Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411477 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 05:30:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)itt: good character designs
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: itt: good character designs  (Read 149478 times)
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »

I'm just gonna hope a new Kaneko artbook comes out and snag that.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
tylerjhutchison
Level 1

hebbo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »

Seriously people?? 15 pages in and no one has posted this yet!?!? 

(p.s. sorry if someone has mentioned this in a comment and I missed reading it. No one has posted pictures of it yet.)

Or this:

The characters in these game exemplify GREAT character design.  They make full use of size, shape and form and all vary greatly.
I am too lazy to find more examples from Grim Fandango, but they manage to make everyone look uniform (most characters are skeletons) yet still wildly different.   They have fat round skeletons, bulky square skeletons, tall thin skeletons, etc.

I am probably going to post more awesome character designs as I think of them but these two were some of the most obvious to me that had not been mentioned already.

tylersaurus.com | twitter | blog | wedrawcomics.com -- software engineer by day, comic book artist/game dev by night.
iffi
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »

I could have sworn I saw Manny Calavera somewhere in this thread, but that must have been somewhere else, since I just went through this entire thread again looking for it. So yeah, it's about time that was posted.
CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »

Taiyo Matsumoto

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:56:47 PM by CEDE » Logged

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
galjic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »

I always liked Canti from FLCL, his weight really seems to be well distributed, and he's very versatile with his different costumes and attires.

I love Canti.
and he transforms when he eats naota
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:18:52 PM by galjic » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2012, 02:19:33 AM »

Doesn't he just like transform whenever? I really can't figure that animu out.
galjic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2012, 05:18:19 AM »

Doesn't he just like transform whenever? I really can't figure that animu out.
I've watched flcl through like 8 times now

he turns red whenever there is the attacking robots but he only turns into the gun when he eats Naota. this is becuase of Haruko hitting Canti on the back of the head in the first episode
Inside of Canti is the space pirate king Atomsk and Atomsk’s is the symbol thats on his tv face when he turns red. also Atomsk  is a giant phoenix that can consume planets

Canti is a representation of naota's caring mature side when haruko shows up and Canti begins doing things for everybody who asks even if they don't treat him with respect.
there's also the Commander Amarao who is Naota's mental picture of what an adult is supposed to be. with that in mind Atomsk is a representation of what an Adult is supposed to be in a relationship. Naota learns from all of them. there's a lot to take from this show

one last thing Haruko isn't after atomsk in the show because she's in love. she just wants his power which ends up being physically manifested as a EB-0 1961 Gibson
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:53:57 AM by galjic » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2012, 08:20:42 AM »

Are you seriously making sense of all of it? And the giant clothes iron is supposed to something as well?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »

FLCL is perhaps my second favorite anime. Not gonna tell you how many times I've watched it... embarrassed. They were being quite overtly symbolic with a lot of stuff. Whenever you use symbolism that follows a common theme you'll get people to come up with interpretations. Its kind of like David Lynch's stuff. Of course, its so captivating b/c its impossible to truly "figure it all out." The typical interpretation is that the robots represent parts of Naota, specifically emotions which he is struggling with. Watch the director's commentary for some extra clues. He talks about being inspired by objects though he doesn't give a complete explanation of what he was trying to say with them.

You guys talking about Canti made me realize he has kind of a sad story. Isn't he destroyed as part of the Terminal Core at the end? What a meaningless death and no one seemed to notice or care.

Edit: I think I'm wrong about Canti btw I just remembered it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:13:26 PM by msilver » Logged

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2012, 10:19:51 AM »

I did watch the director's commentary (and watched the show multiple times with the English and Japanese dubs) and although it was a long time ago, I don't particularly remember him explaining any of this, it's just fan speculation as far as I'm concerned.
Herr Schnurrbart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »

Suda51 created some very good character designs. No More Heroes was already mentioned (the first part having much better designs than the second part).
Here are the main characters (well, sort of) of Killer7:

Their silhouettes, animations and personalities are rather distinctive
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »

I did watch the director's commentary (and watched the show multiple times with the English and Japanese dubs) and although it was a long time ago, I don't particularly remember him explaining any of this, it's just fan speculation as far as I'm concerned.

Well I still think its impressive for drawing fans to create such meanings. You gotta respect that. I mean, on the surface its this glorious bizarre anime full of all the things people love about anime and then so many people attach deeper personal interpretations. That's cool. I mean, just thinking of the story from Canti's perspective gave me a new way of thinking about it and I've already watched it so many times. (Also we may have seen different commentaries.)

WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »

there's also the Commander Amarao who is Naota's mental picture of what an adult is supposed to be. with that in mind Atomsk is a representation of what an Adult is supposed to be in a relationship.
Not at all. Commander Amarao is a very childish adult. The person who Naota looks up to the most is his brother Tasuku.
galjic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »

there's also the Commander Amarao who is Naota's mental picture of what an adult is supposed to be. with that in mind Atomsk is a representation of what an Adult is supposed to be in a relationship.
Not at all. Commander Amarao is a very childish adult. The person who Naota looks up to the most is his brother Tasuku.

It's all up to interpretation but I feel I said that wrong. I agree with you in saying he looks up to his brother most but he left when Naota was young and so during the course of the show Commander Amarao is a character that is always trying to be and act mature in the show which is a trait he shares with Naota. he is also the one that has the most things to teach Naota and helps him come to some realizations. So I guess I should of said Commander Amarao is the one Naota most picks up acting like an adult from.
SuperMistLand
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »

I like Chris Sasaki a lot. He's a character designer at Pixar:

http://sakiteriyaki.blogspot.com/

Rob Laro

http://larolaro.blogspot.com/

Blacky:

http://kibla.over-blog.com/

and my personal favorite is Keita Takahashi!

ChevyRay
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2012, 11:47:13 PM »

At 15 pages it's probably already been posted, but probably my favorite character design of all:

I liked these guys too:

Kevin
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »

I'm having a hard time finding any images, but I just got the first 3 Prison Pit books and really enjoyed the monster designs:

And Cannibal Fuckface himself is pretty awesome in his simplicity:

The whole thing is just so beautifully offensive and stupid. Your mileage may vary.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »

or

for that matter...

The Final Fantasy games always had many wonderful and often quite unique characters... I had a hard time with FF XIII though, for some reason...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:45:22 PM by BaronCid » Logged

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Kevin
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2012, 03:16:38 PM »

I feel like FF's character designs really went downhill as soon as Nomura got free-reign and went all belt-and-zipper crazy. FFX, for example, has some infuriatingly stupid designs. The classic job classes though, for the most part, are pretty tight. Likewise the staple monsters (chocobos, moogles, cactuars, and so forth).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:40:16 PM by Kevin » Logged
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »

Yeah, Nomura ruined Final Fantasy with his Harajuku androgyny bullshit. Way to suck the creativity and art out of characters and reduce them into every other vapid teenager who's got a Hot Topic gift card.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic