Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:20:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Wizard Island
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Red Wizard Island  (Read 25931 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2011, 07:11:03 AM »

Really enjoying seeing all the progress you're making and looking forward to the demo release.

Game reminds me of the best of old school Amiga platformers, Superfrog etc...

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »

Really enjoying seeing all the progress you're making and looking forward to the demo release.

Game reminds me of the best of old school Amiga platformers, Superfrog etc...

Thank you, I wouldn't compare my game to Superfrog, that's too much of an honor.  Smiley

Meanwhile I've made level 3 today and fixed some more glitches that appeared around the text system and enemy movements.
Planning to improve the level editor a bit, making level 3 took me longer than it could have, and what I'm thinking of would reduce loading time too, I think...

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »

Alright,

The endboss isn't very strong yet cause I'm testing stuff with attack patterns and whatnot, and it's not very polished yet, but I promised a vid to some people so here you are. Wink I'm saving the music for the demo release so no music yet sorry. Tongue

New:

- viking chicken endboss (gfx still needs some refining)
- village & villagers
- HUD
- sheep
- more stuff but you can't see it, it's under the hood

Speaking of which, today I optimized loading times.

Level 3 grew quite big because I wanted a mountain, so I introduced some new algorithms. Result:
Tile processing: from 6441 ms to 42 ms
Parallax forest processing: from 1724 ms to 50 ms
Loading time of static objects: from 1652 ms to 369 ms
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:40:56 PM by r0ber7 » Logged

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »

Working on the gfx for a new spell. Today I went from this...

to this:

Work in progress. Eventually the wizard will be rotating upward until the "cloud" forms, at which point he'll grab his staff with both hands and crash the ground. Thinking of making the entire thing somewhat blueish, and of course a nice glow will be added as well.

Coding will come later. I've taken a break for a while and am taking my time, no hurry.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2011, 06:07:30 PM »

Nice to see how the spell animation evolved.

What's the spell going to do?

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2011, 02:17:51 AM »

Nice to see how the spell animation evolved.

What's the spell going to do?

Thanks. Smiley The idea is that on impact it will cause the ground to spike up, kinda like this.

I think I can create the effect by stretching the polys of the surrounding ground tiles up. Spikes will harm all surrounding enemies and make them bounce away, making it useful for when a lot of them are in one place.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2011, 05:57:13 AM »

I call this one the fire sperm of DEATH. It will get fired at the main character by viking wizards (still to be pixeled). I'm not sure if I should make it green or keep it yellow/red. What you think?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:03:57 AM by r0ber7 » Logged

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2011, 06:31:04 AM »

Looks awesome, i would keep it red as it is, it looks cool! Great animations btw

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2011, 07:00:02 AM »

The colour is great but it looks a little awkward with the 'head' of the sperm so static while the tail is so fluidly animated. I'd make the head flicker, or move a little up/down or forward/backward, or pulsate or anything.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2012, 04:53:52 PM »

Ok, quick update. Been working on the graphics for the enemy projectile, and I've fully coded in a climbing up/hanging from the edge of a tile thing. I'll be on vacation in France next week, which will give me some time to implement the new spell into the game, maybe start multiplayer, more levels, other stuff, who knows. I've got a list of things so we'll see. See you next week.  =D

The colour is great but it looks a little awkward with the 'head' of the sperm so static while the tail is so fluidly animated. I'd make the head flicker, or move a little up/down or forward/backward, or pulsate or anything.

I've had more comments on the head, it's been modified now.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2012, 04:25:01 AM »

I'm back baby!

All I've done so far is modify the HUD to include coins, but at least it's something. Before, I kinda went overboard by trying to do everything I came up with. So I'm keeping it simple now. One thing at a time. I'll probably give updates less frequently, but this project lives on.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2012, 05:07:44 AM »

- HUD now includes coins, fully functional
- Added collision detection for walls > 32x32 pixels. Makes the landscape less "griddy".

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:30 AM »

- enemies now drop powerups
- added explosion particles effect at fireball impact
- added start position info to level editor & game

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »

New pixels.

This is an old version. The door didn't work very well in-game so I left it out, and I added some other stuff. Today (so far):

- added watchtower
- added viking archers
- got rid of a bug in level 2

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »

nice! kinda reminds me of terraria (visually)

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »

Hi, just found this, consider me interested. Amiga fan are you? I've warm memories of Magic Pockets, Gods, Xenon 2, Kick Off, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, SoundTracker, etc. Happy days.
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »

Hi, just found this, consider me interested. Amiga fan are you? I've warm memories of Magic Pockets, Gods, Xenon 2, Kick Off, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, SoundTracker, etc. Happy days.

Smiley Just yesterday I saw there's a Cannon Fodder 3... Apparently they've signed the rights away to a russian company.

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »

Yeah, it just turned up apparently, no warning, no preview. Don't know what it's like, but I wont play it, as I suspect it will tarnish my memories.
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2012, 01:47:51 PM »

Yeah, it just turned up apparently, no warning, no preview. Don't know what it's like, but I wont play it, as I suspect it will tarnish my memories.

Looks like they've made a good effort. Still, I'm not buying it. Same reason you mentioned.

Anyway, been busy.

New gameplay video here.

- added a new spell called flash (watch video)
- updated the shops to include all currently available spells
- added mana potions (kept running out of mana a bit too much)

In the future I think the special ability of the flash spell will be to break through walls. Right now it deals only a little damage, but it looks pretty nice if you ask me. Smiley Lots of different things have been tweaked and changed since the last video, so check this one out. I think you'll like the new particle effects I added to the fireball explosion. Also, I swear, even though I designed this level and I've played it way too many times, yes, I really forgot to get the key...  Wink

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2012, 04:01:07 AM »

That new video is looking great. Like the new Flash spell, seems to work really well and visually it's interesting. Should come in handy while playing.

The new particle effects on the fireball are also looking really nice.

Like the guy you shoot who bounces back up  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic