Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:14:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2012
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 89
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2012  (Read 160901 times)
bento_smile
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: February 23, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »

monster king that sounds reasonable you have to realize by now that humans are not like monsters

Monsters have more time to judge games because of extra heads and limbs..? Maybe we are on to something...
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1081 on: February 23, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »

i like how every year the igf thread turns into this
IGF - Indignation Gaming Fuckfest

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1082 on: February 23, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »

no i meant that humans are not reasonable, like monsters are. if a monster is hurt it casts heal or runs away, if a human is hurt it uses gamefaqs or hacks the game

bento_smile
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 23, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »

I dunno, most monsters just stand there when hurt while I hit them with same critical magic until they die. :/

Can monsters even make videogames?
zratchet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:50 PM »

Sounds like someone needs a producer because they didn't ship on time.

Cofounder/Creative/Production Lead - Zeolite Studios

http://facebook.com/ZeoliteStudiosInc
Chris Pavia
« Reply #1085 on: February 23, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »

So when is someone going to make the IGF Attack Force and IGF Defense Force avatars???
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: February 23, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »

Playing a shed load of games and judging them isn't hard. I do it every time we have a TIG compo, and they get about 50-100 entrants. How many games does each judge get assigned? Sometimes I even leave feedback on all the entries so they know their game is getting a fair whack. The IGF really need to sort out the judges that aren't putting the time in and hold them accountable. It's the IGFs responsibility to ensure every entrant is judged fairly.

hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1087 on: February 23, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »

well maybe make it "all of them" instead of many!! pwned.... B)
but yeah I don't think it would be those judges we are talking about, then
"this guy did something wrong, he should've done X!" "well this other guy DID do X" "thats a OTHER GUY"

I can't say that all judges did it because I am not personally reading the minds of all judges (what a crap superpower that would be) and therefore I can only say that I see lots of people doing exactly what you suggested. Because, you know, I try to be accurate?

A lot of people here are screaming like all the judges hate them, while not being able to see what went on behind the scenes. You saw an assigned judge who didn't play? You have no way to know if that judge just sat on his/her ass and ignored the game, or posted that they couldn't play the game and called for someone else to fill in, or played the game in a way that couldn't be recorded on your tracking system for some reason (not so likely with an unreleased game).

You don't know and I don't know, and we can both make stupid shit up and then we both look like idiots.

the other one is "it didnt work" and that sounds like feedback that is pretty fast to send. it didnt work sry! on windows 7 64
WOW 30 seconds of my time omg but nope im too busy for that... too busy..........

And I can verify that they submit this sort of feedback too - to each other, to the organisers, and to the devs. Then you wait a week for them to get around to submitting a fixed build. Then you discover the fixed build STILL doesn't work and you complain again. Then you wait some more. 24 hours before deadline the dev finally submits something that runs. Yes, this happens.

If your game was broken and nobody told you, then some people were being crap and that sucks. But don't make stuff up to complain that nobody submits this sort of problem when that's not true.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: February 23, 2012, 03:47:29 PM »

I dunno, most monsters just stand there when hurt while I hit them with same critical magic until they die. :/

Can monsters even make videogames?

what is critical magic? you must be playing one of those weird games where even magic can get critical hits. those are some weird games

Dragonmaw
« Reply #1089 on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »

Playing a shed load of games and judging them isn't hard. I do it every time we have a TIG compo, and they get about 50-100 entrants. How many games does each judge get assigned? Sometimes I even leave feedback on all the entries so they know their game is getting a fair whack. The IGF really need to sort out the judges that aren't putting the time in and hold them accountable. It's the IGFs responsibility to ensure every entrant is judged fairly.

I wish I was an admin so I could run these every 2-3 months.
bento_smile
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 23, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »

what is critical magic?

Fira.  Wizard
AndySchatz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1091 on: February 23, 2012, 04:01:24 PM »

So when is someone going to make the IGF Attack Force and IGF Defense Force avatars???
Best I could do on a moments notice.  I AM busy, after all, unlike all you non-judge slackers.

Pocketwatch Games - Monaco, Venture Arctic, Venture Africa
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1092 on: February 23, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »

judges not giving someone their "fair chance":

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: February 23, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »

My avatar is already battle-ready... AND I have Jesus on my side!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: February 23, 2012, 04:11:10 PM »

glaiel if you have time to link to youtube you probably have time to answer my earlier question about closure that you ignored

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1095 on: February 23, 2012, 04:12:41 PM »

Closure... I tried showing that game to my GF. It crashed on the 2nd level. She got the impression that it was broken, so I can see Tyler's point.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1096 on: February 23, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »

glaiel if you have time to link to youtube you probably have time to answer my earlier question about closure that you ignored

you mean what makes new closure better than old closure? I'm more than willing to talk about it but this thread isn't really the place for it and its irrelevant to the discussion

@phubans that one is adobe's fault, also that's just the prototype, and its pretty bad (the version on newgrounds should be fixed)
st33d
« Reply #1097 on: February 23, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »

He has a point. I dev Flash 24/7 and Adobe aren't scared of ruining your shit despite claiming backwards compatibility.

It's not like the Facebook API where they tell you up front they're scrapping everything your app is based on and all the tutorials on the net are now meaningless garbage.

Adobe simply don't tell you.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1098 on: February 23, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »

He has a point. I dev Flash 24/7 and Adobe aren't scared of ruining your shit despite claiming backwards compatibility.

It's not like the Facebook API where they tell you up front they're scrapping everything your app is based on and all the tutorials on the net are now meaningless garbage.

Adobe simply don't tell you.

it worked fine for 3 years, then in like october or november they put out an update that changed when DisplayObject.visible changes take effect (i think it just buffered it and didn't make the change till end of frame?) so what I was doing to make collision maps for closure stopped working.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1099 on: February 23, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »

@glaiel - you can talk about it in a closure thread if you like. but i didn't think it was irrelevant, because you claimed that the reason the remake of closure is good is because of the igf, and that making a game to suit the way the igf judges games (i.e. by the first 5 minutes) makes a game better, and can never make a game worse

whereas my point was that sometimes suiting a game for a general mass audience can sometimes make a game worse, particularly for niche games, and that players who judge a game by the first 5 minutes aren't the be all and end all of one's audience, sometimes you have an audience that does research, reads reviews, is more patient, or acts on recommendations rather than on first impressions

so my thought was: perhaps by making the remake of closure to suit the igf, you made it more "casual" than the flash game? easier puzzles for instance. fewer points where the player can get stuck. more clues and prompts. decisions which might not suit people who were used to the flash version and wanted the same game but more challenges, variety, and puzzle elements, instead decisions which suited people who would just go on to their next game without missing a beat if your game bored them for a few moments

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 89
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic