiley. Is the lack of mouse support the issue? I've actually been trying very, very hard to make it as clear, pristine, and explanatory as possible.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2013, 06:18:37 AM »

You're the only person who hasn't praised the URR UI as being a breath of fresh-air compared to Dwarf Fortress etc Smiley. Is the lack of mouse support the issue? I've actually been trying very, very hard to make it as clear, pristine, and explanatory as possible.

If your target audience is rogue fans only, then sure it may be a breath of fresh air (but then again... Stone Soup?). However, if your target audience is everyone else, then sorry, but lack of mouse support is just one of the multitude of issues. Smiley

But since it seems that your target audience are Dwarf Fortress players, just ignore me (since I'm clearly not someone who is supposed to play this). I'll just look at screenshots and enjoy player stories without actually ever playing it, just as I do with Dwarf Fortress. Smiley

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2013, 01:57:37 PM »

If your target audience is rogue fans only, then sure it may be a breath of fresh air (but then again... Stone Soup?). However, if your target audience is everyone else, then sorry, but lack of mouse support is just one of the multitude of issues. Smiley

But since it seems that your target audience are Dwarf Fortress players, just ignore me (since I'm clearly not someone who is supposed to play this). I'll just look at screenshots and enjoy player stories without actually ever playing it, just as I do with Dwarf Fortress. Smiley

No, no, I want to know! I'm not being funny, I'm genuinely interested. I don't intend to add mouse support just yet (though I haven't ruled it out), but for a keyboard-only game, I consider the UI one of its strong points. I don't really consider a lack of mouse support a problem anyway, given the billions of console games that do fine without it, but I'd really like to know what you think the other problems are, if you'd be willing to write them down. Is one of them the huge number of keys required?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic