Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:08:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCraftStudio: game-making for gamers (real-time collaborative!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: CraftStudio: game-making for gamers (real-time collaborative!)  (Read 67902 times)
J0nnJ0nes
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »

I've been wanting a system exactly like you mentioned in the section after "Why?" for a while. So many people have such incredible ideas, but have no way to implement them, due to lack of time (to learn and produce), experience, persistent collaborative dev team, etc. The idea is beautiful and an absolute must.

The implementation, however, is ... worrisome to say the least. I'm talking about Mono. Mono and C# are strictly Microsoft, and anything Microsoft is not ... compliant toward Open Source and Linux ideals. It's not a hatred so much as it is an aversion to Microsoft's practices, behaviors, and policies, which are completely antagonistic toward Open Source and Linux anything, no matter how much they might call something having to do with Microsoft "open source".
"Linux Open Source" != "Microsoft Open Source".

More Information on the issues with Mono on Linux: Summary of Mono’s Danger to GNU/Linux and the Free Desktop

I'm sorry, but as a Linux and true Open Source user and supporter, I must object to Mono. You can have the best and most useful thing in the world, but I wont touch it if it looks like a bear trap (i.e. Mono and anything by Microsoft design).

So ... why not use, say, Java?:

Is Mono a Reimplementation of Java, by Association?.

It worked for Minecraft. I'd rather deal with all the problems of Java rather than those of Mono and .Net .
elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2012, 12:19:42 PM »

Thanks to each of you for the kind words!

The implementation, however, is ... worrisome to say the least. I'm talking about Mono. Mono and C# are strictly Microsoft, and anything Microsoft is not ... compliant toward Open Source and Linux ideals. It's not a hatred so much as it is an aversion to Microsoft's practices, behaviors, and policies, which are completely antagonistic toward Open Source and Linux anything, no matter how much they might call something having to do with Microsoft "open source".
"Linux Open Source" != "Microsoft Open Source".

More Information on the issues with Mono on Linux: Summary of Mono’s Danger to GNU/Linux and the Free Desktop

I'm sorry, but as a Linux and true Open Source user and supporter, I must object to Mono. You can have the best and most useful thing in the world, but I wont touch it if it looks like a bear trap (i.e. Mono and anything by Microsoft design).

So ... why not use, say, Java?:

I've made games for Xbox 360, PC and Windows Phone 7 using .NET / XNA and had a great experience. I love the tools, .NET is a great platform and XNA is an awesome framework. I think it's the right tool for me and for this particular job. Java is a fine tool for other people or use cases.

As far as I'm concerned, I've saved tremendous amount of both time and effort by using this particular toolset which I'm very productive with, and I'm confident there won't be any legal trouble down the line.

I'm very happy that Mono and MonoGame exist and will allow players to experience CraftStudio under both Linux and MacOS X at some point, and I'm sorry to hear you won't be using it because of ideological concerns. I heard your opinion but I'm not switching away from .NET / Mono anytime soon for CraftStudio.

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2012, 02:29:19 AM »

I wish I had time to sit down and play around with this for hours. Looks awesome, dude. I really appreciate what you're trying to do for the community.

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »

Just a quick word to let you guys know the CraftStudio + Project Waffle campaign has just reached its funding goal! More than $4.000 has been contributed over the past hour thanks to a little escalation between generous donators Grin

AWESOME :D

Gib
Level 0

sup?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »

Congrats on this one  Grin

Welp, twitter and stuff. And b__g.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »

Great. It's a great tool - I can't wait for scripting. Making animation's a bit odd - do you create the keyframe and then rotate the nodes to form the animation that you need? Because that didn't work for me - it's like the nodes were locked or something...

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2012, 02:04:29 AM »

Great. It's a great tool - I can't wait for scripting. Making animation's a bit odd - do you create the keyframe and then rotate the nodes to form the animation that you need? Because that didn't work for me - it's like the nodes were locked or something...

The animation UI needs work, it's a bit clumsy on first use for now.

• Go to Animate tab
  • Click on the [+/-] button at the top to create an animation and don't forget to check it in the list once created to enable it for your model
  • Select the block you want to pose
  • If you want to make an orientation keyframe, switch to the orientation transform tool
  • Click on the [ + ] button to add a keyframe
  • You can now pose your block. Move further in time and repeat previous step to animate

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »

So, it's been almost month since I have posted here...

CraftStudio's crowdfunding campaign has ended a few days ago at a whopping $23.500, contributed by 612 funders! It means a lot to know people are willing to back the project with their own money. Some gave a dollar, some gave several thousands! Thank you so much if you contributed, financially or by spreading the word. Beer!

I've released various updates during the campaign, some highlights include: project whiteboard, hierarchical block duplication, transform handles for scenes, and of course, the usual bug fixes.

I'm currently busy finishing up the first alpha build. Game export and basic scripting are coming together fast and I'm happy to report I've been able to make some very basic test games already Kiss. I'll have a video up soon.

In the mean time, here's a screenshot showing the awfully basic script editor:

Remember, this is just the beginning. Visual scripting is coming later!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »

Well done mate. I'll have to check this out some time, and very nice that you're using Lua. Wink

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »

Yup. It looks fabulous.

But think... How fabulous would it be to have one more language available Evil?

Yet nice  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:20:09 AM by kamac » Logged

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2012, 11:40:33 AM »

So as promised, here's a short video demo of an actual CraftStudio game running! (The game itself is a bit boring, sorry :D)

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2012, 12:18:48 PM »

Y-You u-u-use windows s-sidebar?!

Who, Me?

Somehow craftstudio starts to remind me of unity... By the way, the gameplay looks a bit laggy if I am right (?).

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »

Yeah Unity3D is a big inspiration for the way scenes are handled.

Just realized I had Fraps on 10 frames per second. Bummer. That should explain the "laggy" feel.

What is it about the sidebar? Smiley

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »

What is it about the sidebar?

It's incredible! It's so non-mainstream to have windows sidebar instead of windows... bottom bar?

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2012, 03:45:23 AM »

So I spent last night with a couple friends working on a simple kart game! Here's a video:

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2012, 05:07:13 AM »

That's pretty impressive and great to see how far you've brought this along. Looking forward to seeing what else people develop with it Gentleman

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »

Today a few other people joined us and we spent a lot more time on the little kart game. We managed to come up with something complete enough to be playable!

Introducing... CraftStudioKart!

Grab the ZIP, unzip it and double-click on CraftStudioKart.exe. Controls are simply WASD. Have fun!

It's still pretty basic but I'm very excited by what we managed to cobble up in such a short time Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »

It's a bit difficult, but very nice. Great job!

By the way, do you have lights in CraftStudio yet? Haven't checked in awhile.

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:43 AM »

It's a bit difficult, but very nice. Great job!

By the way, do you have lights in CraftStudio yet? Haven't checked in awhile.

Glad you like it. Yeah it's kinda hard at first ^^

No lighting yet. It will be a while until I get around to it, considering there's still so much features & improvements to be done all around.

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »

I've just released CraftStudio Alpha after almost 2 months of work, it's the very first version with Lua scripting and game export! Beer!

C3LT has already made a little player-controlled T-rex thing, check it out:

CraftStudio Alpha also has many improvements everywhere... You can read all about it in my blog post and purchase a Premium account for 15 € (or more if you want to Smiley).

The previously existing features are still available for free of course.

The (very basic for now) script editor

The game controls setup panel

I can't wait to see what comes out once people start to play a bit more with it!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic