Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:41:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Trash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!  (Read 48456 times)
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2013, 06:17:37 AM »

In terms of shaders I think you'll have to rewrite them from HLSL to GLSL due to monogame using Opengl. Not sure how different the two are though as I haven't really touched GLSL.

Life sucks and then you die.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2013, 06:59:32 AM »

Today I fixed/revived the original level code

I feel I should leave it in the game somewhere to acknowledge the games origins, however it also borrows from many other games too. I spoke to Rami and he's happy for me to leave it in the game, just not sure where to place it.

EDIT: Fixed the broken image link.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:56:39 AM by Bishop » Logged
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2013, 05:58:39 AM »

Made some more 4th wall breaking stuff.

Think I'll really ramp up the 4th wall stuff towards the end of the game.
Ant
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2013, 06:02:55 AM »

so much goodness Hand Thumbs Up Right

I feel I should leave it in the game somewhere to acknowledge the games origins, however it also borrows from many other games too. I spoke to Rami and he's happy for me to leave it in the game, just not sure where to place it.

Maybe add it as a tutorial? Or perhaps a level could house broken down arcade machines which can be played for fun or as part of a puzzle?
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »

Think this is too much? Obviously it's just a place holder. I was thinking of using it like in that movie, Funny Games

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:54:29 AM by Bishop » Logged
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »

I would like to try this game out, but my computer can't run the HiDef graphics profile. Considering it's just a toggle box in the properties, would there be a way to edit the launch settings in steam so I can play it?

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »

Think this is too much? Obviously it's just a place holder. I was thinking of using it like in that movie, Funny Games Warning, crap quality and a spoiler of the movie.

What engine are you using for this game? Or it's a custom built?
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »

What engine are you using for this game? Or it's a custom built?

It's written in C# XNA, things like collisions, save/load, menus, etc are all custom built.

I would like to try this game out, but my computer can't run the HiDef graphics profile. Considering it's just a toggle box in the properties, would there be a way to edit the launch settings in steam so I can play it?

Steam never gave me a developer log on so I have to shoot them an email every time I want to patch and they're pretty unresponsive about it. I'll try and again soon and if they ignore it again I'll send you a build.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »

I tried out the demo yesterday, and it was weird because the ground just disappeared.
Made it slightly difficult to complete the demo.

poe
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »

Just tried the demo, love the direction this is going in Smiley Some really cool puzzle ideas.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2013, 10:55:11 PM »

This is coming along pretty nicely, I love games with a strong theme that covers every detail of their execution.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2013, 03:15:15 AM »

Just tried the demo, love the direction this is going in Smiley Some really cool puzzle ideas.

I know that can happen if you tab out of fullscreen and back in again, not managed to hook up and event listener to the tab back in to re-bake the environment yet.

This is coming along pretty nicely, I love games with a strong theme that covers every detail of their execution.
I tried out the demo yesterday, and it was weird because the ground just disappeared.
Made it slightly difficult to complete the demo.

Thanks!

Today I've been playing around with animating a spirit of the television to test out a story idea. It's not going well to be honest but I'm not giving up on the idea just yet.

So at the moment I have the colours from Signal's face as little square orbs that float around, circling each other with a trail effect. It looks better in motion but it's still not that obvious.

If I can convey early on the idea that you're a spirit possessing a TV rather than the TV itself, I was thinking I could end the game with the spirit escaping the TV that boarders the game, after the screen breaks.
Ant
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2013, 03:43:57 AM »

Oh I rather liked the idea that you were some half-scrap tele on the blink fighting to escape a nightmarish scrapyard to freedom...

Any chance of a non-steam demo?
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2013, 03:50:17 AM »

Sure, let me iron out a few bugs and I'll PM you the current build.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »

Click for larger view

Here's my current progress on level making. The idea to make a hub level and set it as a sprawling world came a touch late which is why it starts off so hard moving to the right. The white lines represent travelling done in loading screens. I think the final game will probably have about twice the number of the levels. It's been a really nice exersize to make this image, the number of ideas I've had once I viewed the final image is staggering, finally broke my week long design block.  Smiley
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »

Hello, some feedback from the demo on Steam:

The options menu is pretty buggy.
Before starting the game, I turned on fullscreen mode and selected my resolution. Selecting Apply didn't seem to do anything (possibly a flicker of a hastily abandoned context?). Using the Save option did set the display mode correctly. While in the game the Apply button did work correctly. I later came back to the options menu and it displayed incorrect ratio and resolution information. Also iterating through every possible resolution/ratio is a bit of a pain, a dropdown menu would be much more pleasant to use.

Already mentioned earlier in the thread, but alt-tabbing when in fullscreen mode messes up the graphics. It can be resolved by turning fullscreen off and back on again in the options menu.

I managed to get myself stuck just before the end:

When first entering the area I used the exploding dart gun on an enemy to knock myself upwards and the platform correctly appeared under my feet. As the arrows show, I continued on and ended up falling in lava. I respawned back where the player is shown in the screenshot but the platform above is now blocking my way up. The immediate solution is to block up where I fell down, but seems a bug that will crop up again especially in more complex levels, so I would advise some kind of checkpoint system that stores level state as well as player state.

At that final section the player has to navigate at the far corner of the screen which is kind of fiddly with the distortion effect. I think it would be a good idea to design areas so the player very rarely needs to move to the edges of the display.

I think the platforms that pop out to catch you after rocket-jumping would benefit from some visual indication of where they will be. Currently the player has to rocket-jump around with the hopeful assumption that a platform will appear to catch them, which leads to a certain amount of "I guess I'll just rocket jump and see what happens" rather than working out what to do.

I liked the game itself, some nice ideas in the demo and I look forward to seeing what the rest of the game comes up with. Also it took me a while to notice it, but the little fluid simulation for smoke/fire from explosions is neat.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2013, 10:55:44 AM »

Sorry for the errors, I have fixed the bug in the level but didn't know about the menu ones. Really struggling to package the patch for Steam's servers. I'm not sure when that'll roll out. Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:23:49 AM by Bishop » Logged
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2013, 04:02:17 AM »

Current progress.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2013, 07:51:43 AM »

I did an interview recently, you can read it here!

http://indiestatik.com/2013/03/27/trash-tv/
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2013, 05:11:45 AM »

Another level finished today.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic