Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 05:51:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingalien game demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: alien game demo  (Read 9301 times)
tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »

download

hi this is a somewhat buggy game that me and my friend (snowk) have been working on for quite a long time (for like 3 years thusfar). anyway this is a demo since we sort of lost inspiration at the moment. the level music is by feryl, the other music is from modarchive. enjoy i spose, see what you think?

this version of the game includes:
-the first world (7 levels plus a bonus level)
-a shop
-a miniboss and a boss
-other things
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:48:46 PM by Tipp » Logged

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »

well for starters I think that you aren't going to get very many downloads without screen shots.

Catman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:36:55 AM »

This game is fun! I like the different makeshift weapons, adds variety to the mix. I really like the graphics too.

The only thing I didn't like was the white circle effect when abducting something, it looked as if it is in front of the ufo!

I played the first three levels, planning to finish the demo after work.

Good job anyway, you plan to add more? Smiley
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »

I thought it was pretty good so far! I really liked the graphics too. I got about as far as the store and I had a couple thoughts:

-It's hard to determine what is in the background and what can be collided with. I didn't know I could crash into trees at first (even though it was said in the text), since they don't pop out enough from the background. Even once I knew, I occasionally forgot and crashed into them again because they did not seem to 'pop-out' like an obstacle. I had a similar probably with the balloons.

-I liked how the hud faded a bit when you moved over top, but the text didn't fade when I flew over the top and got in the way.

-I didn't like how I couldn't tell what I was buying at the store until it was already bought. Also, it seemed like the first slot at the store didn't even have any items.

-I liked how some of the different things you can abduct change the way you can shoot. I wished there was more of that though, the only one I could really tell was different was the corn.

Overall it was pretty fun! If I get a chance to play any farther, I'll post some more feedback. Good job!  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

dense1
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »

-It's hard to determine what is in the background and what can be collided with. I didn't know I could crash into trees at first (even though it was said in the text), since they don't pop out enough from the background.

I died so many times from those trees  Cry

Anyway, awesome game! Hoping to see more!  Smiley
zeehu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:43:15 PM »

Definitely work on a better screen shot.  That is the first thing customers will see and you only get about a 2 second window to attract them so make it stand out with some attention grabbing images.
tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »

thank you i am pleased that you seem to enjoy the game. yeah about the trees, most people who we've shown it to got crushed by them, so something will definately be done about those.

@handcraftedradio: your suggestions are all very valid and i agree completely. the reason for no first spot in the shop was because i hadn't gotten to adding anything there at the moment.

Thijmen Bink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 01:23:14 AM »

It's defenitely a fun concept, with an appealing art style. As mentioned, the trees can be a bit hard to make out at times.

Because you can't see what you're buying at the shop, and only see the shop's inventory after a few levels, I find myself neglecting the coins because it mostly leads to death (partly to me failing I guess), and concentrating on the road ahead. I bought the cow skin, and if the rest of the items are only graphical in nature too, then this is a good reward for players who put in the extra effort. But, if the things you buy are going to give gameplay advantages, you might want to make getting coins without dying a little easier.

I also ran into a bug where I had a full bar of ammo and 2 more ammo icons were floating beneath the centre of the ammo bar. Those wouldn't dissappear when I was shooting either. Possibly happened when multiple ammo object were beamed into me at the same time, but I'm not sure.

Lastly, I would suggest paying a little more attention to menu/GUI things. It's hard to make out 'menu, back or stats, etc' buttons atm from the rest of the screen atm, even though they are as big as they are now, they just blend in too much with the rest of the GUI.

Keep at it!

Aspiring to inspire
Co-Founder of Digital Dreams
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic