Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:09:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTIGdb - Suggestions!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: TIGdb - Suggestions!  (Read 37366 times)
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2008, 10:16:16 PM »

Personally, I'd love to see more old games listed in the database. But by old, I figure 2000 is a good cut-off point for "age".

The 90s struck me as primarily shareware period and most of the stuff from then is now well-represented by abandonware sites, so no need to categorize this stuff.

increpare
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2008, 10:20:40 PM »

We need a "forgot where the 'forgot my password' button is" button!
I posted something similar to this somewhere else on this thread before...would like to second it now that it's come up again...
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »

There is something that's been bothering me for a while about the recommendations in each game. Most games have absurd recommendations, and most include Cave Story, Flywrench or Knytt Stories. For Example:

Aquaria, also try Flywrench.
Sexy Hiking, also try Cave Story, Iji.

Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »

There is something that's been bothering me for a while about the recommendations in each game. Most games have absurd recommendations, and most include Cave Story, Flywrench or Knytt Stories. For Example:

Aquaria, also try Flywrench.
Sexy Hiking, also try Cave Story, Iji.

Yeah, I noticed that too, the list of suggestions is pretty limited. I think in order for an automated "also try" system to work though, we'd need to kind of take a sort last.fm style approach, where people have a library of games they've played (and enjoyed) and the site uses the user information to come up with a better list of recommendations.

That'd actually be pretty cool, if TIGdb would tell you what games you should play based on what you've already completed. It'd keep you eager to try other, less popular (but nifty), indie game titles.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:50:34 PM by Overkill » Logged

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2008, 02:52:52 AM »

Two words:

FUTURE. FANTASY.

@doomlaser, mark johns
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2008, 08:15:01 AM »

Two words:

FUTURE. FANTASY.
HELL. YES.

That or present fantasy, not many of those.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Radiant
Level 1

...and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »

1. Really old ass games.
Yes, I would, although I do believe HOTU has many of those covered.

2. Really old ass games for outdated platforms that are hard/impossible to play on a PC/Mac without an emulator.
Personally, I'm not all that interested. But perhaps I've just seen a few too many rom hacks.

3. Really old ass games made by one or two people, but got picked up by a big publisher?
Yes, just like 1. I'm not sure how "indie" Apogee's or Epic's shareware is, but there are numerous old games that really were solo work (Alley Cat is a good example) and just happened to be noticed.

4. Notable casual games.  Yes, I am thinking of PopCap and similar companies.
Imho, no - these are plenty well covered on at least a dozen other websites. It's a completely different target audience.

And a random idea that I had... I'm thinking that perhaps you get several submissions to the database per day, and have a long list of "games to look at" that keeps growing. If this is the case, maybe logged-in users should be able to see this list, and give a simple yes/no recommendation for them? That way, the people who add the games to the database could have a more manageable list of which games are popular enough to look at first.

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2009, 06:52:09 AM »

I'd like a way to see how many submitted games are waiting in the wings, so you'd know if your own submissions were rejected or if they were just at the end of a really long line to be sorted out.

/hint hint

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
increpare
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »

We need a "forgot where the 'forgot my password' button is" button!
I posted something similar to this somewhere else on this thread before...would like to second it now that it's come up again...
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2009, 08:22:35 AM »

Hmmm... And maybe a meter that determines just how "hand-crafted" a game has to be in order to get hand-picked / big snub.  Beer!

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Radiant
Level 1

...and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2009, 09:01:18 AM »

I'd like to have a button that selects a "random game I haven't rated yet", to find new games I don't know yet.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2009, 07:49:53 PM »

I don't think the 'Are we wrong?' button works correctly. I sent a message that the link to Viking Bazooka Bloodbath needed fixed (the new address is http://willhostforfood.com/files3/6661032/vbb_reloaded.zip), but nothing has happened.

xkfm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2009, 10:14:13 PM »

Hey guys, it's me Timothy Fitz (I help make TIGdb run!)

You're right about the recommendations, the logic is too simple right now. It's just the top rated games in the same category, and the categories are too loose. We need rewrite it to show games that are highly rated and contain similar tags.

As for the "Are we wrong?" dialog, it totally works. And unfortunately, we're totally wrong a lot. The two things we see a lot of are "these recommendations suck" and "these links are broken". Broken links suck. We hate them. But we can't actually control them, and sometimes games disappear and are almost impossible to find. Our answer is to start actually hosting games! We're still working on the infrastructure (and figuring out the process for when we'll host versus when we'll link; we don't want to mirror games people don't want hosted) but hopefully it'll be up and running soon!
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »

Hey guys, it's me Timothy Fitz (I help make TIGdb run!)

You're right about the recommendations, the logic is too simple right now. It's just the top rated games in the same category, and the categories are too loose. We need rewrite it to show games that are highly rated and contain similar tags.

As for the "Are we wrong?" dialog, it totally works. And unfortunately, we're totally wrong a lot. The two things we see a lot of are "these recommendations suck" and "these links are broken". Broken links suck. We hate them. But we can't actually control them, and sometimes games disappear and are almost impossible to find. Our answer is to start actually hosting games! We're still working on the infrastructure (and figuring out the process for when we'll host versus when we'll link; we don't want to mirror games people don't want hosted) but hopefully it'll be up and running soon!
why do people dont want that their freeware games arent hosted elsewhere??

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »

Man, I can barely follow that sentence. Are you saying "Why wouldn't people want their freeware games mirrored?"

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2009, 02:45:16 AM »

Man, I can barely follow that sentence. Are you saying "Why wouldn't people want their freeware games mirrored?"
exactly...that's what i was trying to say.  Wink

hmm you're right this sentence seems to be a little messed up. grammatically not a very fine sentence Embarrassed  Durr...?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:49:48 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
AxelTheAs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2009, 08:45:07 AM »

Can I recommend my game here too ? It's this one : Dragon and Weed: Black Ghost OPS

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »

I'm posting here because no one has responded to my 'Are we wrong?' messages.

The download link for Viking Bazooka Bloodbath is broken. The correct address should be http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/33776 . It should be easy to fix, and I'd like people interested in the game to be able to find it.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2009, 10:52:38 AM »

yeah, nobody ever pays attention to those 'are we wrong' messages in my experience. things i reported like a year ago are still there.

progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2009, 11:22:32 AM »

At least we have them and we can correct them when we have the resources.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic