Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1059495 Posts in 43084 Topics- by 35042 Members - Latest Member: Xshining

November 01, 2014, 02:21:47 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeBest tool/language for a point and click game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best tool/language for a point and click game?  (Read 1669 times)
etcetera
Level 0

View Profile Email
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »

What should I use to code a point and click game I want to make? I'm thinking actionscript 3 so users can play it in browser, but I don't really know... Are any languages particularly friendly towards point and click development ?
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »

From what I've heard, Adventure Game Studio is a perfect tool specifically designed for point and click adventure games.

Its been used to develop 5 Days a Stranger, 6 Days a Sacrifice, 7 Days a Skeptic, Gemini Rue, and many, many more. You can check it out here : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

However, if you're looking for a specific language to learn for point and click style games, any will do, assuming you know what you're doing.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

The perfect farmer's tan.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:56:02 AM »

AGS is pretty decked-out for the job. Although it's a little limited if you're looking to do anything really fancy because it lacks some key programming abilities.

hi
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »

The problem with AS3 is that there are no default built-in tools for this sort of thing. There's no doubt in my mind that you could produce a point-and-click game in AS3, it is certainly capable of that. It's just that there hasn't been nearly as much interest in this area, so there aren't really any game engines designed for this in AS3. My first thought would be to check out Flash Punk, that would probably be the best starting point for developing a game like this in AS3. Flixel is a good engine, but it isn't as flexible, and isn't really designed with point-and-click games in mind. Flash Punk would probably be easier to adapt to this genre.

Adventure Game Studio is the most traditional option. It is a little more limited in its programming, but it will let you produce point-and-click games in the most traditional sense possible.
Dr.Electro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »

just build the framework with logic you need in as3. you don't want to give up the benefits of a highly available browserplugin.
think of how machinarium became such a hit.. samorost made it possible!

RunicRampage at facebook
kamac
Level 10

Notorious posts editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »

Do you mean drag&drop, instead of point&click?

It could be MMF2, which can build it's games for browser (in java), mobile phones, PC...

But costs loads.

So you might aswell want Game Maker... Or stencyl!

Nothing to do here
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic