Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:28:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: DOWNLOAD- New Version 4/24/11  (Read 266828 times)
calstin898
« Reply #880 on: March 18, 2012, 03:36:18 AM »

When I load the game it says this:

ERROR in
action number 5
of Create Event
for object Control:

Error defining an external function.

What do I do?
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #881 on: March 18, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's a Game Maker error. Usually the game works if you try running it again. If it's still breaking, restarting your computer sometimes fixes it.

calstin898
« Reply #882 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »

It works now, sorry
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »

We're still working on Indie Brawl? It's still in Game Maker?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #884 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

Yes and yes. Though it's on hold until someone fills the role of programmer.

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #885 on: April 07, 2012, 06:17:49 PM »

I saw this and decided that I'd give it a quick look...not that I really have any spare time, but I thought I might be able to do something on it pretty quickly.  After downloading Game Maker and checking out the scripts, though, I have solidified my preconceived notions that I will not like programming in Game Maker.  Obviously I could figure it out if I spent more than 15 minutes poking around, but I honestly don't have much time and have no desire to learn Game Maker.  I love the project idea and am truly sorry that I won't be able to participate in it any time soon.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #886 on: April 07, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »

Reading this, and seeing the last date of the update, and seeing that there are still people who really want to work on this, I really would love to get involved somehow.

I'll take a look at it and see if it's on my level. Though I'm not quite "experienced" with GML, so I don't know how much use I'd be in the event that I can work with it at all.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #887 on: April 08, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »

I'm glad to see that people are interested in the project, and ashamed that I don't have time anymore to give it the attention it deserves.

This thread might help you understand the code a bit better, if you want to take a crack at it.

SuperX46
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 16, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »

Meh. I would really like this game if there were Computer Players. It's really boring just beating on lifeless human players and not having them even fight back.
Anyway I think "Terraria Guy" should be a playable character. He is in a indie game and I think it would be really cool to play as him. Just an idea.

(Also this is my first post! Woohoo!)
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »

Meh. I would really like this game if there were Computer Players. It's really boring just beating on lifeless human players and not having them even fight back.
Anyway I think "Terraria Guy" should be a playable character. He is in a indie game and I think it would be really cool to play as him. Just an idea.

(Also this is my first post! Woohoo!)
We don't have computer players because a CPU is harder to code than one might think, and quite frankly we have zero coders working on this currently.
As for "Terraria Guy," well, you said it best. The main character of Terraria has no personality; he's not good for a fighting game. He doesn't even have a name. Maybe the game would make a good level, or an item, but not a character.
SuperX46
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 16, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »

The main character of Terraria has no personality; he's not good for a fighting game. He doesn't even have a name. Maybe the game would make a good level, or an item, but not a character.

I guess your right. I bet he would be pretty OP too! Maybe a floating island or The Corruption as a level? And a Megashark as a item.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:50:02 AM by SuperX46 » Logged
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »

We don't have computer players because a CPU is harder to code than one might think, and quite frankly we have zero coders working on this currently.
True that. Especially in precision games like fighters.

What all does the game have in terms of volunteers when it comes to who's still interested/still working?

ink.inc
« Reply #892 on: April 16, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »

People haven't really LEFT the project... more like... faded from it.

If enough people were willing to get back to work on this, I'd consider contributing animations again. I've gotten better since 2 years ago. B)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #893 on: April 17, 2012, 12:14:11 AM »

I'd might do some animations too, but I haven't gotten any better.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #894 on: April 17, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »

I'm still considering doing some programming, but due to the vast amount of scripts I feel like there's a possibility I'd be in over my head.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: April 18, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »

Programming new content follows a pretty standard pattern, so it's not too difficult once you wrap your head around the code's organization. I have no idea how difficult programming AI will be, though. Feel free to look through the code, and contact me if you have any questions.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #896 on: April 18, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »

Programming new content follows a pretty standard pattern, so it's not too difficult once you wrap your head around the code's organization. I have no idea how difficult programming AI will be, though. Feel free to look through the code, and contact me if you have any questions.
Is there anything in specific that needs added that I could sit down and work with to see if I "get it"?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #897 on: April 18, 2012, 01:15:45 PM »

Hm... Trilby's moveset has some problems. A lot should be changed, but a relatively straightforward improvement is that his vS needs to go. It's unintuitive and not much fun in play.

He could use a few more basic physical moves. If you could replace his vS move with a more straightforward umbrella attack, it would be a big improvement. He could use a move with a nice balance between speed and power, to fill that gap between his A and vA.

Don't worry about the attack being mapped to vS for now. You can reuse the umbrella swing animation, but you'll probably need to adjust its frames.

Programming attacks is a large part of the programming work for Indie Brawl, so if you can figure that out, you can probably figure out how to do most other things. Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Take your time and have fun.  Smiley

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #898 on: April 18, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »

Err...just trying to run the code, I'm getting a ton of errors. First, sprite_load had too many arguments, then background_replace_alpha doesn't exist.

Running GM 8.1. Didn't try to fix the second one, because I wasn't entirely sure how. >.>

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #899 on: April 19, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »

I think background_replace_alpha was from before GameMaker supported using the alpha channel in images. It can probably be changed to just background_replace.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic