Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:59:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHullfire beta 0.4.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Hullfire beta 0.4.0  (Read 9993 times)
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »

Won't run on Slackware 13.37, because it wants libpng15, where Slack ships 14.

Code:
bash-4.1$ hullfire
hullfire: error while loading shared libraries: libpng15.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What would John Carmack do?
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »

Yeah, almost everyone running Linux has been reporting this problem. I recently updated from 14 to 15 and forgot to replace the libpng14.so.14 that I ship with the game. This will be fixed with the next release. As a temporary fix you can create a symlink from so.14 to so.15, it should work all right.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »

OK, I tried it and it seems to be working, but I just ran it for a few minutes.

A few things:

Thank you so much for implementing a freely resizable window.

I don't think you're properly setting your working directory, since I can't launch the game from a GUI, I have to use the command line.  I also can't launch it from a link, but this is largely a symptom of you shipping your own libraries instead of using mine.

Please don't hide my mouse cursor while running windowed.  This behavior annoys the hell out of me, and makes it surprisingly difficult to close or resize your window.

Your game runs extremely hot, I would recommend some kind of frame-rate throttling.  Right now it pegs my CPU to 100%.

If I'm not playing online, the game should pause when the window loses focus.

I'm sorry I don't have any gameplay critique, as you can see I'm more interested in environmental stuff, but these are all things that I look for in any game.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Smiley
It's weird that you can't just click the game to launch it, what are you using for this? A file manager?
Yeah, you can't run it from outside it's directory because of all the libs I provide. Do you know if there is a fix for it? I definitely don't want to force people into installing dependencies themselves.
I only hide the mouse cursor when you are not in a menu, people requested that I hide it during gameplay but to be honest I myself never had a problem with it. I don't know if it's good enough for you but you can always press ESC to bring up a menu and bring the cursor back whenever you need to resize or something.
I tried doing vsync many times with varying results, but even when it throttled the framerate, it never reduced the cpu-time eaten by the game. Do you know of any fix for that?
And lastly, it's a good suggestion with the pausing, but I don't know how easy it will be to do, as currently EVERY game is an online game, even if nobody joins you. Maybe I'll do a separate mode where you can only play splitscreen or with bots?

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »

It's weird that you can't just click the game to launch it, what are you using for this? A file manager?

I'm using Dolphin, the KDE file manager.  Different file managers handle working directories differently.  I'm pretty sure Dolphin considers the active directory at the time the X server was started to be the working directory.  In my case, this would be my home directory, but I wouldn't count on it.  KDE is common enough that this will be problem for a lot of people.

The usual solution is to provide a launcher script that sets the directory and then actually launches the binary.  You should be able to find a way to do it without too much trouble.

In my own projects, I have a function that locates the binary and sets the directory based on argv[0], but this relies on your program actually launching, which you currently can't do because you're shipping libraries.

Yeah, you can't run it from outside it's directory because of all the libs I provide. Do you know if there is a fix for it?

The launcher script mentioned above will fix this too.

I tried doing vsync many times with varying results, but even when it throttled the framerate, it never reduced the cpu-time eaten by the game. Do you know of any fix for that?

It depends very much on your thread structure, especially considering that you're doing networking.  I usually just put the main thread to sleep for a certain amount of time each frame.  This may be more complex depending on your networking code.  If you're doing non-blocking socket IO and continually polling, then that's the code that's sucking up my CPU time.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 11:44:43 PM »

Thanks, I'll make a launcher script next time Smiley

As for the CPU time, I'm using ENet for networking, the code loops and on each loop it calls a function that polls the ENet's incoming event queue or, if it's empty, wait for an event for 50msec. So I guess it's best described as non-blocking. I'll try to put both threads to sleep each frame when they are not lagging behind.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »

The next version of Hullfire is here, the major new features for this month are: a new primary weapon, varied ship performance and a dedicated ship/pilot selecting menu.

Additionally there are tons of graphical tweaks including completely reworked menus (all of them), hit indicators, damage indicators and sparks when grinding against a wall.

When it comes to gameplay issues, all secondary weapons now have increased ammo capacity, there is an additional score tracker in the corner, shotgun now pushes both you and the opponent back and boost cooldown has been increased.
That’s still not all, check the changelog if you’re interested in the rest of the changes or download the game straight away, both avaiable in the download section of our site:

Hullfire beta 0.4.0 download

All comments very welcome!

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »

At first it said I was missing OpenAL32.dll, I downloaded it, and installed the dll, then I received the error output: Card is not VBO ready!

=O

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »

At first it said I was missing OpenAL32.dll, I downloaded it, and installed the dll, then I received the error output: Card is not VBO ready!

=O

The missing dll is a known problem, I thought I dealt with it but it turns out I didn't.
The error is weird though. Is this the same system that the game previously worked on?

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »

=O

The missing dll is a known problem, I thought I dealt with it but it turns out I didn't.
The error is weird though. Is this the same system that the game previously worked on?

exactly the same o.o

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »

This is really weird, no one ever got this before :D
Can you post the entire stdout and stderr? Or is it just this one message?

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:46 PM »

This is really weird, no one ever got this before :D
Can you post the entire stdout and stderr? Or is it just this one message?

for sure,

"AL lib: ALc.c:1879: exit(): closing 1 Device
AL lib: ALc.c:1808: alcCloseDevice(): destroying 1 Context(s)
AL lib: ALc.c:1420: alcDestroyContext(): deleting 16 Source(s)"

"Card is not VBO ready!"

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic