Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:15:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrawle
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Crawle  (Read 22349 times)
Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 04:49:34 PM »

Sorry I haven't been updating this thread a lot recently. I'm currently working on the first full beta release for Crawle which is a lot of work at the moment.

Recently I've been working on two things. One is more finished than the other.

The first is ranged combat. This is simply using a bow to fire an arrow, simple enough. What I've also done is reworked the combat system to allow for attack charging:

And here are some arrows fired at different numbers of charged seconds:

The other thing I've been working on is building. We have a pretty simplistic system right now which is still going through tweaks here and there but here's an image of landmarking:

Basically landmarking allows you to see if you can build in that specific location and whereabouts your building is going to be.

There's also a new Dev Log on the old version of ranged combat (before the charging) and multiplayer here:

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »

Crawle is almost ready for release! I've put together this little FAQ type post for any questions people might have:

http://sleepystudios.com/showthread.php?tid=635

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »

Launch is getting pretty close, here's a trailer to celebrate!

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »

Crawle has finally been released! You can pay whatever you want for the game, with a $1 minimum.

Crawle is a sandbox dungeon crawler with a focus on realistic survival using mechanics such as hunger, thirst, diseases and wilderness survival such as creating your own tools, skinning animals for meat and fur and using the resources around you to stay alive. The game is currently in beta meaning that the game is very subject to change in the next few months before full release.

clard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 07:46:04 AM »

This is looking great!  My main problem so far is that I have gotten my character physically stuck a number of times.  Once, in a dungeon, I descended to the next level of the dungeon and was placed inside a solid block area.  Another time, I can out of a dungeon, and the hole was placed almost directly under a couple of trees so I got stuck between the two.

I will really enjoy this game once I no longer get stuck so frequently.  Good luck!
Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »

This is looking great!  My main problem so far is that I have gotten my character physically stuck a number of times.  Once, in a dungeon, I descended to the next level of the dungeon and was placed inside a solid block area.  Another time, I can out of a dungeon, and the hole was placed almost directly under a couple of trees so I got stuck between the two.

I will really enjoy this game once I no longer get stuck so frequently.  Good luck!

Hey, yeah I've just fixed all those bugs for the next patch.

clard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 11:20:07 AM »

Great, thanks for your quick response!
Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »

Hello all! This patch finally brings some new content to the game and quite a few requested changes. It also makes some massive changes to the backend of the game. This means that you will require a new world. I realise how much of an idiot I sound considering I said that 0.5.3 would fix this - it didn't, I'll admit that, but this does.

Changelog:
---------------
0.5.3 --> 0.5.4
---------------

# ADDITIONS
- Added proper villages! Villagers will now live together in huts.
- Updated the villager textures.
- Added a fourth Device option: pure. Try it if the others don't work.
- Tree bark can now be taken from trees.
- Baskets can now be crafted using tree bark.
- Baskets can now be placed by dropping them.
- Baskets can now be picked up by emptying them and walking over them.
- You can now make huts (temporarily the only thing you can make in place of houses).

# CHANGES
- Branches are now dropped around trees when they are cut down.
- Modified the trade window graphic slightly.
- Modified the "You Died" graphic slightly.
- The ambience music will now play more frequently.
- Drinking water will now completely fill your thirst (whilst standing still).
- Increased the number of rocks in the world.

# FIXES
- Fixed the interaction cursor not working in dungeons.
- Fixed energy not being taken away in some cases.
- Fixed losing legs at random places.
- Fixed the invisible baskets.
- Fixed hovering over items giving an error.
- Fixed deaths in dungeons.
- Fixed spawning in walls.
- Fixed the screen border appearing on some graphics cards.
- Fixed some issues with the Device options.
- Fixed the time it took to load a world in multiplayer.

Highlights

Baskets can now be crafted using tree bark (which can be obtained by simply right-clicking a tree and clicking "Take Bark"). You will need 5 Tree Barks in order to make a finished basket. These baskets can be placed by right-clicking and dropping them from your inventory.

You can then click on them to open up their mini inventory. Baskets can hold up to 4 items. To pick it up again you must empty it out and then you can pick it up by simply walking over it.

Villagers have had a massive makeover. They are now a lot more tribal and live in huts. Huts are now also buildable in place (temporarily) of houses. We are planning to redo the building system we wanted to take our time with it to make it as good as can be.

Finally, due to the large number of requests, you will now drink until your thirst bar has been completely filled up (walking will interrupt this).

Merry Christmas everyone and thank you for your continued support!

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »

This looks intresting, i'm watching...  Blink

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »

Currently working on a tips system. The tips system simply displays tips depending on certain conditions. For example, it will display the Crude Tool tip only if you have both a Rock and Branch in your inventory and the Holes tutorial will only pop up when you're around a hole.

Currently there are 17 tips in the system but with this overhaul we've made it very easy for us to add new tips. This also means that we've removed Tutorial Worlds since they are no longer needed because essentially what we've done here is merged the normal world tutorials with the Tutorial World tutorials with a bit less hand-holding.

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »

Crawle 0.5.5 has been released! There were 2 main focuses this patch: fixing up multiplayer and improving the tutorial functionality. I'd also like to mention that we will be starting on 0.6.0 soon. 0.6.0 will be a massive content patch and therefore it may take a while to get out, but don't worry, we'll continue to post updates on a regular basis! Make sure to keep up to date with all the development news and blogs here: http://sleepystudios.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46

Changelog:
---------------
0.5.4 --> 0.5.5
---------------

# ADDITIONS
- Rivers!
- Re-added PVP back into multiplayer.
- Servers can now have MOTDs. It can be changed with /motd newmotd.
- Servers can now kill players with /kill playername.
- Servers can now display item IDs & names with /showitems.
- Servers can now give players items with /give playername itemid.
- Added swimming!
- Added a new tips system.

# CHANGES
- Removed generated stumps.
- Removed the loss of hunger at midnight.
- Improved the equipment window slightly.
- Banned IPs will now be saved in an .ini in /data/.
- Removed the serverside /restart command.
- Energy loss is now a bit slower.
- Changed 'rock' to 'sharp rock'.
- Energy regen is now a bit faster.
- Removed the old tutorials system.
- Removed tutorial worlds.

# FIXES
- Significantly improved the rendering engine.
- Fixed the serverside warp command.
- Fixed not being able to type after running in multiplayer.
- Fixed village generation in multiplayer.
- Fixed the world saving when the server started up.
- Fixed the server's day night cycle being too fast.
- Fixed the overflow error when drinking at full thirst.
- Fixed holes spawning in water.
- Fixed holes spawning in trees.
- Fixed being able to pickup baskets with items in them.
- Fixed baskets not giving back items.
- Fixed bark taking not being sent in multiplayer.
- Fixed not seeing other players' basket items.
- Fixed durability not sending properly in multiplayer.
- Fixed banning & unbanning in multiplayer.
- The client will now try reload with no hardware acceleration. (Possible automation error fix).
- Fixed various overflow errors.
- Fixed right-clicking on world mode options.

Highlights:

Rivers are now generated in place of water. They're a lot rarer so it'll be a bit more difficult to top up your thirst bar now. We've also (finally) added swimming.

Tutorial worlds and the large tutorials have been merged into a new Tips system. These Tips will appear based on several conditions (however a few basic ones will pop up at the start), you can choose whether or not to enable them with each new world.

Finally, we've made a ton of multiplayer improvements. Hopefully it should be a lot more stabler now and the additional functionality should be useful. As always you can report bugs here.

IMPORTANT!

This update introduces a new updater. After updating go to your Crawle folder and open "Patcher.exe". From then on you can play as normal (from a shortcut or whatever you usually launch Crawle from). The Patcher just needs to be "installed" first for future updates.

The server will also be need to be run as admin!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:49:05 PM by Sekaru » Logged

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 09:48:07 AM »

Crawle 0.5.6 has been released! This release addresses a number of optimisation issues as well as adding a new GUI system and other small bits of new content.

Changelog:

---------------
0.5.5 --> 0.5.6
---------------

# ADDITIONS
- Buildings now require materials (e.g. logs and leaves for huts).
- Redesigned the GUI:
- All bars are now transparent until hovered over.
- Whilst running the energy bar will become opaque.
- Added the spear. It is crafted using a sharp bone & branch.

# CHANGES
- Things can now only be added to buildings by dragging and dropping onto them.
- Blind mode is now unlocked for all difficulties.
- Removed tips from blind mode worlds and Unforgiving difficulty.
- Reduced the width of the blood content bar.
- Removed the background UI surrounding the bars.

# FIXES
- Fixed the "detected old worlds" message.
- Fixed buildings not sending in multiplayer.
- Fixed some music issues.
- Made significant optimisations to the GUI system.
- Fixed the debug key in multiplayer.
- Fixed the position of the drop animal icon.

Major highlights

A new GUI! We've minimised the GUI somewhat: the blood content bar is now the size of a regular bar and the rectangle behind it has been removed and the stats bars (i.e. hunger, sanity, etc) are now transparent while they are not being moused over (however energy will become opaque whilst running).

The spear has been added to allow you to cut down trees faster, hunt better and defend yourself more effectively. It is crafted using a sharp bone (which can be obtained by completely skinning an animal and then right-clicking it once more) and a branch.

Finally, blind mode has been unlocked on all difficulties. Blind mode removes your stat bars, item tooltips and enemy health bars and gives no indication on the health of your body parts or your blood content.

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »

Crawle 0.5.6a has been released to address a variety of critical issues. It also brings the addition of a very requested option to disable the GUI fading.

Changelog:

----------------
0.5.6 --> 0.5.6a
----------------

# ADDITIONS
- Added an option to turn the GUI fading on/off.
- 1 point of energy will now be taken every 20 seconds.

# CHANGES
- Movement should now feel a lot faster.
- Added an action message for when you take bark from trees.
- Energy is now drained slightly faster.
- Energy now regenerates slightly slower.
- Increased the range on the bow.

# FIXES
- Fixed spears being able to be used as axes.
- Made significant optimisations to the rendering system.
- Fixed getting black screens/automation errors.
- Fixed eating giving a subscript error in multiplayer.
- Fixed sometimes not being able to open baskets.
- Fixed energy still being drained despite not being able to run.
- Fixed being able to cut down trees with bows.
- Fixed being able to duplicate animal meat/fur.
- Fixed being able to duplicate sharp bones.
- Fixed not being able to turn blind mode off during world creation.

Major highlights

This is more of a issue fixing patch however we've added an option to disable the GUI fading for those of you who like to constantly keep up to date with your vitals:

Also make sure to keep up to date by checking out the dev blog: http://sleepystudios.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:28:36 PM by Sekaru » Logged

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »

Dungeon generation is getting some improvements! I've reworked a lot of it recently and tweaked a few things - dungeon rooms will now typically look something like this:

On top of that there have been a few fixes to the collision on walls and a few misc. bug fixes for chests and pots.

Speaking of chests and pots: they now have a 1 in 50 chance (also depends on your difficulty) to damage you instead of give you an item!

More here: http://sleepystudios.com/showthread.php?tid=695

There's a lot more that we've got planned for dungeons: check back tomorrow for more info on that stuff.

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »

As part of the new dungeon improvements we've decided to slightly modify the way holes work.

(Temporary graphics)

Holes now have to be manually broken-open. This is done by simply right-clicking a hole and selecting "Break-open Hole" - you'll also need a tool or a weapon equipped to assist you in the process.

To go with this we've also updated the way Earthquakes work. Earthquakes will now simply break open a random amount of holes (the chance of an Earthquake has also been doubled).

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some more info on the new dungeon content.

Also make sure to check out our new sub-reddit.

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »

Crawle 0.6.0 has been released! Along with a whole list of bug fixes and tweaks, we're introducing a new load of content including a whole set of armour and a new weapon. Finally, this patch brings the stablest multiplayer experience yet!

Major highlights

We've focused a lot on improving the overall dungeon experience this patch. First, we've added a whole new set of armour and a weapon: the "rusted armour" set.

Sanity has always been a problem in dungeons. There has never been a way to recover sanity - until now. Standing next to a bliss statue will slowly recover sanity.

Another much requested addition is removing opened holes to avoid "random" deaths. With this patch, holes need to be opened up using right-click first (whilst having someone equipped in the main hand) before ladders can be placed on them. You can now find them as cracks in ground much like the one below.

A much smaller addition that we've attempted to add since 2011 is emotes. We plan to add more over the next few patches so be sure to suggest any you wish to see in the future.

Finally, you can now pick locks on locked chests. This is done by having Lockpicks in your inventory and attempting to unlock chests the same way you usually would.

Make sure to read the changelog for a full list of changes and remember to post bugs here.

Changelog
Crawle 0.6.0 Changelog

Dev Log
The ninth dev log is here explaining all these changes in video format!

Join the community
Sleepy Studios Forums
Crawle Sub-Reddit

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »

A new update is out! The update adds sleeping, blackouts, fruit bushes and more! It also fixes a wide variety of issues and streamlines a lot of mechanics within the game. Check it out here: http://sleepystudios.com/showthread.php?tid=740

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. We've been pretty hard at work on the next patch. We're more active on our forums in terms of dev log updates and indieDB.

Anyway, today we've got some more information on the headline features of next patch:

The main focus of 0.8.0: mining, smelting and forging. The first step is making forges and anvils:

As you can see they currently spawn in villages (this will change in the next major update). The process is "simple":

- Mine ore.
- Take ore to forge (as well as fuel for the forge).
- The forge will then create an ingot.
- This ingot can be used in the process of creating new armour and weapons.
(I realise how vague the above description for the process is but it should become clearer in time as we release more information)

In the next dev log we'll be revealing the central location for obtaining ores and fuels.

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:09 AM »

I just wanted to update everyone on the state of the patch (0.8.0) since I haven't been very active lately. We're still working on it as best we can but as you all know September is a busy month for those still in full time education. I can't promise a date still but I know it'll be worth it. On top of the new item guide and new updater the patch currently looks like this: http://pastebin.com/ffjBrGg4

That's a lot of stuff and is most certainly the largest Crawle update to date. So please be patient with us and keep sharing your ideas, suggestions and bugs with us on the forums.

Can't make a dev log without some sort of proper content so:

A lot of people have been complaining about rivers being the only source of drinking water - this is troublesome since rivers are sort of hard to find (if you don't know the technique).

To help with this we've added water to swamps. It'll work just like river water but will have a higher chance of causing a disease.

Thanks for all your support so far. If you want to support us even further why not get involved on our forums or follow us on twitter @sleepystudios

Sekaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »

0.8.0 is finally here! After about 5 months of work, we've finally finished the massive new additions and changes as well as the plethora of bug fixes.

Major highlights

Mining has been added to Crawle. You can now mine randomly generated ore veins for ores. Currently you can mine coal, copper, tin or iron.

After mining your ores you can turn these ores into ingots using a fuel source (coal).

Finally you can then use these ingots to turn them into armour and weapons.

The merchant has now also returned. He will spawn randomly and trade rarer, more useful and more valuable items (in comparison to the villagers). Also in this image you can see the first weather mechanic we've added - rain. Rain will help crops grow but will also affect your body temperature.

Finally, we've added a brand new updater to the game. This will replace the current updater which doesn't work for a relatively large amount of people. The updater is totally built up from scratch in Java so make sure you have Java installed.

Changelog

You can find the full changelog here

New store

We've switched stores since we've had a few problems with our current provider, FastSpring. Don't worry, if you've already bought the game you don't need to repurchase it.

You can find the new store here: http://sleepystudios.itch.io/crawle should you wish to buy a copy of Crawle.

Important update notes

The new updater will be in the patch files. This means you will need to update your shortcuts (use the "Crawle.exe" in the root folder) once the patch has finished installing.

Because of the poor state of the current updater, it will seem as if the updater is crashing - don't worry - it might hang for a while but it will download it in the end.

If your updater is not working: email us ([email protected]) with your order ID (if you can't remember it any other information would work - name & surname, address, email, etc) along with the error and we'll generate you a new download key for a fully up-to-date copy of the game.

We realise this may be inconvenient for some of you but in the long run the current updater is in a poor state and the new more powerful updater is much better both in terms of performance and in terms of delivering news.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:14:17 AM by Sekaru » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic