Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:51:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11  (Read 266732 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:47:42 AM »

Indie Brawl is a fighting game that pits the stars of indie games against each other.
Choose your favorite character and let the brawl begin!

If you have problems running the game, go to the settings.ini file, and change 'quality=1' to 'quality=0'. That should solve most issues.

Controls:
Player 1:
Arrow Keys - Movement
Shift - Attack
Ctrl - Special

Player 2:
WASD - Movement
G - Attack
H - Special

Player 3:
Numpad 8456 - Movement
Numpad + - Attack
Numpad - - Special

Player 4:
PL:" - Movement
M - Attack
N - Special
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:27:28 PM by Soulliard » Logged

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:55:20 AM »

This sounds very cool, will have to try the demo later. Just one thing:

Graphics will be made in pixel art. Oracle's mock-up had a pretty good art style.

Would it be possible to keep all characters as much as possible in their original art styles instead? It would probably look pretty jumbled, but on the other hand it might be more authentic, and perhaps fun in a B-game cut and paste sort of way...
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »

Would it be possible to keep all characters as much as possible in their original art styles instead? It would probably look pretty jumbled, but on the other hand it might be more authentic, and perhaps fun in a B-game cut and paste sort of way...
I considered this myself. I decided against it for four reasons:
1- As you said, it would look jumbled.
2- Naija, Turner and Gish do not use traditional sprite-based animation.
3- Some characters, like Juni, have no attacks in their original games, so some new graphics would need to be made either way.
4- At least in the original topic, lots of TIGers offered to make art.

I'm curious what others have to think, though. Either style could work.

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:12 AM »

we should make an indie brawl edition of super mario war, not as impressive, but it would be fun and more feasible

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »

Very, very awesome! Overall.

I'd like to game design for it. I don't know if I'm needed anyhow but oh well...

Anyway, characters I'd add:

Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress
Can turn into different professioned dwarfs (special attack shuffles through them) which all have special stats and attacks. (Stats: speed, damage-dealing, jumping power etc.) So Fisherdwarfs attack with a mid-range fishing rod and Miners have a Melee-pick.

The Ninja from N(+)
Basically very acrobatic, fast etc. but "dead" pretty fast.
Has a Katana and can set mines.

The Ball from Inside a Dark Forest
Can roll and bounce around. Changes its colour randomly from time to time which affects its "bouncyness". Attack is a short, extreme acceleration which can be blocked by simply "attacking it at the same time".
I'd include a "blocking system" like that anyway.

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:23:28 AM »

we should make an indie brawl edition of super mario war, not as impressive, but it would be fun and more feasible
I think the original idea is very feasible, and there are so many interesting indie game characters that it would be a shame if all they could do was run and jump.

I'd like to game design for it. I don't know if I'm needed anyhow but oh well...
Any game design input will help. The design document can always be changed if it needs to be.

Has anyone checked out the engine yet? If so, do you like the direction I've taken so far?

Graham Lexie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:14:42 AM »

Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress
Can turn into different professioned dwarfs (special attack shuffles through them) which all have special stats and attacks. (Stats: speed, damage-dealing, jumping power etc.) So Fisherdwarfs attack with a mid-range fishing rod and Miners have a Melee-pick.

But will he be a giant ascii character??   That would rule :D but would be hard to tell what he's doing...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »

Suggested pickups:

Triangle (Cave Story) Appear in quantities, Collect upon touch - provide small, temporary boosts in attack. When collected en masse, provide a large attack boost.

Sea Loaf, Sea Cake, Tasty Cake (Aquaria) Appear in singles, Collect upon touch - heal the player for little, some, or much health, respectively.

Booster v2.0 (Cave Story) Collect upon button press - allows a third jump to characters without one and temporary flight to those with. Limited fuel, or lost if user is hit hard enough.

The dwarf could be in the style as the dwarves from the intro movie.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »

if you wanted that.. you'd just use 'MUGEN' or something.
as much as i love the original artwork.. this seems like it would sort of cheapen the experience.(also not to mention scale/size issues)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

Yeah, I think original graphics would totally make it feel not only more cohesive, but more "official" if you will, instead of some bored people that just ripped graphics and put them in a game.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 02:38:57 PM »

if you wanted that.. you'd just use 'MUGEN' or something.
as much as i love the original artwork.. this seems like it would sort of cheapen the experience.(also not to mention scale/size issues)
Well, I wasn't really talking about just taking the original sprites and dropping them into a game. I was more thinking along the lines of keeping the original feel of the characters. But I see your point, and it seems the majority of the people would rather have a unified art style, and I'm cool with that.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »

i checked out the engine. i think its a bit early to really say if its good or not, but what you have so far sees to be working quite well.

it seems like there are an endless line of awesome possible characters  and the line will only lengthen. it would be cool if there was some way to allow for easy expansion of characters.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 05:44:01 PM »

i checked out the engine. i think its a bit early to really say if its good or not, but what you have so far sees to be working quite well.
What's important is that it 'feels right'. I want to make sure its easy to control.

[/quote]it seems like there are an endless line of awesome possible characters  and the line will only lengthen. it would be cool if there was some way to allow for easy expansion of characters.
[/quote]
I'm trying to compartmentalize the characters as much as possible. My plan is that, to add a new character, you'll just need to do the following:
1- Create all the associated graphics.
2- Set a few constants, such as the character's hit points and speed.
3- Create the code for the character's attacks. Hopefully, this won't be too complicated, unless the attack is really unusual.

Ideally, someone will be able to create a character on their own, if they're motivated enough.

DestronPrime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 06:11:12 PM »

You used one of my modes! Man it feels great. Thank you so much.

I disagree with the way the shield is used. I think it should be more like... press down and it'll activate? I dunno. I just find it not very manageable. Still very good, and I'm damn impressed. And its good to see my vote for Nikujin amount to something.

ARGH THIS IS AWESOME. I just returned to the forums too, and now this. This is too great. My day has been made.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 06:53:28 PM »

You used one of my modes! Man it feels great. Thank you so much.
Er... you're welcome? Smiley

I disagree with the way the shield is used. I think it should be more like... press down and it'll activate? I dunno. I just find it not very manageable.
The problem with using 'down' to block is that 'down' is already used to fall through platforms.

I could, of course, add a shield/dodge button pretty easily. I'd like to keep the number of buttons as low as possible, but three is not unreasonable.

This is another area where I could use community input. What do you guys think the best control scheme for shielding is?

DestronPrime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 06:56:52 PM »

-I was the tug of war, and eight button guy.

-A third button.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 02:08:03 AM »

Yeah, block button would be better IMO. Good luck with this because it looks awesome.       Do you expect to have stage hazards/events like in Smash Bros?

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 07:23:07 AM »

Tried the engine. Has a nice feel to it. The delayed jump was acually quite nice.

As for the option of adding characters, I've had an idea for a while for a fighting game where you can download new characters as they're made, stages too for that matter. I'd love to see online battles (becuase I doubt the lot of us are going to cling up for visits) but that's further down the road I reckon. Should be feasable with minimum lag given it's a 2d game.

I'd be willing to contribute graphics, but I doubt I can help out with my unnanounced project in the works. We'll see how this commes along first. This thing has grand ammounts of potential.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 08:23:40 AM »

I've tried the engine demo too now, and it basically feels "right", though for a fast-paced action game I guess something with even more immediate response might be even better. But that's probably just a matter of minor tweaking.

Also, I agree online play would be a huge draw. I guess that's not really feasible with Game Maker, is it? But whatever, if this thing does get off the ground, then maybe a reimplementation in another framework is more feasible. At the moment it's most important to get something out there, I guess.

And one last question: any reason you specifically mentioned Xbox 360 controllers as opposed to any generic gamepad? Surely any old gamepad would do?
medieval
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 08:36:23 AM »

This game is flooded with awesome already.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic