Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411473 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:23:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlue Saga (MMO)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Blue Saga (MMO)  (Read 13892 times)
skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 11:15:43 AM »

The tavern's roof looks like a brick wall rather than a tiled roof, but other than that I like the changes! Lookin' good

Agree with this, it's looking alot better  Smiley but the roof needs work.

I agree with both of you =) I need to study pixelart-roofs!

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »

Working on a system to show off your crew to other players without making the screen to busy when there are many players around. My idea is that the crewmembers are hidden by default, but when holding shift, the crewmembers are shown. If you're standing still, the crewmembers are standing around the captain, but if you move, they follow the captain like a cute little snake.

Here is a video showing it in action:

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »

Really like the system to show off your crew. Seems to work really well  Hand Thumbs Up Left

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 01:09:13 PM »

Really like the system to show off your crew. Seems to work really well  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Cool!

Right now I am trying to figure out the best way to implement the ability system. I have done it once before, but it got messy and didn't cover all the different kinds of abilities I want to have.

This is a really simple sketch of what kind exist. I can already see that I have forgotten passive abilities.

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 09:19:11 AM »

Sorry for the lack of updates on the development of the game. I am actually working real hard on it trying to finish up a closed alpha testing with friends this weekend. I am going to try and host a game with 10-15 players and see how it turns out.

Having these smaller deadlines is really healthy for the project since it really makes me work harder, tying up loose ends in the game concept and fixing bugs.

I have now added 3 sewer levels and 3 catacombs levels. Finished up the plains to the north of the village with some monsters and a mini-boss. I will also add a larger boss at the bottom of the catacombs with a treasure.

Implemented a first serious version of the damage calculator taking into account all the stats of the attacker and the defender.

A story has started to form in my head as well, making the setting of the world. Since it is inspired by the anime One Piece it takes place during a great pirate age, where everyone is trying to find mighty lost treasures from far away times. One legend tells of a demon pirate that was so strong that he defeated each single one of the ancient behemoths, collecting artefacts from each of their bodies. It is said that these artefacts contain special powers that gives it's owner special abilities. This would explain the ability orb system that I want to use.

Throughout the game world there will be checkpoint fountains as there usually are in rpgs and other adventure games, but I wanted to find a nice explanation for them so here goes one alternative:

There is an old legend saying that whenever the demon pirate stayed for a longer time at the same place, his tremendous force got absorbed by the earth. It is said that you can still feel it at specific spots. Pirates trying to follow the demon in it's footsteps have built fountains at these markings, letting the water channel the energy. Some proclaim that if you drink the water of such a fountain, you feel reenergized. There has even been witnesses of fallen warriors resurrecting near these sources.

So that is what I have been up to, apart from that I have started working on a website for the game, and I will finish it up together with the bugs and requests I will get from the testing this weekend. After that I will be collecting names of those who are interested for another bigger testing, trying to expand the game to host around 50 players and see how it holds up.

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 02:36:59 AM »

Changed the name of the game to "Blue Saga", "Blue" representing the oceans you will travel as a player and pirate, "Saga" for the adventures you will experience.

Changed the battle system so instead of being turn-based on a separate screen like Final Fantasy it will all take place on the same screen like regular rpgs. I have also added the support of projectiles so you can both attack something/someone with melee while shooting at something else at the same time. This makes the PvP more fun and that is the main reason I changed it.

Other things added to the game:
- Skill system in place, now you earn skill points (SP) when using skills effectively, this will level up your skill eventually, making it possible for you to equip better weapon requiring that skill or use more powerful magic
- When moving to the edge of a map, the camera stops following the player so that you start moving to the edge of the screen
- Added a spell shop where you acquire new spells
- Ability system works now, with instant abilities, sticky abilities and more
- You see stat changes when equipping items and see info about them (see screenshot)
- Monsters can use abilities now
- Added a range for abilities, so you can't cast spells across the whole screen, different abilities have different ranges
- Added lightning effects on projectiles in dark areas (sewers, dungeons...)
- Tiles can get damaged
- Monsters drop loot on the ground, and can get picked up
- shared XP from kills, is distributed to those who have dealt damage (%)
- Abilities and stats system are set now, existing monsters have been balanced a bit
- Actionbar with abilities
- Cooldown on abilities
- Potions are automatically stacked on the actionbar (will add drag n drop later)

Made a site for the game:
www.bluesaga.org

Need to make a newer video to put on the site, since the game has changed quite a bit since the battles are not turn-based anymore.

I am now working on a bounty system for the pvp to make it more fun to play while I add content. Will put up a client soon for both Mac and PC.

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 05:50:55 AM »

Here is a new gameplay video showing v0.25 of the game including the new battle and bounty system:

http://youtu.be/WWLw3-Q7-6Y?hd=1

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »

Just posting to say that the project is still in development.

I actually got help from a friend with the coding, and another friend for graphics, so it feels really professional now =)

I've gone through and updated nearly all my code in the game that I've done during the past year, correcting the structure to make it fit more the changed concept of the game.

The basic concept is that the game will revolve around different creature families. You will be able to choose a family in the beginning of the game, and then all quests and actions you do will affect your reputation with other families. This reputation will give access to other quests and areas.

I have also reworked the whole Monster/NPC thing. Now any monster can give quests if your reputation is good enough. So a monster can change status from being aggro, to give you quest, to finally sell items to you. I think this will be quite unique and give the game an interesting touch.

You will even be able to battle NPCs, wich will most of the time be very powerful.

A lot of this inspiration comes from all the hours I've spent playing Dark Souls.

My coder friend has made a particle system for the game that will add some nice effects instead of my choppy sprite-animations.

Hope anyone is still interested, and I will try and post some new content soon!

Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »

Looks cool. Love the logo and art. Glad you're on track!

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2012, 03:20:44 AM »

Looks cool. Love the logo and art. Glad you're on track!

Thanks!

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2012, 09:12:51 AM »

Here is the beginning of some art for the game made by my friend Otto:

Link to larger version:
https://twitter.com/skullboxlabs/status/256439844300017664/photo/1/large

The starting area will be the forest, so a few npcs are needed, no name for these guys yet. Any suggestions?

IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »

The starting area will be the forest, so a few npcs are needed, no name for these guys yet. Any suggestions?
The Beast and Beauty  Durr...?

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2012, 02:03:47 AM »

Changed the whole UI so it is more adapted for mouse, with items stats shown in popups when hovering the mouse over items.

You can now drag and drop equipment from your inventory.
Updated the shop to work with mouse as well.

Left to do on the ui is the actionbar, working on drag and drop for that one as well.

The five equip boxes are for helmets, weapons, offhands, amulets, artifacts.

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 07:23:32 AM »

Decided to drop the classes, instead players will be able to place their STRENGTH, INTELLIGENCE, AGILITY stats themselves.
When you create a new character, instead of class you get to choose a starting weapon.

Here are some icons for the different ablity-types, can you guess which one is which?

IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »

Decided to drop the classes, instead players will be able to place their STRENGTH, INTELLIGENCE, AGILITY stats themselves.
When you create a new character, instead of class you get to choose a starting weapon.
Ooh, me likey  Well, hello there!

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »

Here is a new screenshot of a new area I've added, showing some height differences:

Got some help with the pixelart from my friend Otto.

I've also added a cave, will post screens of that soon.

Other than that I've fixed health and mana regain when not in combat, added all quests for the first public testing. So there isn't much left to do except some tweaking and adding of particle-effects =D

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 02:53:43 PM »

Good to see this is still going, and these icons are really nice.

Your last screenshot looks interesting, but the art is all over the shop.. you've got gradient shaded things, shadows, transparent things, highlights on buttons, dark outlines on some things and quite light outlines on other things, rounded edges on some things, and straight corners on others, different 'pixel' sizes for elements, oh my... Sad You need to get this in order!

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2012, 12:04:35 AM »

Good to see this is still going, and these icons are really nice.

Thank you!

Your last screenshot looks interesting, but the art is all over the shop.. you've got gradient shaded things, shadows, transparent things, highlights on buttons, dark outlines on some things and quite light outlines on other things, rounded edges on some things, and straight corners on others, different 'pixel' sizes for elements, oh my... Sad You need to get this in order!

Yes you're right, the graphics are all over the place, I really need help from someone who can look over the graphics and do graphics for the whole game. If anyone is interested just let me know. Since the game changed so much during the development the graphics became very irregular, so yes I really need to fix it.

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »

Redid the art for the shop and the inn (old tavern). Would be cool if you could talk to the snail and get quests from the actual inn-building and not only people inside it =D

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »

You are doing pretty good with the art. I don't think you need help, you just need to choose a style and stick with it.

I pointed out the main things I think that stand out, and your latest images look really good. But the flowers are top-down but the other sprites are viewed at an angle. Maybe set up a template with perspective guides in it so everything is consistently from the same angle.

Also you have black outlines and dark outlines. If you are using black outlines to denote a special kind of object then that's fine, it makes it stand out, but I think you need to make sure that any object with a black outline is an interactive object, and if not then give it the lighter outline.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic