Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:25:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 53
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 177691 times)
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: April 07, 2015, 02:44:03 AM »

Make your loins be girded and also fruitful in preparation for your thesis defense!

Thanks Smiley! I am pleased to report they are thoroughly girded at the present time.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: April 08, 2015, 05:49:21 AM »

All tomb engraving generation finished - around 958 million variations. Give or take. Now just onto the final bug hunt!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: April 11, 2015, 01:28:05 AM »

This week's blog entry is the shortest ever, and consists of four words repeated twice, and a picture. http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2015/04/11/i-passed-my-phd/

TinyAngryCrab
Level 0

o

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 11, 2015, 05:52:31 AM »

This week's blog entry is the shortest ever, and consists of four words repeated twice, and a picture. http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2015/04/11/i-passed-my-phd/

Congratulations, you are a wizard now. What will your first spell be
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 11, 2015, 07:31:03 AM »

PROCEDURAL GOD HERE HE COME
PROCEDURAL ALL DAYS LONG
PROCEDURAL ALL ALONG
PROCEDURALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atta atta oglo oglu praise exxon!

Canned Turkey
« Reply #585 on: April 11, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »

PRAISE DEREK FOR HE GIVITH AND TAKETH AWAY
PHDEREK IN DEREK SCIENCE
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: April 11, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »

Thanks folks! Smiley

Congratulations, you are a wizard now. What will your first spell be

So many spells, so little time! My first, I hope, will be casting Postdoc Acquisition...

PROCEDURAL GOD HERE HE COME
PROCEDURAL ALL DAYS LONG
PROCEDURAL ALL ALONG
PROCEDURALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeees!

PRAISE DEREK FOR HE GIVITH AND TAKETH AWAY
PHDEREK IN DEREK SCIENCE

That is a pretty amazing gif.

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: April 11, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »

First off congrats on the Phd, I'm sure that took a hell of a lot of work.

I don't know how this slipped by me but this game is so up my alley, downloading it right now!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: April 12, 2015, 02:08:45 AM »

First off congrats on the Phd, I'm sure that took a hell of a lot of work.

I don't know how this slipped by me but this game is so up my alley, downloading it right now!

Thanks! A fair bit, indeed Smiley. And glad you've found URR. There's a massive new version coming out next weekend with all the interiors there, so I may humbly suggest waiting until then!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: April 18, 2015, 03:42:12 AM »

After a mere four months of development, I am proud to announce the release of Ultima Ratio Regum 0.7! This release procedurally generates the interiors of every single building in the world ? from cathedrals and mansions to slum housing and shops, and everything in-between ? and the graphics for a vast range of items and features within those, ranging from ordinary chairs and tables to rare altars and underground sarcophagi. You can download it here (http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/), and read more detail about the release notes below.

This is the last worldbuilding release! From this point onwards I?ll be pushing onto gameplay, starting with NPCs in 0.8. This release now establishes URR as one of the most detailed procedural worlds ever rendered ? and one unparalleled in procedural cultural, aesthetic and religious detail ? and marks the end of generating the immense world over which the player?s ?quest? will play out.

Highlights:

- All buildings now have procedurally-generated interiors, where every single building has its own algorithms, archetypes, and items on the inside. This means everything, from cathedrals to slums, can now be fully explored, and in many cases span over many floors.

- All features within these buildings are also procedurally generated, from the most lowly of chairs, tables and candlestands to the rarest of altars, reliquaries and sarcophagi. All of each are dependent on the cultural norms for each nation.

Full Changelog:

- Procedural generation of cathedrals and religious buildings, distinct for each religion but consist across iterations.
- Generation of religious altars, religious reliquaries, and incense holders.
- Crypts now generate beneath graveyards in monarchies, and underneath cathedrals in theocracies.
- City centers how have all interiors generated for embassies, courts, galleries,  mercenary guilds and mints.
- Generation of large family mansions in upper-class housing districts, for both dominant and ?ascending? noble houses.
- Generation of middle-class housing and lower-class housing, as well as slum housing outside city walls.
- Taverns, arenas, jails and slave quarters spawn in lower-class districts in nations with the appropriate policies (taverns, however, are universal).
- Military hospitals, Officers? Quarters, Stables, Barracks and Armouries can be explored in feudal military districts.
- Shops and warehouses can be explored in market districts, although they do of course currently lack any items!
- Banks spawn in middle-class districts.
- Parliamentary buildings spawn in city centers of democratic nations.
- Farmhouses can be explored in the farms outside cities and towns.
- All buildings in hunter-gatherer nations now generate ? longhouses, chieftain huts, and general houses ? although they remain currently sparse.
- In fortresses, the player can now explore barracks, housing, and most importantly the oasis-like citadels at their centers.
- Altars for all religions now generate, aesthetically varied according to the archetypes and beliefs of each religion.
- Cathedrals and lesser religious buildings contain procedurally-generated reliquaries, incense holders, ornate vases, and much more, each distinct to a given religion.
- Everyday items like chairs, tables and beds also generate, with shapes and wood types distinct to each nation.
- Several buildings now contain candle stands which offer external sources of lighting that can be seen, even if the tiles between you and them cannot.
- Crypts are filled with sarcophagi, each with a unique generated image, within which is buried a figure from the world?s history.
- Save files are no longer in a single monolithic file, but now spread out so that no matter how many map grids may have been generated in a given playthrough, saving/loading speed never slows down.
- Various bug fixes, improvements, optimizations, etc, and a whole host of under-the-hood things implemented in preparation for 0.8.

I?m now working on 0.8 ? the introduction of NPCs, conversations, face generation, clothing, the works ? with an approximate target of four/five months from now, give or take. To finish off, here are some nice illustrative screenshots of 0.7 as it currently stands. Enjoy!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:58:59 AM by Ultima Ratio Regum » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 18, 2015, 04:28:03 AM »

I?m pretty sure the question marks are some kind of character encoding issue, but it makes your post look as if you ? re still questioning yourself? Which is entirely in character, I guess?
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: April 18, 2015, 06:22:03 AM »

I?m pretty sure the question marks are some kind of character encoding issue, but it makes your post look as if you ? re still questioning yourself? Which is entirely in character, I guess?

Uh, that's weird. Not sure what caused that...

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 18, 2015, 06:44:31 AM »

Wow this game looks great! I love all the generated content! I've been playing a lot of Dwarf Fortress lately, and this looks like a game that I can get into!

Edit: Saw a download link, I got it and going to give it a try later today!

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: April 19, 2015, 12:53:09 AM »

Finally got a chance to pay it and this is completely astonishing given the amount of time you had to work with it.  I love how the city geography gradually gets more and more dense the farther out you get from the center (as fortress towns would have been).  I am itching to see how things will change in v0.8.  My sense is that NPCs will make the game come alive. 

This may be a silly question (I'm an artist, forgive me) but how do you store all the different permutations of nationalities, religions, aesthetics, etc.?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 19, 2015, 01:01:02 AM »

Uh, that's weird. Not sure what caused that...
What kind of OS are you on an what browser - because it usually has something to do with that
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: April 20, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »

Wow this game looks great! I love all the generated content! I've been playing a lot of Dwarf Fortress lately, and this looks like a game that I can get into!

Edit: Saw a download link, I got it and going to give it a try later today!

Excellent! Let me know what you think Smiley

Finally got a chance to pay it and this is completely astonishing given the amount of time you had to work with it.  I love how the city geography gradually gets more and more dense the farther out you get from the center (as fortress towns would have been).  I am itching to see how things will change in v0.8.  My sense is that NPCs will make the game come alive.  

This may be a silly question (I'm an artist, forgive me) but how do you store all the different permutations of nationalities, religions, aesthetics, etc.?

Well that's awesome, I'm so glad you like it at the moment! Yeah, I feel the same way: I can't wait to wander around a world populated by people who perceive the world and make their decisions according to their cultures, religions, etc etc, and have PCG faces, tattoos/jewelry perhaps, clothing, terms of speech (insults, compliments, greetings, etc) and everything else...

Hmm - do you mean how do I store the permutations selected for a given world, or all the databases of possibilities?

What kind of OS are you on an what browser - because it usually has something to do with that

Just Windows 7 and Chrome; it has never happened before. Eh! Let's ignore it, I'll just keep an eye on it next time...

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: April 22, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »

"all the databases of possibilities?" Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 22, 2015, 10:37:33 PM »

Let's ignore it, I'll just keep an eye on it next time...
I suggest to not even do that and just let it happen when it happens. Life needs its little quirks and mysteries Tongue
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 23, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »

How would you handle npc? Are they unique and persistant? do they have schedule (daily, weekly, mouthly, yearly? age of life?) Do they travel between region? or stay inside there region tile? Or are they generated uniquely based on simulation's bubble and stop existing after (ie coming back will likely be a new npc).

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: April 23, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »

"all the databases of possibilities?" Smiley

Ah, well, it varies. Textual things are just stored in huge lists of words that are put together; many of the components for images are stored as strings of textual characters as well (well, actually, all the images!); some are stored in a kind of massive catch-all class called "Tracker" where only one is spawned per world and keeps track of almost everything, and also contains the databases from which everything generated anew is drawn, to ensure the same things aren't generated twice, two things don't generate twice, etc. Basically everything that generates is image and text, and that basically covers it! A lot is simpler than it looks on the outside, in some ways...

Let's ignore it, I'll just keep an eye on it next time...
I suggest to not even do that and just let it happen when it happens. Life needs its little quirks and mysteries Tongue

Agreed!

How would you handle npc? Are they unique and persistant? do they have schedule (daily, weekly, mouthly, yearly? age of life?) Do they travel between region? or stay inside there region tile? Or are they generated uniquely based on simulation's bubble and stop existing after (ie coming back will likely be a new npc).

Basically, there will be two classes: persistent, and spawning/de-spawning (like the NPCs in Assassin's Creed). The persistent NPCs will be the important figures who are maintained as you move around the world, whilst the others will appear in crowds as appropriate in various settlements. Some will travel, naturally, but some will remain stationary. I'm figuring out how much of a schedule they should have at the moment!

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 53
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic