Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:04:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPanacea - an alchemy/farming/defense roguelike
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Panacea - an alchemy/farming/defense roguelike  (Read 27394 times)
Marc Wilhelm
Level 0

I make a variety of games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »

Looks very good. Love love love the retro stuff!

“Failure isn’t a necessary evil. In fact, it isn’t evil at all. It is a necessary consequence of doing something new.”
― Ed Catmull, Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »

The more I stare at it, the more it looks like a melting ice cream cone rather than a floating island.

I need more beer.
VirusN
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2012, 07:07:44 AM »

I got too excited about this and somehow ended up playing Harvest Moon. Durr...?
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2012, 12:09:06 PM »

Since creatures are chemistry, a kind of alchemy can be applied to them. Alchemy in Panacea being a man-made set of abstractions for chemical processes - much like what programming languages are to machine code. In fact, learning to see beyond alchemy and getting in touch with the "low level" is an integral part of the plot.

/-3.9(?0+2|1*2)
/-3.9(>-2.-1)
/-3.9(/.2/.4)
/.2-3/.4
/.-1/.4
/.4

That's what a simple (Evil) attack might look like. The syntax isn't set in stone, as I'll likely end up using words rather than symbols, but for now let's just take apart what's there. It's confusing and I love it that way.

/-3.9(?0+2|1*2)
/-3.9 is the "output" or "return value" of a potion, being applied to the contents of the parenthesis. The / always refers to body chemistry, namely health. The -3 measures the numeric effect (negative values for damage, of course) and the 9 after the period is the index of the targeted value. Additionally, there may be special effects, but this one's a basic damage potion with just those two parameters.

And what's in the parenthesis? The question mark is a sign of user input, followed by the user's active movement pattern. That input must be processed before the potion can be applied, and the "return value" of the movement pattern is some position. The notation 2|1 describes the movement of a chess knight, with the addition of a zero allowing you to stand still, or to target yourself. *2 marks the depth, meaning you're able to target any of the tiles a knight could reach in 2 moves.

(As you might start to smell at this point, I'm looking into tactical combat. It leads to pretty geometric patterns, suits the intended pacing and character of combat, and even makes sense in the context of a plot event about consciousness transfers.)

/-3.9(>-2.-1)
So, okay. The user prepares to throw a potion 2 tiles to the left and 1 up. If there's a creature there, we should get some of its data. Otherwise 0 is returned and the potion is wasted on an empty tile.

/-3.9(/.2/.4)
A /. is a basic type of health container, and the number after that measures its content. Once all containers reach 0, the creature dies. In line with my philosophy of "no cannon fodder enemies", one-hit kills require talent and typically some kind of combo effects.

9 was the index value, but it overflows with a 6-character string. In the case of the health data, we simply roll over, and there doesn't even seem to be side effects in this case. We hit the number 2 in the first container and thus are able to decrement it. Any non-number would mean missing the shot.

This is one of the interesting quirks of the system. The strongest potion isn't always the best since there are other factors to consider, like indexes and special effects. And that's just what I like to see.

Because the forward slash explicitly defines the used potion to affect health, you only receive the string of health data from the target. Otherwise you would receive all of its accessible data (movement patterns, current potion effects...) in return and be able to manipulate those.

It's all arithmetic from here.
/.2-3/.4
/.-1/.4
/.4

The first container evaluates to -1 and disappears. With special containers representing body parts, this could alter attributes like the movement string, rewarding you for destroying the containers in a certain order. And inversely, destroying a container too early might have unpleasant side effects like making the creature go berserk.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2012, 03:34:16 AM »

I still have ideas for "concept caverns" that would take full advantage of 3D spaces, but I'm back to the drawing board with the projection. Seems pretty confusing even with the raycasting effect disabled. (The first screen is recorded from above, the other two from the sides.)
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »

yeah i'm super confused. and then not. and then confused again. and then "Oh I see! it's- no. I don't know what's going on."

But its a cool idea. mayhaps you can get something cool out of it.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »

Heh cool. I'm fine with using just the top-down view, I think it's fairly clear how deep drops are.

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »

Your home, let's call it Genesis, is featured in the optional prologue. The prologue is a flashback to the day preceding the annihilation of everyone in Genesis, except for the narrator.

Genesis is a small flat disc floating in space. Its inhabitants are in daily contact with God using Glossolalia, a visual language. Because of this concrete relationship with a higher power, religion with its rituals defines life in Genesis. For example, the inhabitants aren't allowed to go near the borders of the world, nor the holy mountain casting its shadow over the village.

The day before the incident, a mischievous boy was about to embark on his Glossolalia training with the neurotic priest of Genesis. Without Glossolalia, the boy had never directly contacted God, and found the whole issue hard to believe despite its major impact on life. He ended up saying things considered blasphemous, yet strangely beyond his years.

There are four possible "short stories" emerging from this setting based on your choices. Your choice of route decides the CLASSIFIED (more on that later). I guess you could call it a multiple choice past, heh - not so unusual in the style of storytelling I'm currently exploring.

• The banishment route. It involves going with them and witnessing the boy talking about natural explanations for the supernatural. The priest gets mad, and as the narrator sides with the priest, the boy gets thrown off Genesis into the void. The day after, the narrator discovers he's the only person alive in Genesis, and deduces it's God's revenge for the boy's actions. With God not responding to his questions anymore, he enters the holy mountain seeking forgiveness.
  • The spiritual route. The narrator never even checks they boy's training and spends the day talking to God instead. The next morning, he blames the deaths on an external influence, and from the silence, the narrator believes God has somehow been killed too. Leaving on a desperate revenge mission against someone powerful enough to kill a god, he finds a scapegoat in the guardian of the holy mountain and takes it up with him.
  • The observer route, in which the narrator explores Genesis and socializes with various peculiar people. This is for slightly experienced players who are already able to control the moving bridge of Genesis. (In the banishment route, the bridge is used to teach the boy about Glossolalia, and it's also implicitly a tutorial for new players because what's called Glossolalia in Genesis is actually a type of alchemy - similar to what's demonstrated in the previous page). The narrator is left feeling lonely in the exctinction and goes to seek company from the creatures in the holy mountain.
  • The dead bird route. Again control of the bridge is required, as well as discovering a configuration that reveals a dead bird underneath. The dead bird makes the narrator ponder on nature and its relationship with God, making him sympathize with the boy during the training and saving him from banishment. Once everybody dies, the narrator finds it most logical to blame himself, especially as he's the only one alive, and withdraws into the holy mountain.

The revelation after traversing the holy mountain shakes the narrator's worldview and makes it clear to the player that things in Panacea are hardly ever what they seem to be. I'm not quite sure if the upcoming demo should end there, because the holy mountain doesn't even demonstrate farming (apart from special circumstances), there's only pre-made draughts picked up from fountains with your limited flasks.
Savick
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »

Sounds okay as a concept, but I want to have sentient fungal followers/party members that you can alter with your potions and make into even weirder abominations of nature to do your bidding. Like say you give life through a potion to a oak tree stump outside the village and it uproots and follows you around obeying your commands. Now take that wooden base and add an "attack/growth" potion to the oak stump. It now becomes a Wood Golem of sorts with upgraded size of a and some kind of branch attacks that do chemical damage or something else.

Or maybe you could brew a potion to charm enemies then alter their genetic make-ups with potions you brew.

Just throwin' ideas out here.
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »

is this a dead topic?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic