Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:35:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs(old thread, please delete)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: (old thread, please delete)  (Read 24199 times)
CorazonAzul
« on: November 27, 2011, 06:05:04 AM »

(old thread, please delete)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:33:17 AM by CorazonAzul » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 06:50:07 AM »

Booger art, man.  It's the past future's future past future.

Looking good so far :3
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »

I like that you're bucking the trend of RPGs that insist on being long and relatively simple.

The art looks good. The phoenix in the screenshot in particular shows a lot of attention to detail.

Your overworld screenshot looks a little bland, though. I feel like you'd do better if you made the forest and mountain ranges form continuous features, instead of being a lump of single trees and mountains. Then you can add some little graphical flourishes like bigger snow capped peaks, or little clusters of denser forest to break up the terrain.
dafthero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »

Just a couple of drawings showing the design for the characters.

The direction was to do a sort of "east meets west" character design. I wanted to stray from something too anime, but I wanted to keep it simple.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:04:36 PM by dafthero » Logged
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:28:15 AM »

Looks great! I love a challenging game, the overall description sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

Good luck, keep us posted!

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
dafthero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 09:58:47 AM »

Designing the dungeons on graph paper. I'd like to see some of the puzzles in action. Is there a free program out there that might have some tools available to me so I can do that?

It would be much appreciated  Gentleman
Ashkin
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 02:01:46 AM »

Oh wow! Kiss
Also, my condolences for the deaths of those close to you. Post in the Human Hugs thread if you want to talk about it, there's lots of support there.
dafthero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 02:15:06 AM »

I talked to JAMR tonight about it.

We'll get back no track and finish this thing.
st33d
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 06:29:48 AM »

Solid graphical style you've got going there  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Hoping the gameplay will be on an equally excellent footing. Good luck with this.
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:44:53 AM »

This is looking really nice, and I like the sound of "All characters, bosses, and normal encounters feature unique mechanics and high difficulty".

One small suggestion: speed up the animation on the turn sequence bar at the bottom - it feels a bit slow at the moment.

Keep up the good work!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »

Gameplay is looking great nice to see the game in motion. Reminds me of the best things about the gameboy.

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 08:03:01 AM »

I think this game is looking amazing, really. I LOVE this palette and the overall style!

My only critic is that I would try to speed up the whole thing and try to make it more dynamic. Maybe using more buttons to execute functions or using some crazy combo systems (like mario RPG) I don't know...

Anyway, congrats and keep it up!

Dakota.s
Level 0

Future Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »

I really enjoy the art and the overall style. The music is excellent, the combat looks like a lot of fun and It really looks like a gameboy game. Great job so far, keep up the good work. Gentleman

Games are supposed to be art, and not simply a way to make money.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 12:01:54 AM »

Looks awesome, keep up the good work!
dafthero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »

Making graphics for this game is making me crave lettuce.

Droop
saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 08:47:05 PM »

Again, this is looking awesome :D
I don't know what you changed exactly, but everything is looking much more dynamic and cooler! Keep the updates coming!

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 11:19:16 PM »

Wow, love it. The style and sound evoke powerful memories! Wonderful, happy, warm memories.
dafthero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 03:02:32 PM »

Wow, love it. The style and sound evoke powerful memories! Wonderful, happy, warm memories.

Take notice of the music when a sound effect is playing. You might find a delightful surprise
Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 06:43:30 PM »

Looks nice. Music is on point and the battle system looks interesting.

Kramlack
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »

Nice. Now visit my fake-ass Gameboy RPG devlog and tell me how many rules I'm breaking  Cheesy

Sprites can only have 3 colours, so even if the monsters are tiles, the characters are still over the sprite colour limit. Assuming the monsters ARE intended to be sprites, you're over the sprites per line limit on some areas of the monsters (ten on GameBoy Color, I think it's eight on GameBoy), which would cause flickering on those lines effected.

There's a bunch of spacing issues that wouldn't really work well in tile form, mostly relating to the hud, and the amount of waste above and below it. You'd end up going over your tile limit, which could be a max of 256. Another thing is while it's possible to do a variable width font, like you have, it's incredibly hard to pull off. So while it's possible, it's not really recommended.

At the end of the day, it's not practical at all, despite using a limited palette and keeping things generally simple. For what it's worth though, I don't think a lot of people care. Especially the average joe gamer, who will pass off anything simplistic as 8-bit.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic