Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:37:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 177701 times)
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: March 01, 2015, 03:29:52 AM »

No URRpdate this week, but I did upload a video (and detailed) analysis of my first danmaku world record as this week's blog post instead. Since it's not URR-focused, I won't cross-post it here, but check out http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2015/03/01/score-rush-world-record/ if you're interested.

In URR, meanwhile, I haven't had much time to work on it this week, being out the house for three days and having a bunch of academic job applications to send off; nevertheless, I'm currently pushing ahead with generating building interiors for hunter-gatherer and nomadic civilizations, and I'm hoping to have the latter finished by the end of tonight!

Gavriel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 02, 2015, 05:04:19 PM »

Sensational work. Keep it up.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 03, 2015, 07:37:54 AM »

Wow! A world record. Are you going to be in the Guinness book of world records for games?

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: March 04, 2015, 05:16:31 AM »

Sensational work. Keep it up.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thank you!

Wow! A world record. Are you going to be in the Guinness book of world records for games?

Ha, no, sadly not -they wouldn't have room for every game record! Besides, their game records are more like "Most Pokemon games owned", and the like, but thanks for the wow Smiley.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: March 07, 2015, 06:11:15 AM »

The IRDC Europe venue is set! It's unusual, and exciting, and a bit of a change from previous years. Information coming tomorrow, and I invite everyone along!

failrate
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: March 07, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »

I worked on a game (PlanetSide 2) that won the Guinness World Record for most people fighting in a single battle.  The important consideration is that an observer needs to be there to witness it taking place.
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: March 07, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »

I worked on a game (PlanetSide 2) that won the Guinness World Record for most people fighting in a single battle.  The important consideration is that an observer needs to be there to witness it taking place.

Ah, interesting: though again, I think that's a different "kind" of record, not a high-score/speedun record! That's pretty damned awesome though. I understand the observer thing for that kind of record, though for general high-score records, all that's needed generally is the video, by my understanding (that was certainly enough to make mine "official")

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: March 08, 2015, 03:50:48 AM »

International Roguelike Development Conference (Europe)

I’ve set up the venue, the time, the dates, and the format, of this year’s IRDC! I’m trying something a little different this year and I invite everyone to come along. You can read about it here on my website (http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/irdc-2015/), on Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/2ybus8/european_irdc_at_the_uk_national_videogame_arcade/), or on Roguetemple (http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=4467.0), and please get in touch if you’re planning on coming along! The more the merrier, and this year’s will be something really different and, hopefully, something really awesome.

URR Development

The past two weeks I haven’t been able to get as much coding done as anticipated  – partly from spending a lot of time travelling, partly from some truly baffling real-life events, and partly from other commitments – but I’ve been turning my attention to the other civilizations in the world of URR (primarily the nomads, but I’ve also put together some early work on hunter-gatherer building interiors) and also the generation for some of the other buildings in cities, like mansions and jails. So, here we go:

Mansions

Manors come in four sizes – small, medium, large, and “massive” (one of which the player will begin in, as a lesser noble). The images below show one medium and three large (the massive are not yet finished). The smallest manors can be found in upper class districts, potentially sometimes in middle-class districts once I rewrite middle-class district generation (but there would only be one in the district), and in the future will also be found in towns if the civilization has the Vassalage policy (I’m continuing to work on making the variation from policy choices more and more explicit). The medium size, then, can only be found around the edges in upper-class districts, where the “second tier” of families live (I might call these “lesser houses”?); the next size up can be found in upper-class districts only, where they are also for lesser houses, but those with real aspirations to becoming a major family in that nation; and the largest can only be found in upper-class districts; each district contains three, which house the most important families in that nation, one of which will be the ruling family. Manors contain living and dining rooms, at least one “special” thing – which might be a portrait, an ancient book, a valuable piece of armour, and the like, and which will likely be mentioned in books and other NPCs as a valuable family heirloom – and also store rooms, and quarters for servants (or, if the nation is a slaving nation, that room will be less pleasant and for slaves). The storage room is the only current “empty” room on the  pictures below, simply because I haven’t yet implemented the various item types that will soon spawn there.

You’ll also notice a little visual difference in the floor – since all of these buildings have the “ornate flooring” terrain type as their default, I decided I wanted this to be very visually clear and explicit, and I really like how this looks. Cathedrals also had the same floor type, but I found they would be slightly too visually busy if they were displayed in the same way since cathedrals generally have more stuff, so I decided to only make this change here. Personally, I think they look bloody gorgeous. Be sure to click on them to really appreciate the colouring used in these! In the first picture, the floors are the upper floor, the ground floor, and the cellar, in that order from left -> right.

Citadels

In the centre of every nomadic fortress is a “citadel”, a last retreat for that nomadic people in case of disaster, war, and so forth (within which the nomadic rulers will dwell, along with various other unusual and rare rooms). I wanted to model these on a lot of palaces from northern Africa and southern Spain, so they have a certain “oasis” feel to them as well as being places of fortification; one will often find extensive gardens within the walls of the fortress, and within these gardens you’ll find things which spawn nowhere else on the map – intriguing stone stele, nomadic graveyards (a rare thing indeed), and if in the “capital” fortress of the nomadic nation, you’ll find some other intriguing stuff on the upper floor, according to the policies the “government” of that particular nomadic people pursue. I tried to make these citadels quite “oasis-like” – they have open areas, trees, and fountains and water, and with some interior/exterior areas, and with appropriate areas that the game can use to place slaves, servants, weapons, guards, etc, in future releases. There are two different floor types here – both are “ornate” floors, but they are displayed differently; which do people prefer for citadels? I’m definitely going to keep the “minimalist” ornate flooring for cathedrals, though.

I’ve also put in the code for the game to create gates inside the fortress, which will then form balconies you can walk over on the higher floors, although I haven’t yet got around to generating the upper floors:

Jails

The first picture is from one jail “shape” showing how the stairs link, and then the other two show the player actually wandering around two variations of the “sideways pyramid” jail archetype, and in the latter case, I didn’t explore many of the cells (which, after this release, will of course be locked and require the jailer’s key) but just opened up a couple. As you can see, each floor is always similar, but with a slightly different layout of pillars, corridors, etc, and the empty room on the ground floor will be the jailer’s office:

Barrels, Candles, Miscellany

Also just threw together some of the new lookup graphics required for this release. Have a procedurally-generated ale barrel, and candle stands:

What’s Next?

Well, next week we’ll probably have a very in-depth and detailed entry about altar generation, the one I mentioned a little while ago. As for this release, I’ve definitely crossed the 50% point in these past two fortnights. By the update in a fortnight’s time, I’ll also have the massive mansions done, and most of the remainder of this release (I hope). I’m still aiming to release 0.7 in March. It’s… a stretch, as I have two academic papers I need to finish and submit this month, as well as beginning the preparation for my thesis defense, but it’s the target. Meanwhile, go and sign up to this year’s European IRDC and help us bring roguelikes to a wider audience than ever before!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: March 14, 2015, 04:31:01 AM »

In keeping with my mission to push procedural generation away from the “classics” – monsters, dungeons, levels – and towards more “qualitative” concepts that have never been generated before in games (nations, cultures, societies…), URR (as regular readers know) contains a range of procedurally generated religions. These are not just a name and a belief, but are designed to be complex, interwoven and often competing systems that procedurally generate a deity or pantheon of deities; their beliefs and forms of worship; what, if anything, is banned in their religion; what festivals (if any) they perform; what agendas the clergy of this religion have; what other religions they might consider to be infidels; where in the world the religion is found; the religious symbol; their cosmogenic and eschatological beliefs; what heretical sects within that religion exist; and – the focus of this blog entry – their altars.

This blog entry is a detailed post about generating the ANSI (ish) graphics for the altars (or “shrines” in some cases) for all religions.

There are three “classes” of religion – monotheistic, polytheistic, and what I’ve termed in the game’s code as “spirits”. Feudal civilizations can have either monotheistic or polytheistic religions (but are slightly statistically biased towards monotheistic, because there is more procedural variation within that type) whilst “spirits” religions are used for hunter-gatherer civilizations, who have a range of animistic of shamanistic beliefs, totemism, ancestor worship, etc. Nomadic civilizations, reflecting their role as melting pots of varied cultures and beliefs from across the globe, never have an official state religion (inasmuch as there is even a clear concept of “the state” in these civilizations). Each of these three kinds of religion has a wide set of different possible altars or shrines, based upon a significant number of archetypes which each contain within them a massive amount of variation.

Monotheistic

Within monotheistic religions there are four possible archetypes for deities – to use the terms used in-game (though these are not seen by the player), religions can be “demonic”, “eldritch”, “egyptian”, or “general”. Each of these has its own algorithm for generating and selecting the depiction of the altars at which their devotees worship.

The first of these we’ll look at are what I’ve been calling the “egyptian” god type. These are gods that adhere to names of the sort “The ____-headed God” or “The ____-headed Deity”, and so forth. The heads of these deities, so to speak, are generated according to the climate within which that religion was first found. A religion founded in a cold, polar region might have a “bear-headed” god or a “wolf-headed” deity, whereas in the desert regions you may find those worshiping their “scorpion-headed” or “scarab-headed” equivalents. The altars, in turn, are generated with a central image, a colour, a selection of candles, and an altar shape. Here are two examples: on the left is the rather more ‘abstract’ symbol for a deer-headed god (with a particular randomly-chosen shape and colour), and on the right we have an altar for its bear-headed cousin. There’s over thirty different animals, a wide range of colours and shapes for the altars, and therefore a massive potential variation in the altars of the animal-headed gods.

The second are the “eldritch” gods. These are loosely based on Lovecraftian ideas, but also upon some of the more unusual gods in real-world pantheons (though generally ones no longer actively worshipped, or at least not by large numbers) which are not just “a person” of some description, and either have an unusual depiction, or are entirely animalistic. For instance, Chinnamasta is a Hindu goddess who holds her own severed head in her hands; the Rainbow Serpent in aboriginal myth (though these gods in URR are somewhat less benevolent); Lei Gong in Chinese myth; the Gnostic god Abraxas, and a few inspirations from voodoo, central American myth (primarily Aztec), and some of the truly bizarre demons from christian demonology (especially ones like Buer). This gives rise to gods like Uur Quog, the White Wolf of the Pit and Guardian of the Gate; or Fallin’thopar, the Transient Vulture of the Mountains and Taker of Souls. Those who like their Lovecraft can clearly see the procedural naming convention here, even if the descriptions and depictions of these deities draw from elsewhere as well. Their altars have a wide range of designs, “inscriptions”/patterns upon the altars, colours, bases, and patterns upon the basic, again yielding several thousand possibilities, of which two examples can be seen here:

The third are the “demonic” gods. These altars are the least procedurally-generated of the bunch, though still exhibit some variation in colour, and association with different forms of “demonic” gods. These are not gods which are worshipped secretly, or underground – these are clear, visible religions just like all the others in the game, but these deities are just not the most pleasant of sorts. In part my inspiration here was from the classic understanding one has of the “Old Testament” christian god – all fury, hatred, vengeance, wrath. I wanted to introduce some gods which were perhaps worshiped out of fear rather than out of the love and gentleness generally associated with the judeo-christian god in the present day, but at the same time deities who might have beliefs associated with them that state that although these deities are brutal and bloody, they are perhaps fair, or just, or expect a lot from their worshipers, or might give their worshipers great power in return for their loyalty:

The last class of monotheistic god is the “general” god, though that hides the significant level of variation within those gods, and their altars. In this case an altar for these other gods – such as the Cold King of the Moon, or the Lord of the Tall Grasses – consists of two components. The bottom half is a block of stone, wood or other material, over which is draped a cloth (all procedurally generated) which bears the symbol of that religion and some other general decorative patterns down the side. On top of that is placed one of roughly forty different items, ranging from candelabra to bowls, statues to bones, and plants to statues of various animals. Here are some examples of this last type, which generally makes up around 60-70% of monotheistic religions in a game world, whilst the rest are of the above “rarer” types.

Polytheistic

Polytheistic religions also use three different altar archetypes, which are selected at random for each polytheistic religion. Around 80% of the time they will use the “general” altars described and shown above – a block of stone or carved wood, with a banner, and with a symbol either appropriate to some aspect of the deities or chosen at random from a much larger set of “general” religious symbols – but the other half of the time they will use altars that fall into another category. These are for gods of a pantheon centred around ‘elemental’ concepts or other groups like metals or stones (such as the Deities of the Five-Fold Firmament, or the Divines of the Six Elements). All those names are, of course, also procedurally generated from large and varied libraries of names/words. We’ve seen the “general” altars, so let’s look at these elemental ones.

I’m academically quite interested in alchemy, pre-modern interpretations of “elements”, and the interactions between the two, and this archetype draws on alchemical concepts and also a few of my own which are related, but not quite drawn directly from real-world history. There are several different “sets” of “elements” that might be chosen for a religion of this sort – they might be the traditional fire/water/earth/air/etc, or slightly more unusual. In the picture below, these are for two different elemental pantheons. The altar on the right has been generated for a pantheon of five gods, in this case gods of the sun, the moon, the earth, comets, and stars; the right pantheon has seven gods, in this case gods of gold, silver, bronze, platinum, tin, copper, and iron. As above, these are rare “religion types” and will not crop up often, in keeping with good procedural generation where all possibilities are not equally weighted. As with all the other altars here, there will be clues towards these altars scattered around the world, and the nature of the altars will be referenced in a thousand different places and integrated into the world’s cultural fabric.

Gameplay

As with everything in the game, these are designed to be integrated into the clues and hints the player pick sup. Perhaps the player will be suggested that a priest who worships at the altar of the three candles is harbouring a secret, and only one altar has three candles at the top? Similarly, if you come across an unknown altar, the experienced player should be able to make a reasonable guess about what kind of deity it “belongs” to, and if they have uncovered a range of deities that are worshiped but haven’t encountered their altars, they should be able to piece together this kind of information. Equally, as with all the other graphics in the game, these graphics are designed not just to aid in the kind of discovery/exploration/information gameplay that really interests me, but also just to aid in constructing a densely detailed procedurally-generated world. Several people have said they think URR stands already as the most detailed proc-gen world ever crafted; although I appreciate the appreciation (as it were), I think that’s a little premature, but the details in the interior of buildings (such as altars) this release (March, hopefully) should certainly move URR much closer to meriting such praise.

In Conclusion

What I’ve shown here is only the slightest fraction of the religious altars that might be generated in a single game world of Ultima Ratio Regum. The majority are the “standard” archetype, which gives far more impact to the discovery of one of the more unusual ones. The five different altar types all draw on very different traditions, either aesthetically, thematically or both, and offer similarity within an archetype whilst still remaining highly distinct, and having enough noteworthy features to allow their descriptions or nature to be disseminated by information throughout the game world. Lastly, if you liked this entry, please share it on your social media outlet of choice! To conclude, here’s an in-game screenshot of the player exploring a (procedurally generated) church, and finding the altar, and giving it a look (this being one of the ones shown in the examples above, in this case for a demonic deity called the King of the Spire):

And, a Reminder:

International Roguelike Development Conference (Europe)

I’m hosting this year’s IRDC! I’m trying something a little different this year and I invite everyone to come along. You can read about it here (http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/irdc-2015/), and please get in touch if you’re planning on coming along! The more the merrier, and this year’s will be something really different and, hopefully, something really awesome.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 14, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »

will the game be free, is the source "open" after release?

TinyAngryCrab
Level 0

o

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 14, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »

I can confirm the maker of this game is very handsome.
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: March 15, 2015, 02:23:48 AM »

will the game be free, is the source "open" after release?

Game is/has been/always will be 100% free, but it is closed source and will always remain so, I'm afraid.

I can confirm the maker of this game is very handsome.

It's true!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: March 16, 2015, 05:30:56 AM »

Come along to this year's Norwich Gaming Festival to hear my next public talk, "The Procedural Generation of Aesthetics and Culture"!

http://norwichgamingfestival.com/talks-events/

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 16, 2015, 05:42:31 AM »

Out of curiosity: what's the motivation for keeping it closed source?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:17 AM »

to prevent humanity to reach the creative singularity obviously, imagine whole world you could live in and leave reality outside? the holodeck's black hole event horizon will happen and we will all disappear in pocket of dream once the VR module is done, humanity will be doom and will disappear once the robot we created to protect us, while lost in the personal holodeck where we don't reproduce anymore, will kill the last luddite.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: March 16, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »

Out of curiosity: what's the motivation for keeping it closed source?

Succinctly: partly because I don't want to give all the game's secrets away, and partly because I don't want to make the game changeable/moddable, because anything which should be in the game, I will put in! (And, by extension, if I don't put something in the game: it shouldn't be there). It's mostly #1, but #2 matters too. Oh, yeah, and #3: it would take SO much effort now to rework the game's code to make it adjustable and open source, and that would be time wasted from developing the game.

to prevent humanity to reach the creative singularity obviously, imagine whole world you could live in and leave reality outside? the holodeck's black hole event horizon will happen and we will all disappear in pocket of dream once the VR module is done, humanity will be doom and will disappear once the robot we created to protect us, while lost in the personal holodeck where we don't reproduce anymore, will kill the last luddite.

Also, that

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 16, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »

Not necessarily,see dwarf fortress, they will handle that
Also see dwarf fortress, the first rule of mod is, if the public is passionate enough, no close source will stop them at modding. Given your targeted public is exactly that, nerd with affinity of obscure aesthetics, math and computer languages ... it will just happen, I will have my 3D rendering of infinite political landscape  Evil

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 16, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »

DF has built-in mod support (the raws are easily editable)
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 16, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »

That's not what I read ... back in the day. For example there was a whole thread about reverse engineering the UI because it sucks, also the toady one have admit just making things as they come along. Raw is easily editable is more likely a consequence of practicability of storing data and not thinking about obfuscation.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 16, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »

Ah, so in short: the code is so tied up to the content that open sourcing it would spoil the surprise. I can live with that.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic