Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:10:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhost Puzzle
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Puzzle  (Read 10286 times)
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 01:16:48 PM »

I really enjoy games that combine good art and clever design with simple but effective and original gameplay  Smiley

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »

Great video, nice job and really like the bounce back on the puzzle pieces.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »

it's remind me this manga:

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »

Hey just saw this, looks cool! How did you find working with Marmalade? Did you encounter any platform-specific bugs?

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 04:03:21 AM »

Thanks for the comments Smiley I was worried about whether the video was any good or not.

Hey just saw this, looks cool! How did you find working with Marmalade? Did you encounter any platform-specific bugs?
Working with Marmalade isn't bad. Haven't encountered anything serious so far, so it's fine Smiley

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »

Hey does anyone have an iPod Touch or an iPhone 3 (or older model) and want to help test this game? I'd like to know if the game works on these devices...

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 02:21:42 AM »

Well, I spend my entire weekend working on a new feature as fast as I could. I had a really nice suggestion from one my beta testers. Despite the game's cute look, the puzzles are actually brutal as hell. So I was suggested to put in some hints, in the form of revealing the first block placements.

That's why I implemented hint coins, which a player can use to reveal the correct moves. You collect the coins during Endless mode

Even though it was already possible to skip a puzzle, I think this is a great way to help out if you're utterly stuck in a puzzle. Of course, you're not supposed to use these hints all the time, so you can only collect up to 5 coins at t a time.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »

Well, I submitted my first game to Apple for the review process. How exciting Epileptic

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »

woohoo  Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »

Nice, good luck  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 07:22:54 PM »

Nice art style and it looks polished.  Can you explain the exact differences between this and Puyo?  It seems pretty similar.
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »

Thanks!

It's not so surprising the game looks similar to Puyo Puyo, since I based it on my Puyo fangame. The main difference is the ghosts, which are always the key to solving the puzzles. You catch them by making chains like Puyo Puyo. Instead of battling with opponents, you try to make chains and catch all ghosts. (In the previous screenshot you can see you need a 6 chain to catch the last ghost)

If you're good at Puyo Puyo (and pretty much noone is Tongue), you'll find it easier to solve the puzzles. But there are still some clever tricks to the puzzles, making the answers not so obvious.

Oh and in other news, I've decided to go for a release date of 12 March, two weeks from now Beer!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »

It's nice that you've put a spin on the Puyo gameplay rather than just make yet another Puyo clone.  Good luck with it.
My Escape
Level 0

Virtual in presence but human in our proceedings.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »

I just watched the trailer and wanted to say congrats! The game looks really polished and seems to have turned out well. Good luck to you!

Hang out with us! My Escape’s site, Facebookery, Tweet us @TweetMyEscape or see our WIPs on YouTubular.
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:14 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

The game was accepted by Apple Beer! Of course I discovered bugs after I had sent it to Apple (*sigh*), so I sent an update right away Tongue

I've decided the launch date and price too: next week on March 12th and it'll go for $2.99. If you think it's a little pricey, the game will go for $0.99 on launch day. The free lite version follows the day after.

On another note, the game doesn't run that well on some Android phone unfortunately D:
On the Galaxy Nexus it runs slow and the HTC Hero won't work unless low-res assets are used (and it still runs slow) orz

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »

Today I sent a bunch of review requests to a dozen websites or so. I dunno how others do this, but I feel stressed somehow -_-
Can't help but to feel worried about every email i send (I keep rewriting them every time i send them). Maybe because it's my first game and all.

I guess marketing and PR isn't my thing Shrug

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »

Today I sent a bunch of review requests to a dozen websites or so. I dunno how others do this, but I feel stressed somehow -_-
Can't help but to feel worried about every email i send (I keep rewriting them every time i send them). Maybe because it's my first game and all.

I guess marketing and PR isn't my thing Shrug

I know how you feel, man!  We ran through the same thing just 1 week ago.  I was lucky to have a few contacts in the industry to help me toss around e-mails, but there still hasn't been a whole lot of coverage.  I just want to make the games...why don't they market themselves? Wink

Awesome game, btw.  Highly polished and aesthetically pleasing/interesting.  Best of luck with the release!

keoni29
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »

You're an amazing artist!
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »

I just want to make the games...why don't they market themselves? Wink
I know, right XD
Thanks for the encouragement.

You're an amazing artist!
Thanks! I don't see myself amazing though -~-; I still need to improve on a lot of things.

Well anyway, no nibbles so far from any emails i've sent. Not sure how long I'm supposed to wait for a response anyway Huh? I'll try again I guess. Also after reading some more articles on Gamasutra about marketing, I'm now coming to a conclusion that my emails were probably too long (whereas I was worried about them being too short lol). Oh well, whatever. Everyone seems to say something else anyway.

I'd also love to contact smaller websites, since I only went for the big fish so far. Except I don't know how to find them, haha. I'll most likely have to go for some guerilla marketing and spam the hell out of forum/website/whatever I come across Noir

Falsen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »

Your game looks pretty cool and as some people have said, the art style is really nice.

I haven't had the opportunity to use this site myself but promoterapp.com has a pretty huge list of sites that can be organized by platform. Might be worth checking out. You may also want to check out sites like gamespress.com and bluesnews.com.

The more emails you send out to relevant websites, the better chance someone from the press will cover your game.

As far as the content of the emails, my plan is to keep it short (short game description, platforms) and link to a section of our website with everything a journalist needs to write about our game. Things like screenshots, videos, a press release, box art and so forth. Also, it might be a good idea to have a trailer link in the email too. Basically make it as easy as possible for the the person reading your email.

This strategy worked fairly well when we first announced Dark Scavenger.

Well I hope that was at least slightly helpful. Good luck with Ghost Puzzle.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:42:15 PM by Falsen » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic