Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:56:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Author Topic: Trash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!  (Read 48432 times)
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2014, 06:15:54 AM »

This looks awesome, Lawrie!

Let me know if you need any original music / soundtrack composed for Trash TV. :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Jove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:13 AM »

Perhaps I could tie the beginning and ending together too, have all the lights that entered the TV exit at the end? Like his spirit is free and he only needed the body to escape.

You should definitely do this, It will give it an ending and will be pretty easy to implement.

Anyone seen the ending in Dark Matter?

Dear go, don't do that!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »

For the game intro I tried to simplify stuff as much as possible and here's my attempt at making the most simple, basic ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61UyXgD0sw&feature=youtu.be

I feel it's ok actually. The idea is you eventually get to the room where the trash comes into the facility and climb your way out. The climb start bit is missing in the clip, but I think covering the transition in a big black block looks alright and makes the job a thousand times easier.

Perhaps I could tie the beginning and ending together too, have all the lights that entered the TV exit at the end? Like his spirit is free and he only needed the body to escape.

I do like the ideas suggested and it's a shame to have this ending skimp on the story, but I've already cut out a lot of ideas I wanted to make, I think trimming down and getting it out before I run out of funds is what's needed.

Anyone seen the ending in Dark Matter?

Great idea. Not only would be thematically satisfying, you could work the story to be some kind of endless loop type conclusion. I.e the player character is stuck in an endless cycle

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2014, 05:34:48 AM »

What about this?

After the fade to black, credits roll.

I'm not sure if I got the tone right, I think maybe it's a bit depressing but really it's supposed to be him/it becoming totally free. I'm feeling very happy about it but I've only just made it, a week always removes any rosey eyes I have for my own work.
Jove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:39 AM »

What about this?

I'm not sure if I got the tone right, I think maybe it's a bit depressing but really it's supposed to be him/it becoming totally free. I'm feeling very happy about it but I've only just made it, a week always removes any rosey eyes I have for my own work.

Not sure about the spiral out, it just seems a little cheap, easy way out. I know you've been working on this for a long time but don't cut corners now. A better solution would be they come out of the TV and hover around like flies and then shoot upwards one by one.

It's not really depressing, I think it's quite thought provoking. I certainly want to know more about these "spirits" what they are etc. It just adds a bit of mystery.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2014, 06:43:38 AM »

What about this?

Not sure about the spiral out, it just seems a little cheap, easy way out. I know you've been working on this for a long time but don't cut corners now. A better solution would be they come out of the TV and hover around like flies and then shoot upwards one by one.

It's not really depressing, I think it's quite thought provoking. I certainly want to know more about these "spirits" what they are etc. It just adds a bit of mystery.
It's supposed to be reminiscent of the intro

Here's a video of the opening

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Jove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2014, 07:09:49 AM »

I understand that, I was just giving another idea. To me it just looks a little cheap considering all the effort that has gone into the other effects.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »

Hey everyone,

I've been pretty quiet lately and I thought I should share the games current state.

All single player levels have been made and the first 1/4 has been played and polished to death. In the coming weeks I hope to polish up the other 3/4 and finally wrap up single player all together.

As for Co-op. In player testing a lot of ideas aren't weren't working out and my new plan is to release co-op as a free update after release. Currently I think I sit on 10 fairly solid co-op levels but a recent batch has been cut (just straight un-fun).

I'm terrible at estimating release dates, but I'm definitely on the last 1% to go. My todo list is now entirely the sub tasks that stop the game from being the best it can be rather than the usual single bullet points that represent a weeks work.
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 15, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »

Excellent, I'm looking forward to the release! Grin
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2014, 12:53:17 AM »

10 Items left on my todo list. One of them I feel abit lost on and would love to bounce some ideas around with you guys.

This is the last level cutscene

So I'm not happy with how the player steps inside the big trash pile, at the moment you swap level and you're behind the trash. One of the big problems I need to side step is I'm not an animator and need to use clever tricks to side step that. For example the when the camera reachs the top our hero Signal is already climbed through. It's one of these problems I've looked at to the point I can no longer tell what is good and bad about it.

So ideas to address this part. A screen wipe that hides the transition. Adding a full screen short static noise effect to changing levels (should probably do this) and use that to hide a transition.

At the end of the animation the TTV logo is off center and I guess I should stop the strong bend distortion rather than let it loop. Fade to credits earlier perhaps.

I do like the spiral out, how it's the opposite of the beginning of the game, although I'm still open to be persuaded otherwise.

If I have time I want to have the lights circling a satellite in space after the credits.

I apologies that this is all abit of a brain dump.
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2014, 02:18:55 AM »

First of all nice to see you around again!

This is the last level cutscene

So ideas to address this part. A screen wipe that hides the transition. Adding a full screen short static noise effect to changing levels (should probably do this) and use that to hide a transition.

At the end of the animation the TTV logo is off center and I guess I should stop the strong bend distortion rather than let it loop. Fade to credits earlier perhaps.

If I have time I want to have the lights circling a satellite in space after the credits.

I apologies that this is all abit of a brain dump.

Quack static noise for the transition - cool and should work to comunicate. Hand Thumbs Up Right

The TTV logo effect was something that looked a bit cheap (twirly whirly stuff doesn't quite fit the whole games theme imo, maybe go for your glitch/RGB Split/distortion type of effects?)

Otherwise looking good!
Best wishes!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

PeteH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2014, 02:44:21 AM »

I'm not sure I've fully understood the problem, but could you lock the player in place as soon as they land on the final lift and have it move up into the dark area. Then as the screen scrolls up have Signal slowly appear on top of it, as if he's just ridden the lift to it's peak?

Overall the game is looking awesome! Good job, looking forward to seeing it finished!

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2014, 03:29:15 AM »

How about this? I haven't added the fade in yet but you're dead right, the added RGB stuff is great. I kept the curve but changed when it's displayed, it's a lot more subtle now.

SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2014, 04:56:44 AM »

Honestly I think even more subtle than that would be good. The effect itself looks nice, it's just a bit too over the top and a little distracting. A little quicker and less warping and I think it would look good.
Other than that the rest of it looks nice!
AlphaPlus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2014, 09:30:59 AM »

Honestly I think even more subtle than that would be good. The effect itself looks nice, it's just a bit too over the top and a little distracting. A little quicker and less warping and I think it would look good.
Other than that the rest of it looks nice!

I concur.

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2015, 06:50:38 AM »

It's done everyone! It's finished and on Steam! Out in 2 days and 3 hours. I've finally finished my first game!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/343840/

In other news, I've started my 2nd, an sci-fi swat team RTT. http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=44010.0
siskavard
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »

congrats! I will be buying a copy
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »

It's done everyone! It's finished and on Steam! Out in 2 days and 3 hours. I've finally finished my first game!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/343840/

In other news, I've started my 2nd, an sci-fi swat team RTT. http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=44010.0
Congrats! Can't wait to play! Good luck with the launch

GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2015, 11:32:21 AM »

Good luck on your release!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »

Best of luck on your launch and congrats on finishing your game. That's a huge milestone. Really liked the PSA video. I may caution that you should consider including a more traditional trailer or at least some gameplay video. Will be a hard-sell without any gameplay to be seen prior to purchase...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic