Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1025748 Posts in 41107 Topics- by 32713 Members - Latest Member: CarlaWolfe

July 23, 2014, 03:41:49 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2012
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 119
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2012  (Read 89109 times)
Glaiel-Gamer
One Epic Motherfucker
Level 10

Stoleurface!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #735 on: January 12, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »

That's too bad, I was looking forward to Shadow Physics. Are you working on another game now?

I know steve's working on a new game that's pretty fucking cool right now

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

philfish11@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #736 on: January 12, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »

paul, i don't get to decide who gets invited to the elite.
it's not an organised thing. nobody has control over anything.

i dont remember meeting you at derek's party.
but every online interaction i've had with you was creepy and bordering on stalking?
you weird me out. to quote the 40 year old virgin, you're putting the pussy on a pedestal.
stop putting me in your games. it's weird.

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #737 on: January 12, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »

That's too bad, I was looking forward to Shadow Physics. Are you working on another game now?

Had to get a real job (one that actually pays well and gives me health insurance). In my case a real job is still game development though. Might do some more indie stuff though in the future.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:17:31 PM by Impossible » Logged
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #738 on: January 12, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »

paul, i don't get to decide who gets invited to the elite.
it's not an organised thing. nobody has control over anything.

i dont remember meeting you at derek's party.
but every online interaction i've had with you was creepy and bordering on stalking?
you weird me out. to quote the 40 year old virgin, you're putting the pussy on a pedestal.
stop putting me in your games. it's weird.

>>Referring to self as "the pussy"...

...Not sure if serious. Huh?

Yeah, we met briefly at Derek's, I told you Fez looked great and congrats with it. I shook your hand. I think you were pretty drunk and/or stoned; you just kind of stared of blankly like a dead, well... Fish. So after that I didn't think much of it except, "Okay, maybe he's smug" or whatever, but then I noticed other people pointing out the same things about you and I joined in. Every subsequent interaction with you (sending you PMs) was just kind of trollish behavior, but I can see how they would be creepy in the context of actually taking it seriously.

As for putting you in my game, that was one game, which was a parody of the indie culture, and I figured you were a recognized-enough member of the source material to be worth putting in. If you had actually played the game you'd realize you weren't the only indie developer it featured, and there are no further plans to include you in any of my other games. Besides, outside of the indie game community, people like you aren't even really known (no offense), so much of the references in that game fell on deaf ears.

Hopefully this clears everything up between us.

Dragonmaw
Global Moderator
Level 10

Notorious D.R.G.

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 12, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »

To be completely fair, Phubans you ARE kind of a creeper allsometimes

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

-Snoop Dogg
peanutbuttershoes
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: January 12, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

wat a hell

luthyr
Level 0

LuthyrFFXI
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #741 on: January 12, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »

Just joined the forums and thought I’d chime in…

This year was my first year being a judge, and I was a bit disappointed with the process.  I was given a short list of games to judge, none of which seemed to me worth nominating.  However, there were a few games that I wasn’t assigned, where I went ahead and nominated because I had played them after they got a lot of press.

The judging process I disliked because I didn’t feel confident if a game was good enough to be nominated.  I think it would have been nice to have a sort of system where we could upvote/downvote games, and they would gradually sort into pools of “avoid/recommend”, so we could see which were still in the middle and needed attention.  After this kind of culling, I think it would be easier to put them into appropriate categories like design or art. 

I have no doubts that many games just fell through the crack and were barely looked at.  I still like the idea of a jury.  They are able to look at the activity of the judges by the games nominated, yet I don’t think they can be as informed if the judges aren’t very informed.  What I would imagine, is that many of the judges nominated games they had heard of, (maybe) judged their assigned games, and left it at that.

Ideally, I think that the jury should collectively play every single game submitted if that’s not currently the case.  But yeah, I feel like the issues coming up are more of a problem with the judging process than it is about any kind of secret agenda.

As for the us vs them arguments, I’ve never gotten the impression that the “indie elite” community is out only for themselves… They’ve always seemed very inviting to me.

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #742 on: January 12, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »

What I would imagine, is that many of the judges nominated games they had heard of, (maybe) judged their assigned games, and left it at that.

that's also how i imagine it; it's good to see another judge who agrees that that method can be a problem

Dragonmaw
Global Moderator
Level 10

Notorious D.R.G.

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 12, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »

I judge my assigned games and then whatever games catch my eye while browsing through the list. But that's just me.

Good screenshots count, people!

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

-Snoop Dogg
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #744 on: January 12, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »

This year was my first year being a judge, and I was a bit disappointed with the process.  I was given a short list of games to judge, none of which seemed to me worth nominating.  However, there were a few games that I wasn’t assigned, where I went ahead and nominated because I had played them after they got a lot of press.

That's basically exactly what everyone's bitching about. In absence of the games you got assigned to rate, or even looking at other games that could be bad, you went to add your vote to the ones with the best marketing that were known to be at least pretty good - though may not be the best game.

This turns into a circle-jerk. Game by well-known designer gets good press which makes it well-known so when it gets into IGF it gets extra attention because it's a well-known designer, they get to be an even more well-known designer and now it's like there's this unbreachable wall, "indie elite".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:01:48 PM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Glaiel-Gamer
One Epic Motherfucker
Level 10

Stoleurface!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #745 on: January 12, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »

that round of judging had next to no influence on the jury round of judges, we were able to see how many of the assigned judges nominated it for our category, which had more of an impact than the number of total nominations.

Not to say the first round didn't have an impact, but every game that got even just 1 nomination was considered for the category.

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #746 on: January 12, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »

what % of games entered got a nomination for a category?

PTibz
Level 0

Professional Fatherhood Expert

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #747 on: January 12, 2012, 08:41:11 PM »

This year was my first year being a judge, and I was a bit disappointed with the process.  I was given a short list of games to judge, none of which seemed to me worth nominating.  However, there were a few games that I wasn’t assigned, where I went ahead and nominated because I had played them after they got a lot of press.

That's basically exactly what everyone's bitching about. In absence of the games you got assigned to rate, or even looking at other games that could be bad, you went to add your vote to the ones with the best marketing that were known to be at least pretty good - though may not be the best game.

This turns into a circle-jerk. Game by well-known designer gets good press which makes it well-known so when it gets into IGF it gets extra attention because it's a well-known designer, they get to be an even more well-known designer and now it's like there's this unbreachable wall, "indie elite".

It's really not that difficult at all to get press.
Make a good game.
Talk to people about it because you're passionate and love it.
Then send it to the tips lines at the various sites or contact the journalists you think would fit your game directly.

Do your research and actually put some work into it. You can't just expect to make something decent, throw it on TIG, and have it all the sudden be everywhere. A lot of games popularity also is based on recent trends in the market and not necessarily what people like right now, but what you think they WILL like in the future. Take this into account. Realize there are SO many artists in other walks of life that see no exposure or money for what they create. Be happy if you can make anything off of what you love to do.

I understand why you're upset Phubans, but you probably should have said it the way you just explained things in the first place instead of flying into a rage. Not everything works out for everyone. Life is in no way fair. Many things are left to chance and circumstance. That's how it is.

It's great to fight this fact because it's what keeps us as humans happy, but know that not everything will work out just because you want it too. I'm sure you know this and so do many others, but you sure aren't acting like it. What you deserve is clearly not what you always get.

Octodad!
President/Software Engineer/Community Manager at Young Horses, Inc.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #748 on: January 12, 2012, 09:09:43 PM »

that wasn't phubans -- why are you addressing him as phubans?

also, this is a bit late, but i just thought of another reason why i can't follow mattheww's suggestion about quitting working on my game: i've already accepted preorders for it. i think there are legal issues involved in not fulfilling contracts like that; i can't just take people's money and then say i'm not finishing the game
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:49:45 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Bandages
« Reply #749 on: January 12, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »

that wasn't phubans -- why are you addressing him as phubans?

also, this is a bit late, but i just thought of another reason why i can't follow mattheww's suggestion about quitting working on my game: i've already accepted preorders for it. i think there are legal issues involved in not fulfilling contracts like that; i can't just take people's money and then say i'm not finishing the game

CORTEX COMMMMAAAAAAAAAAND  Evil

(yeah I know it's not the same situation - it's a joke because fuck paying $20 for a guy to say "ehhhhh nahhhhhhhhhh")
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 119
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic