Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:39:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAstroMiner: R-01 - Latest Build 12/1/11
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: AstroMiner: R-01 - Latest Build 12/1/11  (Read 6521 times)
dangerz
Level 0

~

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »

Hand Point Right Download: Download, Mirror 1
Hand Point Right Requirements: .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0.

Latest Version: .1Alpha.2

Game Website (http://www.astrominer.net)
Wiki
Getting Started Guide and Controls
Dev Blog

This is my game, AstroMiner.  The game is set in an asteroid belt.  You were originally on your way to a planet to do some reconnaissance work when you lose control of your main transport ship.  You make an emergency evacuation using R-01, your recon ship, and land inside of the belt.

Inside the belt you have to build a base, defend yourself from enemy, terraform the base and eventually get back home.

I'm currently on Chapter 1: building the base.  I have about 12 different structures you can build so far, 4 different types of enemies and 17 different block types.  This is still an alpha release so it might be buggy.  They should only be very minor bugs, though.  I also have modding support built in.

Chapter 2 will be terraforming.  Once you terraform, you'll be able to get out of your ship and walk around.  You'll also start attracting a different type of enemy - one that's a little more mechanical.  You'll be able to harvest this enemy to build helper bots.

Chapter 3 will be going home.  You'll be able to transport yourself to other player maps and trade resources and items with them.  You'll also be able to send yourself back home, completing the game.

The game is written in XNA, but my eventual goal is to port it to MonoGame.

Pixel 06 This version has an important map update.  You cannot play your old maps until you convert them. Pixel 06
Follow the directions at http://www.astrominer.net/f/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66&p=126 to convert.

Pixel 31 Latest Updates (.1a.2 12/1/11)
  • All items and blocks now have their own floating graphic.
  • Memory leak in floatingItemsManager has been fixed.
  • Fixed bug where breaking glass could destroy tractor beam.
  • Fluid engine has been completely redone from scratch.
  • structuresManager draw() method has been optimized.
  • The higher the player goes, the less thick the asteroids become.
  • Pipes can now be placed inside of blocks.
  • When a player is on the ground and they place an item, it gets placed 2 blocks below.  This has been fixed so the item is placed directly below.

Pixel 06 This version has an important map update.  You cannot play your old maps until you convert them. Pixel 06
Follow the directions at http://www.astrominer.net/f/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66&p=126 to convert.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:04:16 PM by dangerz » Logged

injustpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »

I downloaded it, and I already love the gameplay.

Keep on working on it! I'd love to see how well it turns out!
dangerz
Level 0

~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »

I'm working on a new build based one the feedback I've gotten.  So far the changes are:

• Better mouse controls
  • Elevator beam should light up the blocks around it
  • More BASE2 in the game
  • A page talking about the different enemies

I'm also going to add a 'spotlight' that shines in the direction you drill and I have an idea to make the world feel a little brighter.

kowbis
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:12:04 AM »

how do you use the chest? i crafted one, but have no idea to place it or open it  Panda
dangerz
Level 0

~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:18:03 PM »

Land on top of it and open your inventory :]

dangerz
Level 0

~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:15:12 PM »

My wife is in town visiting for a few days (we live apart due to work), so I'll be away from tonight until Sunday.  I'll respond to all the PMs when I get back.

One of the suggestions I got for the game was some kind of radar, so I added that last night.  I've also updated the graphics to some of the blocks to make them look a bit more different (another suggestion).  For a full list of changes to expect and the status on the open alpha, check out this blog post.

Thanks again for all of the awesome suggestions!  I'll talk to ya'll next week :]

dangerz
Level 0

~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »

New build has been uploaded.  Here are the changes:

• Radar
  • Better Mouse Controls
  • Beam lights up the area around it
  • More Base2
  • Performance updates - more specifically, the structures draw method and the world draw method have been combined, giving me an increase in 30fps.  Player won't notice because the game is fixed at 60fps, but it gives me more leeway for when I want to add features in the future.
  • Chests now drop items if they are destroyed
  • W and A can now be used to control the menu.
  • Top left GUI can now be modded.
  • Ability to turn audio on/off has been added to the options screen.
  • Logging support has been added.  A game.log file is created in the root folder.
  • Background track from Connor Humphreys - Artist of the Fortnight (1 of many!)
The download links in the OP have been updated to point towards the new build.

dangerz
Level 0

~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »

New release tonight.  Here's the changelog:

• All items and blocks now have their own floating graphic.
  • Memory leak in floatingItemsManager has been fixed.
  • Fixed bug where breaking glass could destroy tractor beam.
  • Fluid engine has been completely redone from scratch.
  • structuresManager draw() method has been optimized.
  • The higher the player goes, the less thick the asteroids become.
  • Pipes can now be placed inside of blocks.
  • When a player is on the ground and they place an item, it gets placed 2 blocks below.  This has been fixed so the item is placed directly below.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic