Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:33:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWriting30-Day Worldbuilding Challenge- COMPLETE
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: 30-Day Worldbuilding Challenge- COMPLETE  (Read 31956 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »

Thanks to you guys for showing interest in the challenge! We officially begin January 1st. If you've got a blog you'll be using for your challenge entries, post it here and I'll add it to the list. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Here's the list we'll be using, one item for each day:

1. The World- the general setting that this will all take place in.
2. Geography- the specific landmass you'll be focusing on, the Morrowind to your Tamriel. Talk about weather patterns and the general lay of the land.
3. Landmarks- natural or otherwise- ex. Grand Canyon, Eiffel Tower, Throat of the World
4. Resources- How do the people get water? Food? Are there rich minerals nearby, or mystical ley lines that power magical energy?
5. Flora
6. Fauna

7. Races/General Culture
8. Clothing
- detail differences in outfits between genders and ages as necessary
9. Food- describe an example of a daily diet, however it's divided up (breakfast, brunch, elevensies, etc.), along with any other noteworthy foods for special occasions
10. Arts
11. Trades
- Smithing, Carpentry, Dragon-taming, etc.
12. Education
13. Tools
- for use in Arts and Trades, or something yet unmentioned
14. Weapons
15. Transportation
16. Politics/Officials
- Describe the system of government or leadership used in your society, and who if anyone is in charge. What are the relations between your society and others nearby?
17. Currency/Economy
18. Religions/Philosophy/Morality
19. Warfare
- How is war handled in your society? Do they fight at all, and if so, who do they send? How do they fight?
20. Housing
21. Businesses
22. Social Groups
- these can be classes grouped by caste or by cultural boundaries (Upper-classes, undesirables, punks, jocks, etc.)
23. Language- for use in naming all of the things you've designed. Establish phonetic patterns with particular cultures (Example: All of the Kokiri people save for Saria have names using Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti-Da)
24. Folk Traditions/Holidays
25. Toys/Games
26. Legends
- Who are the people's heroes? What myths are spread about the land around them, or what associations do they make with the seasons (assuming they have them)?
27. History- talk about what's happened in your world the last century, maybe even longer. What are some important milestones for your culture? Any important wars, or maybe something else like a civil rights movement or the day a part of the continent went missing?
28. Free Day! Rewrite some of your entries if you feel they aren't consistent, or if you've got new concepts for the others, or else just take the day off and prepare for...
29. Life Cycle (Birth/Childhood)- Create an entirely new character and describe their upbringing. Is the family rich or poor by your world's standards? Do they have a happy home? Is there a war on? What sort of things does your character do to occupy their time?
30. Life Cycle (Adolescence/Middle Age) How do they handle their awkward years? Do they even live long enough to see 30? Do they fall in love?
31. Life Cycle (Old Age/Death and Beyond) Under what circumstances does your character die? Is it of natural causes? Did they die in a war? In a bed surrounded by their loved ones, or alone in a gutter? What sort of legacy do they leave behind- do their children honor your character's memory? Does you character even have children? What impact did they leave on your world, if any?

Participating blogs:

AmanitaZest
TaintedFork
Xion
Electrocrat
Boxedlunch
Threesided
Inanimate
GordonCSA
John Wordsworth
Eigenbom
Jakman4242
TDKGunghoul
Bood_War
Same as Before
Xang Host
Ashkin
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:18:56 PM by Theo » Logged
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »

This seems like an interesting idea to me!

I don't really consider myself a writer, but I like this idea and think it could help people like me get more comfortable with writing!

I would certainly be interested in "participating," although I don't really understand what there is to participate in. Isn't this more of a private exercise than a public cooperative-type idea?
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »

Thank you! As far as participating goes, it would be something closer to NaNoWriMo: Everyone is working on their own entry individually, but they all share a common deadline and can then encourage and critique each other. Basically, it's easier to get things done when multiple people are trying to do it too. I won't be starting this for a while, though- end-of-semester projects are far too hectic for me- so we can wait to get more people to gather up.
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:21:58 AM »

I say it's quite an interesting project, yes. I might participate if I'm able to find some free time.
Mattivc
Level 0

Level 21 Viking Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:10 AM »

Sounds like fun, count me in.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

I have a project i have been meaning to flesh out like this anyway.

BTW, Areku i freaking love your avatar.
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:22:15 AM »

BTW, Areku i freaking love your avatar.

Why thank you, it was made for me by Capnbubs, the artist behind Drillboid.
But let's not derail this thread into avatar discussion, eh?  Cheesy
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »

I'm glad you guys are interested in this. C: I talked to a couple others, and they're also wanting to try it out. One of them suggested making October the official month to start this, allowing anyone wanting to do NaNoWriMo to  prep for their stories. Personally, I think this would be a smart move, but I'd also like to try this out somewhat sooner. January was one month I considered- why not start the year off with building your own world? On top of that, you'll have 31 days in case you need a little extra time for a challenge. How does that sound?
Theophilus
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »

I vote January. I'd love to start this next month.
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »

January sounds good to me too!

If things work out well, maybe you can do a different type of challenge every few months, including October. Satisfy everyone that way.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:31:02 PM »

fuck yeah this sounds exactly like the type o shit I dig

Ashkin
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »

What Xion said. I am pretty into this.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »

Sweet, so does January 1st work well for everyone? I'm thinking I'll start posting on a few other sites to see who else would be interested, but it'd be awesome if there was one centralized place that people could share their progress- I just recently got a Tumblr, and adding a hash-tag to a daily post would make for a pretty easy way to find all of the entries.
Mattivc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »

January sounds great, this should be fun.  Smiley
pgil
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 11:12:19 AM »

I could use a challenge like this.  I've never done any sort of detailed world-building before.  I'd probably prefer a sketchbook rather than a blog, but I'll try to remember to take pictures.
Vox
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »

Yea this sounds fun I always liked to do stuff like this when i was little with my friends and it was fun to set up relationships with other worlds. I also need to works on my lore making skills because I'm building up to make a huge game that is very story driven so i need to brian my writing skills.Cant wait to start! 

Good Day  My Word!
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »

January also works for me.

LET'S DO IT!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 10:07:39 PM »

This sounds intriguing! I'm assuming the list correlates exactly to each day?
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »

Thank you~ C: Yep, that's the plan- since both January and October have 31 days, I figure the penultimate day can be a free day- revise any of the other entries if you have newer, better ideas, or just relax and prepare for the lifetime challenge on the 31st.

Most likely I'm going to post my work on my tumblr, since I haven't used it for much else. If nothing else, once people get started, we can post a link to whatever social media we're using to tackle the challenge.
Mattivc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »

I will probably be use my own personal blog for this.

Perhaps we should make a single thread for all of us, everyone post a link to their entry each day. And someone is tasked with updating the first post with a overview of all the links.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »

I'd be up for that- does it matter to anyone if we start a fresh thread, or if we just re-purpose this one for the actual challenge?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic