Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073851 Posts in 44017 Topics- by 36022 Members - Latest Member: Homicide_Monkey

December 20, 2014, 10:11:30 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtitt: good character designs
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: itt: good character designs  (Read 78956 times)
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »

Shinkiro
"i swear to god i have never had to shit so bad in my entire life"
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2012, 06:03:01 PM »

He looks pretty happy about it, actually. ^__^
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »

no see fighting games need to have character depth and development that will rival those found in jrpgs okay
but... they already do

todd
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »

Akira Toriyama

edit: MARS-1

i wanna be the guy
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »

no see fighting games need to have character depth and development that will rival those found in jrpgs okay
but... they already do
shush your face that was the joke
---
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »

Akira Toriyama

+1million respect
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »

dum

the best character designer is kazuma kaneko

Chris Pavia
Level 10

teknobabel42 aquamanscg
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »

My pants just got tighter.

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »

Yes.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
McMutton
Level 9

Introducing McMoustache

View Profile Email
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »

That guy has the best leopard dude:

-KoE Devlog-
---
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2012, 07:50:58 PM »

why are leopard doods so popular

oh look, look over there mom, it's a leopard dood

^nobody says that
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »

Protip: Ose was the little-known fourth Cheetahman.

Every character design Kazuma Kaneko touches turns to gold, so yeah. Wizard

TrapThem
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »

I really like Georg Baselitz's character designs.

( ˙͜>˙ )
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2012, 01:59:15 AM »

dum

I gotta get an art book!
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2012, 02:43:28 AM »

Once again, everyone missing the point.
It's not about story. It's about placing stuff in their setting.
Thanks for explaining that Blanka is a wild beastman. I seriously couldn't see that for myself just by looking at him.
I'm saying that a lot of fighting game characters leave a lot of stuff open to interpretation, for everyone to interpret differently. That isn't strong character design.
The iterations that Vega went through are not standard practice. Final result is mix of the first iterations, which isn't how things are done if you want something to stand out.
Seems to me that the team didn't know what to include, and just drew a bunch of "cool looking dudes" and then settled on something. To me it seems like a descision that was made because of time constraints.
ink.inc
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:37 AM »

The Persona series has a ton of great, sleek design.

^this one's sitting on a throne made up of young girls, in case you didn't notice

AMAZON
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2012, 07:00:47 AM »

Thanks for explaining that Blanka is a wild beastman. I seriously couldn't see that for myself just by looking at him.
I'm saying that a lot of fighting game characters leave a lot of stuff open to interpretation, for everyone to interpret differently. That isn't strong character design.
The iterations that Vega went through are not standard practice. Final result is mix of the first iterations, which isn't how things are done if you want something to stand out.
Seems to me that the team didn't know what to include, and just drew a bunch of "cool looking dudes" and then settled on something. To me it seems like a descision that was made because of time constraints.

ohhh so if a character can be interpreted differently by different people its a bad design. I see. except my point still stands: you can't always explain a character's entire backstory with just their design, especially when there's fantastical elements involved. nobody's going to figure out why somebody is a leopardman just by fucking looking at him, thats what terrible plots and cutscenes are for. variety is sometimes more important than clarity.

also hell yes persona has the best designs ever

keo
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »

I don't know if BOF:DQ has been mentioned but I always think back to the character designs from it:
Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »

Look at this picture and then tell me that the Street Fighter characters are not well designed:

shig
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »

I bet.
it's not about story, see... its about story!
These designs actually go out of their way to answer the most important questions for you as soon as possible. In Dhalsim's case, you can instantly tell his archetype, his fighting style and even some points about ingame playstyle: he won't fight like normal people and physical strenght isn't his forte. These are the most important questions for a fighting game, and the first ones that come to mind when you see a character select screen for the first time. Any more than this and every character would have to come with their autobiographies tattoed on their faces so you can know everything about his past at first glance.

The funny thing is how fighting games typically go completely out of their way to tell you more small details about their characters even if you are totally uninterested in Story Modes or game manuals. Usually every character has their own taunts, victory poses and winquotes, intros, stages, themes, signature moves and there are always one or two moves where the character practically takes a break from fighting just to strike a pose and show you how evil/cool/serious he is(e.g: every ultra animation in sf4).

It seems like this to you but you don't know shit because that text on wikipedia is ridiculously vague and undetailed. ALL we know is 1) he had many iterations and 2) these iterations contributed to the final version.
Unless you believe "standard practice" means a character will come out perfect the very first time you sketch him on paper, then yes, this is standard practice.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic