Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 05:17:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeTIGsource Advent Calendar
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: TIGsource Advent Calendar  (Read 42466 times)
Theophilus
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:28:37 PM »

This Christmas, I would like to start a new tradition with you guys. The annual advent calendar.

Here's the idea. You graciously dedicate 1 day, from December 1st to December 24th and make a game in a few hours. I will post these games on the Tumblr page (will be published soon) and, hopefully, people will play them, counting down the days until Christmas.

Questions

How do I sign up?
-Simple. Just post in this thread saying you would like to make a game, along with the desired day. Make sure that the day is available though. You can check here in this first post.

Can I think of ideas before my assigned day?
-Yes, and this is encouraged. Rapid development is at it's best when you have a clear vision in mind. Keep in mind that you must develop it in a day.

What if I get a Monday, and I have work?
-No problem. Make your game a day of your choosing. However, it will be submitted on your chosen day. This might be desirable, in fact, so that you may fix bugs or tweak things.

Why don't I just make my game now then?
-That's not really in the yuletide spirit, yo. This event is meant to be a collection of small games - nothing is expected to be super polished.

What tool should I use, any limitations?
-Ideally, it would be web-playable (Flash, unity). If this is not a possibility, please at least make the game available on Windows (Sorry mac and linux users). Try to use a tool you're comfortable with: The last thing you want is to be wasting time fiddling with new libraries and such.

Any particular themes?
-Ah, I'm glad I asked myself this. Please make your games with a winter or Christmas theme. You may also want to use your date in the game, for instance, saying "11 days until Christmas". That's in the spirit of Christmas, dawg.

Does it have to look great?
-NO. This is meant to be a jam. Take a few hours to make your game. That said, try to put some spin on it to make it look nice. Even if you can't be bothered to spend 16 hours making pixel art, try to choose a consistent art style when it's all said and done. Don't pressure yourself, bro. Just do it.

I would love to do this, but I'm nervous about rapid development.

There are a lot of excellent resources for rapid development.

cactus' GDC talks on rapid development:

ludum dare guidelines, which cross-over: http://sol.gfxile.net/ldsurvival.html

You missed *some deal I forgot about*
-Bring it up in the thread.

Available Days:
Dates in December. That is, 1 is December 1st, and 4 is December 4th, and 14 is December 14th. There will be two or more people for each day, depending on how much popularity this gets.

1. J. R. Hill
2. John Sandoval/blademasterbobo, dustin
3. Conker
4. Geeze, Sos
5. Theophilus, SlowXM
6. SundownKid
7. Ghost
8. Ashkin, TobiasW
9. J. R. Hill
10. Sakar, gecko
11. C.D Buckmaster
12. peanutbuttershoes
13. Wade McGillis, Blodyavenger
14. XRA
15. J.R. Hill
16. eigenbom, Bishop
17. Painting
18. Manuel Magalhães
19. Jakman2424, Randomasta
20. Bood_War
21. ColossalCake
22. Noah!
23. Evan Balster
24. jotapeh

HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR GAME
To submit your game, simply post a download link in the thread, along with some screenshots. Also, say what day you were. No fancy forms to fill out. Seriously, I'm a human. I'm smart.

I will cross-post your game to the Tumblr page:

http://tigsadvent.tumblr.com/

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:55:46 PM by Theophilus » Logged
Ashkin
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »

Oh man, I would be so in on this if I didn't suck at rapid/all development. G'luck guys, can't wait to see what you come up with! Also Theo, this is a great idea.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:42:23 PM »

I'll start. The 15th 16th please.. Smiley

Theophilus
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:44:02 PM »

I'll start. The 15th 16th please.. Smiley

Done.

I have taken the 5th.
wademcgillis
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »

Sad I was going to start making a game in a month starting on the 18th. It would be Christmas themed or something. Or maybe I'll do this.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »

Whoops, just realised LD is on the 17th. Gunna be a busy couple of days for me! Grin

Theophilus
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:49:28 PM »

Whoops, just realised LD is on the 17th. Gunna be a busy couple of days for me! Grin

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I forgot about Ludum Dare. Hopefully we'll have some solid bros who aren't entering.

Sad I was going to start making a game in a month starting on the 18th. It would be Christmas themed or something. Or maybe I'll do this.

Hint: do this
Sakar
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »

Sign me up for the 10th
Ashkin
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »

Maybe, MAYBE, if there is absolutely NOBODY ELSE to do it, I will do number eight and make an awful game.
About the couple hours idea, how loose is it? I mean, should it be strictly within that time-frame, or can we meander over the whole day if the game needs a little polishing? I mean, the only real point of a time frame like that is that people keep their games within reasonable scope, right?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »

do it ashkin. everybody's in the same boat, more or less. i've never made a game in a couple of hours, my quickest was a week (for pyweek), but i'm looking forward to a challenge!

Theophilus
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 09:01:53 PM »

Sakar: Done.

Ashkin: I guess I'll postpone putting you down then, for now at least. You can meander over the whole day or even a weekend. Don't take this too seriously.

Those who are nervous or unsure about rapid development: There are a lot of excellent resources for rapid development.

cactus' GDC talks on rapid development:

ludum dare guidelines, which cross-over: http://sol.gfxile.net/ldsurvival.html

RCIX
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »

If I can, I'll do one for, oh, the 9th. Not 100% sure I'll have time then, but if I'm busy then I'll let you guys know. Might wanna line up a backup for that date just in case ^^
Theophilus
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:33:53 PM »

Alright, you've been added RCIX.
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »

I'll do the 4th. I have a good idea already  Wizard

Dangerous_Dave
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 11:13:59 PM »

I love the idea, but my December is packed! I'll check back in a couple of weeks, if there's still spaces free I'll try to fit some time in :D
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 11:41:20 PM »

ooo sounds fun, and I have a new flash engine I want to test and I think I have an interesting idea.

I'd like a position near the beginning of December like 1st-4th somewhere in there although the actual date doesn't matter to me.
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »

I would love to do this, but damn...i really suck on rapid development...

I'll practice until November ends and if some days are available and i'm still interested, i'll take one.

Theophilus
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:07 AM »

Geeze: Added.

Dangerous_Dave: Hope you can participate!

dustin: I've added you on the 2nd.

Shackhal: Practice practice practice!
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 11:46:26 AM »

I'd love to do this, can I have a laterish date? Like the seventeenth or twentieth or something.
wademcgillis
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »

I don't care what day. Just give me one that isn't a Sunday because those are usually packed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic