Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:48:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlitz Meet [fin]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Blitz Meet [fin]  (Read 27309 times)
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »

Since the beginning of October I've been thinking of a fun multiplayer game for my roommates and I. I've already got them addicted to Super Crate Box haha. This is what I came up with:

synopsis
Strike the metal ball at your opponent's wooden door to free the monster behind it; turning him into finger-food instantly. Use the powers from the pedestal like ember rain, phantom split, the slip, and the CHAIN ARM to aid you in this battle to the death.

The Slip

Chain Arm

LINKS TO UPDATES

October 26th 2011

October 29th 2011

November 5th 2011

November 16th 2011

December 1st 2011

December 26th 2011

January 2nd 2012 - First beta released

January 8th 2012 - Second beta released

January 10th 2012

January 15th 2012

January 18th 2012

January 24th 2012

January 28th 2012

A few inspirations
-Pong
-Smash Bros.
-Super Crate Box
-Mario Tennis
-Legend Of Princess
-Wario

I'll update this at least once a week and post screens and whatever on Twitter @SeasonsDev as I go as well.

I'm creating this with Gamemaker 8.1 using Matt Thorson's Grandma Engine and Arne's generic 16 color palette for the art. Windows only unless there is some way to port GM games to mac? It will be freeware when it's complete.

Thanks for taking a look at my first devlog   Beer!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:14:25 AM by Seasons » Logged

Linx
Level 0

I like Cookies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:29:14 PM »

I love the simplicity of the pixel art, it looks so lovely  Kiss

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:52:04 PM »

Nice & simple, so far. I like the shiny pixelart.
Is it made with GameMaker?

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »

@Linx & astrofra - Thanks guys. It seems like every art asset I make starts out complicated and I have to go back and prune it to make it more simple. I'm learning that less is more in most cases. And yes this is being made in Gamemaker 8.1

So today I was working on the art for the doors that hold the monsters back and got a chance to play the game with my buddy.

He had never tried it and I was stoked when he was able to jump around and smack the ball with ease within a couple minutes. One of these nights I'll hook up a mic and record my roommates playing against eachother. That will be ridiculous  Cheesy

Also, I implemented surfaces to draw the screen so the pixels in-game are nice and crispy.

Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »

nice character. he looks a bit like the restaurant owner near my place  Well, hello there!
Ashkin
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:04:52 AM »

Pong, but with knights? This looks like it could be fun!
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:56:31 PM »

@Virion-Oh man, take a picture with him haha
@Ashkin-Yeah good ol' pong with some platforming

Today's progress-

-implemented the easy lighting extension (as seen in Gabriel Verdon's "The Archer")
-got basic torch/ball/player lights working
-did some work on the tile set
-made some placeholder background bricks to see how the light looked on them

Here's a screen and video. Please excuse the horrible video quality.

The pit in the center is going to have some nice flames/particle effects. The idea is that if you try to cross onto the other player's side, a pillar of flame will shoot up damaging you and knocking you backwards. If you happen to hit the ball in the pit, embers will shoot out and fly towards your opponent. The embers will do a small amount of damage.

There will be two ways to die:
-Getting eaten by the monster behind your door if it breaks
-Getting hit by the spiked ball or the embers enough times

I was thinking about recycling this old monster sprite I made as one of the captive monsters. That's a 64x64 sprite so it will look massive in this game  Wink

Right now I'm just getting the core game done and basic art assets, then I'll add different characters/weapons/etc. Those chandeliers/anchors will be suspended from ropes and hopefully swing a bit!

namragog
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 02:59:36 PM »

YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THE LIGHTS TOO??!??!!?

I must be an idiot  Sad
grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »

Neat idea. Looking forward to a playable build!

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 03:23:38 PM »

I've gotten a lot done this week  Smiley

-Lighting system finished
-Pretty torches
-Destroyable doors
-Event system is done. The players are lowered in on the platforms, there is a delay for the player character's intro animation, then a ball is spawned in the arena.
-If you hit the ball into the center pit, embers will shoot out and rain down on your opponent!

-Did a mockup of one of the monsters that will be trapped behind the doors

-If you try to cross over onto your opponent's side, you are bounced back by a force field with some lighting and particle effects.

Things I want to start this coming week:

-Animate the monster and get the game over event going when you destroy your opponent's wall.
-Sound fx
-Music
-Other character concepts
-Weapon concepts
-Background art

@grayfox88 - I hope to have something playable by mid november for everyone. Hopefully finish this by 2012.

Thanks for dropping in doodes.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »

Looks cool! I'm glad to see another single-keyboard multiplayer game, I never seem to have enough of them around when I need to. Good luck Wink

Ashkin
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 03:56:47 PM »

Great to see progress on this! I love that monster.
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »

-Toned down the lighting effect. Everything was just looking kind of dreary.
-Added custom control scheme variables. Has anyone else noticed that with gamemaker, if you hold down to many keys, some keys don't work?
-Added the first power-up

Flying Boots! They enable you zoom around the arena much faster for a short period of time. You cannot charge your sword attack while flying. The grandma engine is so versatile. These were very easy to add.

-Drew some background art assets

-Wip animations for the monster in my previous post.

-Added an "Ember" pick-up that shoots embers at your enemy. If you are hit with an ember you will be stunned for a short period of time.

I want to add some temporary weapon power-ups like a pike with super long reach or a hammer that can knock your opponents off their platforms when you strike the ground.

I'm shooting for weekly updates with this devlog so I can have some meaty posts. Thanks for checking out the game guys!

ink.inc
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that with gamemaker, if you hold down to many keys, some keys don't work?

This isn't GM's fault. It's a problem with your keyboard. Well, not a problem, per se, but a limitation.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:59:57 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 08:58:33 PM »

Bummer... There will be gamepad support so if you want to play with a friend at least one is recommended. Is there some way around this?

ink.inc
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »

Nope.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »

Unless you buy a gamer keyboard.

But usually... using the multiple people on one keyboard is usually ok. I'm thinking about das uberlung or whatever the heck that skydiving game is named.

It works fine when I have four people or more on one keyboard... You're usually pushing buttons often enough to hardly notice when a few pushes don't register.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 01:41:38 AM »

if you're using a USB keyboard and have a USB to PS/2 adapter handy, try that, some keyboards have different n key rollover behavior depending on how they are connected.

I like the concept & style of this, reminds me of fun things like joust or mario bross

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 02:55:52 AM »

Just realised I've missed some of your latest posts and have to say I really like the work you've been doing. Can't wait to see all the new editions of power-ups and such, in a video. Also liking the monster animation.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 03:25:00 AM »

I like this one, well done so far. Smiley

Wish I had an easy lighting extension... Gotta figure that out by myself.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic