Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:09:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsValchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Valchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2  (Read 94128 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: January 02, 2013, 11:42:30 PM »

@devMidgard - Thanks.

So I didn't really do anything between 12/29 and today other than work on the GUI some more, particularly the title screen. I'm also changing the name of the game from "Soldier Of' to "Valchion". The old title didn't really fit the game very well, as you don't play a soldier, and you don't war against the robots, but rather are just trying to get through to the center of town. It's like if Legend of Zelda was named "The Swordsman", or if EarthBound was named "Child Heroes" or something. I don't think it really applies, and kind of casts the game in a bad light (as if I were aiming for realism or something). I think "Valchion" sounds more unique, anyway.

P.S. I like the Japanese text on top of the title, but I don't know Japanese well enough to actually have a full translation, though I'd like to learn enough, hah. I probably should take it out.

P.P.S. The thing in the title screen above's a computer chip. Droop

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: January 03, 2013, 12:56:13 AM »

cool mate !

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: January 03, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »

Nice name Smiley

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: January 11, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »

What's this being written in?

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 11, 2013, 09:04:18 PM »

Blender if memory serves.

failrate
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:21 PM »

Wow, just played the demo.  It's pretty much exactly what I'd hoped for.  I'm really going to enjoy playing the full version.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »

@Manboobs - Thanks a lot. I'm not sure if I'll do anything about the transition, but I appreciate your opinion.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe just the dark blue color that I have in the title screen would be better than pure white. Thanks for your suggestion!

@Ouren - Dusty's correct. I'm making the game entirely in the Blender Game Engine and using Python to script the logic and mechanics.

@failrate - Hah, wow. I'm glad you think so. That demo's really old - hopefully the next one will be a lot better.

Okay, so I've been working on things (including this). There was a major bug that crashed the engine going from the Title Screen to the Game Scene, but I found out it was because of a recent addition to the engine that I got (apparently, I like to make games with unstable bleeding edge builds). Anyway, I figured out what the issue was and sidestepped it, and in the meantime the issue should have been fixed. On to more Valchion!

EDIT: Oh, and it's been over half a year since the last demo. That's really kinda junky, so I'll really try to make another (cross-platform, this time) demo, perhaps even by the end of January (I hope).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:51:33 PM by SolarLune » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: January 13, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »

Bright flashing GIF below; I don't know, it might cause a mild seizure for some people, so be aware.

I thought that would turn out better than it ended up...

So I remade all of the player's sprites today. At least, I'm pretty sure I remade all of them. It wasn't as much work as I thought it would be, but now starts the eternal "spot-the-pixel-out-of-place-in-game-and-go-back-to-tweak" phase.

I also added little spent shells that pop out of your gun when you shoot.

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 14, 2013, 12:28:52 AM »

Downloaded the demo earlier today and finally had a chance to give it a spin this evening. I was sorely disappointed when I figured out that there was no place left for me to go, so that's a very good sign! It took me a while to be able to quickly/easily differentiate objects from the environment/backgrounds but that's probably a fair trade off in the style/form/function equation. The unique perspective is even better in motion than from the screenshots.

I really like jumping around :D
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 14, 2013, 01:11:56 AM »

Maybe if you had done a more pokemon-intro-type morph (Like where your gender's sprite is turned white, and then shrunk down to it's in-game size before being recolorized) it might've been better.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: February 03, 2013, 12:29:52 AM »

Hello! I made a video showing pretty much just the minor stuff I've been working on (title screen, options screen, etc). Check it out

I've been working on adding new maps in, and have found the grease pencil to be a cool tool. You can draw layouts with it pretty easily. I'm also trying to just make things rather than think about it too much. I need to step up the speed if I plan to finish anything, so I really need to make progress every day. Trying to plan everything out would take me too long, so I'm just going to try making unique maps that fit with the theme.

I'm also adding in another enemy. It's a mole that will dig toward you and only pop up for a second or so every so often.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: February 06, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »

Well, I refactored some of my map-checking code a bit to work much more easily for me. Before, I stored a dictionary of map settings, with the map names as the keys. This way, each map could have its own settings.

Problem with that is that I had to define each map individually, and if I didn't it would throw errors to the console. Now, I give each map a 'map' property that I can tag for different sections of the world (i.e. "park", "city", "under1", 'under2", etc). The settings for that section is stored in a dictionary that I access by the map.

This way, each section can have similar settings that I don't have to set individually, and it should work perfectly for each map. I can also check the maps for unique properties, like "nomusic", to maps behave differently if I wanted. It's pretty comfortable.

I've also moved to Komodo Edit. It seemed like a cool editor, and I've used it before a year or two ago. I'm liking the way it's working.

Been doing some other general bug-fixes and things, as well. It's coming along. Anyway, here's a pic of a map.

P.S. I worked a bit more on the mole enemy. I accidentally made him able to juggle you, which makes him the #1 jerk in the game so far.

@caiys - Hah, I need to change the map-drawing to be more efficient somehow.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: February 08, 2013, 11:24:36 PM »

Hey. I made the fog thicker and deeper, and coded some to optimize the logic in the game. I had each enemy / active (script-using) game object in the scene (which has several maps on it) checking to see if it's on the same map as the player every few games frames.

Now, I basically just execute the script only if the enemies' 'active' property is true. When the game objects are initialized, they add themselves to a list present on the map, and then de-activate themselves. A 'System' object grabs the objects in the list for the current map, and activates them. It's far faster than having the objects do it, since only the objects on the current map are activated, and the objects on the previous map are deactivated.

Anyway, things are running a lot smoother now. It should run pretty well (hopefully).

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: March 04, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »

Grah, something to do with the lighting's slowing down the game in the park on a certain map. Can't quite figure it out. Either I'll get it, or just forget about it - whichever.

Anyway, I've been doing some behind the scenes stuff recently. I made a sound class for playing audio as opposed to calling sound playing calls myself, since now I can fade music in and out and limit the number of sounds of a certain type playing at any given time. I've also been bug-fixing and designing maps more.

Here's a development log update video showing the progress that I've made.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: March 28, 2013, 01:30:43 AM »

Yo! Long time no update. I've been whittling away at this, and now I've finished the second demo! HURRRAAHH! It's for all (-ish?) platforms: Windows (32-bit), Mac (64-bit), and Linux (64-bit). Grab it from my website!

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: March 28, 2013, 07:46:52 AM »

you auto run on mac version and wont stop, reactions are horridly slow on mac as well... dont know if this is intentional but please fix. thanks.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: March 29, 2013, 09:01:18 AM »

^ No, it's not intentional. The Mac runtime's input seems to be sticking, so I would need to access the engine's code to fix it. That's not really going to happen as I'm not developing on a Mac, so I can't personally deal with it. However, if you have a joystick, it works fine with that.

The Windows version has been updated to fix graphical glitches caused by me being too idiotic.

The Linux version has been updated and should be working fine, as well.

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 29, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »

Hello, I tried playing the demo earlier, but for some reason the screen stayed black after starting, while the music began playing. Is there something else I need to have installed or something?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: March 29, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »

I don't think so, no. Try downloading it again - I've been updating things like crazy since yesterday. Should've probably just gotten Windows out alright first.  Embarrassed

EDIT: I just downloaded it and tried it myself, and it runs fine on Windows 7 64-bit.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:26:00 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 29, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »

It still wasn't working, though if it helps, I got a whole bunch of warnings about some controller being removed, as well as "Error Totblock: 25"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic