Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:36:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHungry Forest (tiny RTS)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hungry Forest (tiny RTS)  (Read 11286 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »

WHAT:
A small realtime strategy game about balancing the growth of a forest as it attempts to remove humans from the world. Originally started for the Super Friendship Club JUSTICE pageant.

The player will control the forest by deciding what to develop next: trees, caves, or marshes. Trees allow for more mana and have some static defense (tree sprites). They also allow for a temporary manifestation as the forest god. Caves come with animals, which are more dangerous to humans, but also not as reliable (the herbivores graze and hibernate, and the carnivores eat the herbivores / each other if no humans are around). Marshes grow fungi which attract, repel, or infect humans (by implanting spores which erupt when they go back to their houses).

Right now the trees are mostly done, along with the basic human behaviors and the level generation. There are baby herbivores, who eventually disappear when they hibernate. There is a win / loss condition. To do:

- the human king, and his upgrades
- human hunters
- human zealots
- mountains
- adult herbivores / animal attacks
- carnivores
- mushrooms
- the forest god

Along with:

- the story screen
- the high scores screen
- win / loss screens
- "panic" mode (endless? we'll see)

|
Conker534
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:50:36 PM »

I'm interested
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »

I like the graphical style, and the game sounds intriguing! Smiley
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:26:32 PM »

This is a great concept and I really like the pixels Beer!

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »

Thanks for looking, everyone!

Today I worked a bit on the King's AI (added a routine for finding a new building spot for his secret research lab) and sprited the three manifestations of the forest god:

(shown 4x)

The manifestations are a smartbomb of sorts; once a grove is of a certain size, it can be converted to a shrine to the forest god. Depending on the type of tile at the center of the shrine (forest, cave, marsh), a different manifestation is chosen. The manifestation uses mana until there isn't any left, and then dies spectacularly.

The forest manifestation will produce a new grove; the animal manifestation will curse the spot where it dies (causing humans to fight each other); the mushroom manifestation will infect all surrounding humans, making them carry spores back to their town (which produce more marshes).

Next: implementation.

|
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:04:27 PM »

I am not sure if that gif is animating correctly...

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »

They're just two-frame animations. They are a bit derpy; I'll add more frames later if I need them.

|
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:20:17 AM »

This sounds like a really fresh take on a strategy genre, sortof an ecology simulator with touches of Populous.  Post up more art!   Smiley

Mef
Level 0

8 bit massacre!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 12:51:17 AM »

Seeing the apparent NES style, maybe You might use some of those sprites for hummies and animals:

Been making them for a NES-esque tileset but kinda dropped the ball in the end.
If any of those prove usefull, it'll be my pleasure.

"Stand rigid for the next battle
Peace means reloading your guns
The love for life is all hatred in disguise
A carnival creation with masks undone"
Ashkin
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 02:07:57 AM »

Seeing the apparent NES style, maybe You might use some of those sprites for hummies and animals:

Been making them for a NES-esque tileset but kinda dropped the ball in the end.
If any of those prove usefull, it'll be my pleasure.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8970.0
Mef
Level 0

8 bit massacre!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 02:11:56 AM »

Yes, I know there's a lot of look-alike here, but as You can see the palette is way different (only 3 colours per sprite plus transparent) and I drew all mine from scratch.
Notice how poses and many other details don't match. The reason why they are simmilar is because there isn't many possible shapes in 8x8 grid which resemble somewhat-sane humane/animals'/monsters' proportions.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 02:18:33 AM »

I saw this on superfriendshipclubbbbbb and I love it.
Ashkin
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 02:28:01 AM »

Yes, I know there's a lot of look-alike here, but as You can see the palette is way different (only 3 colours per sprite plus transparent) and I drew all mine from scratch.
Notice how poses and many other details don't match. The reason why they are simmilar is because there isn't many possible shapes in 8x8 grid which resemble somewhat-sane humane/animals'/monsters' proportions.
Sorry, I wasn't implying they looked alike or anything. I thought you just might be interested in Oryx's tileset, assuming you hadn't heard of it. Excuse the misunderstanding.
I saw this on superfriendshipclubbbbbb and I love it.
^that.
Mef
Level 0

8 bit massacre!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 02:50:42 AM »

I was kinda hasty on the reply myself.
Anyways, Oryx's work is great but those sprites make extensive use of large palette and would look like crap when downgraded to 3 colours, so no use for me sadly.

As for the Hungry Forest - it looks great but I suck at it bigtime. Some trouble with controlls (having to click at empty space most of the time to be able to select a tree later) only adds insult to injury.

Any good starting strategies?

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 03:02:49 AM »

Oh dude! This is pretty hot. I mean, it's obviously not finished, but already a solid idea. Fun to play, too.

Gunna keep an eye on this.  Beer!
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »

Thanks for playing, everyone! I want to keep the unit list very small to keep balance and redundancy issues to a minimum, but I love all these tiny animals. I'm excited to add the forest god to the mix, which is my next milestone for the game (otherwise I could tweak the human behavior forever). I took a break from this for awhile to work on my entry for the EDITOR pageant; after report cards are done, I'll be working in earnest.

|
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 12:26:20 AM »

i like the graphical style, color choices and basic idea of this a lot. Some of the sprites seem a bit hard to read... but perhaps it's better in context.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »

Hope to see more cool graphics here soon.. Grin
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »

Hope to see more cool graphics here soon.. Grin

Coincidence! I'm just wrapping up another project, and then I'll be working on this in earnest; maybe I'll post some of the gods' death animations soon.

|
CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic