Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:31:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 53
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 177466 times)
nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: April 07, 2014, 04:08:46 AM »

Long time lurker and admirer of this thread. I love your visuals so much!

Well, thank you kindly Smiley. Congrats on finishing Ferdy, btw!

Thanks mate! You keep it up. Eventually you will get there some day Wink

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2014, 01:44:44 AM »

Thanks mate! You keep it up. Eventually you will get there some day Wink

I estimate a decade until completion Smiley. Give or take. Well... probably a bit less. But around a decade. The rest is surprisingly well planned out, actually...

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2014, 06:44:07 AM »

Started a little bit of early work on roads and architectural styles today - might even get roads generating on the human scale (as in, not on the world map) before this release is out! Was expecting to leave this until 0.6, but it's going pretty quickly thus far.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »

That little island city looks great, I want to visit it. Smiley

mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »

This looks awesome, and I think the combination of Borges and infinite procedural generation is incredibly apt, very happy to see someone mining this vein conceptually.  Coffee

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: April 10, 2014, 06:47:09 AM »

That little island city looks great, I want to visit it. Smiley

Soon! SOOOON!

This looks awesome, and I think the combination of Borges and infinite procedural generation is incredibly apt, very happy to see someone mining this vein conceptually.  Coffee

Thanks! I couldn't agree more about Borges & procedural generation  Coffee

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: April 10, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »

A zoomed-out image of road generation across three map grids! Once city walls exist, they'd be at the top of the middle and right-most image.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: April 11, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »

A few potentially problematic bugs arose, were squashed, and now 0.5 stands ready for release tomorrow afternoon! The key you want to remember is 'E', for that brings up the encyclopedia, and with it, the world...

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: April 12, 2014, 05:07:54 AM »

With 3.5 months of development behind it (my fastest release to date), I present Ultima Ratio Regum v0.5! You can download it @ http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/. Here's a summary of the major additions:

- History generation! The world now contains over a thousand years of history of conflicts, religions, settlements, colonies and more. Some categories such as discoveries and cults will be added to more in later versions. Although they are currently all shown at the start of the game, exploring and discovering these histories (and the gameplay/world information they provide) will later emerge into a central game mechanic.

- Enlarged world map! The world map is now 250x250 rather than 150x150, but due to various optimizations takes up less memory than the older version. This allows for far more room for everything the game needs, and with a larger world map I can start to think about various mechanics for exploring the world without it all opening up too quickly.

- Religion generation! The world is now populated by religions - monotheistic, polytheistic and spiritual/animist/shamanistic - some of which may spread between multiple civilizations. The game describes their entire pantheons in addition to (for feudal religions) what agendas they might wish their followers to pursue.

- Cities, towns, fortresses and settlements! The world map is now populated by the capital cities and smaller towns of feudal civilizations, the desert fortresses of nomads (between which their caravans will later roam) and the settlements of hunter-gatherer civilizations. These different types of civilization also have different types of flag and symbols associated with them. In the next version, 0.6, these population centers will be fully explorable.

- Coats of arms and families! Feudal civilizations now contain a number of noble houses, each of which has a procedurally generated coat of arms to go with it. The player is assigned to a non-ruling house in their civilization of choice, and house allegiance will be one of several "faction" alignments that offer both benefits and risks as the game progresses.

- Updated start/load screen! The start/load a game screen now displays a wealth of information about each save to allow you to easily browse the saves you may have, and also loads in a fraction of the time that was required in the past. You are also now given a choice of what civilization to follow, and whether to follow the lead religion in that civilization (if any).

- Policies! There are now a large number of "policies" that each civilization possesses, spread across eight different categories. These will act as passive boosts to the player's abilities, skills and stats in various areas.

- Road generation! A network of roads now criss-crosses the parts of the world controlled by feudal civilizations, and also generate on the human-scale map (not just the world map).

Hope you all like it. Let me know any feedback you have, any bugs you might find (I think the release is bug-free, but there is only so much playtesting two people can do) and any other suggestions or feedback. In the next few weeks I'll be talking quite a bit about the plans for URR this coming year which I'm rather excited about, so I invite you all to join me for that discussion in the near future. Hope you enjoy the release!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: April 12, 2014, 05:42:09 AM »

Uploaded another 0.5 version with a couple of minor bug-fixes!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

Have been alerted to a pair of very rare crash bugs, and a couple of very minor non-crash bugs; will be releasing 0.5.1 probably tomorrow!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: April 14, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »

Or... today! New bugs arose and I found myself working on 0.6. Either way, 0.5.1 will be up some time this afternoon/evening.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: April 15, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »

Uploaded URR 0.5.1 with a few bug-fixes, now onto 0.6 (first 0.6 look later this week)! http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 15, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »

You need to update the title to attract the lurkers. Also, I'm finally gonna take the plunge and dive in to this...
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:24 AM »

You need to update the title to attract the lurkers. Also, I'm finally gonna take the plunge and dive in to this...

Ah, yes, I really need to get on that. Let me know what you think Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: April 15, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »

Hey I downloaded the game and had a bit of a play. I don't have much time to explore in detail but maybe you could include a little summary in the game of what you can actually do in these early versions. I was wandering around for ten minutes or so .. great little landscapes and forests, but it feels empty and I couldn't find any npcs or animals or things, I suppose they aren't implemented yet?

Good luck with the next version!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: April 15, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »

Hey I downloaded the game and had a bit of a play. I don't have much time to explore in detail but maybe you could include a little summary in the game of what you can actually do in these early versions. I was wandering around for ten minutes or so .. great little landscapes and forests, but it feels empty and I couldn't find any npcs or animals or things, I suppose they aren't implemented yet?

Good luck with the next version!

There is one! A message should have come up at the start of the game telling you what's implemented, how to access options/keys, etc?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: April 15, 2014, 06:25:59 PM »

Yeh, I got the start message saying you can use items with 'u', walk with numpad keys, that you can't visit towns, etc. Oh I see in the readme.txt you explain what the build is about, maybe it was in the start up message but I must've missed it.

Q: What is there to do in this version?
A: This version serves to show the depth and detail of the world generation, and the relationship between this and the future gameplay. Press 'E' once in game to view the in-game encyclopedia.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: April 16, 2014, 11:09:11 AM »

Yeh, I got the start message saying you can use items with 'u', walk with numpad keys, that you can't visit towns, etc. Oh I see in the readme.txt you explain what the build is about, maybe it was in the start up message but I must've missed it.

Ah - do I detect you have not tried pressing 'E' once in-game? If so, you have missed the main aspects of the latest release! Smiley

fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 17, 2014, 04:48:15 AM »

Is the character currently assigned a family in this build? If so it would be cool to have a way to view your own family/city/religion (unless there is one and I missed it)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 53
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic