Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:08:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Trash TV - Done! Out 23rd Feb!  (Read 48108 times)
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »

Damn son.  That's looking good!

Really I can't add anything.  You show the gameplay and motion well, and there's plenty of hints that this is a puzzle-centric game which should be evident to your target group.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »

Thought I would chime in, give Lawrences new trailer some love!

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »

Anyone want to test a little demo for me?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34675660/Release/TrashTVInteractiveTrailer.zip

The installer is awkward, it activates rather than installs, so extract to where you want it before running it.

It's very short but let me know what you think. Thanks!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »

Really cool.

The TV itself seems really pixelated compared to the rest of the world, but it's just a demo, so I understand.

I was expecting some standard platforming action, but the puzzles were surprising - not too difficult to do, but not so simple that they were chores. Just right, to me - I liked them a lot.

The emoticons for the character were cool, as well - they showed what the character was thinking / feeling at the time.

While I was playing, I got hit (no, not in real life, ha) and Telly ran off on his own. Is that supposed to happen? I think the same thing happened toward the end of the demo when I walked onto a certain spot - the character just started booking in the opposite direction, like he was afraid of something. I believe there was an emoticon over his head, though I didn't quite see what it was (a sweat droplet?). If that's intentional, that's cool too, but maybe you could make whatever he doesn't like bright or glow or something - make it stick out.

Anyway, awesome demo!

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »

Since the game is more puzzle focused I wanted to make getting hit by an enemy more forgiving than traditional platforming games. So I thought since it's an old TV that's lost it's signal when you get hit you regain that signal controlling you, like it's controlling all the other characters in the game. It makes you run until you hit a wall, at which point you'll turn around but I left jump enabled so it kinda becomes a game of canabalt... I guess I really need some way of explaining that.

Oh yea and at the end of that level it takes control while you stand on the crane up to the next level, very rarely there's a cutscene moment like that. The emoticon was a thumbs up but everyone's thought it's a sweat drop so far, I guess I'll need to revisit those.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2012, 01:01:55 AM »

Really great stuff.

The way the explosions feel gives a really powerful sense of pressure moving through an enclosed space (as an explosion would act in real life) which I've never seen in a game before that I remember, and it works really well. Puzzles were cool, using the explosion mechanic like that, felt like it all fit together perfectly.

I liked the fallout of getting hit by an enemy, I realised what was going on straight away and thought it was pretty intuitive and fits with the theme as you said, with TVs losing signal - nice idea Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin Gives a reason not to hit enemies but is more forgiving than straight death, and adds a sort of moment of tension/stress while you try to control jumps and not fall into lava which I liked a lot. Reminded me of those brain sucker things in Limbo.

The only thing that I thought maybe could be tweaked was the acceleration of the character control, going from full velocity left to full velocity right felt a bit slow in my opinion, but that's a pretty subjective thing. Doesn't detract from the game at all, I'm just trying to find something constructive to say Tongue Other than that the controls were solid.

Visuals are fantastic, I loved the general aesthetic and liked the contrast with the heavily pixelated explosions. The only nit-pick/observation I have here would be the same as SolarLune, the character looks a little pixelated compared to the rest of the environment - but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall I'm really glad I gave this a download (played it through a few times to get a good feel + was fun) it's great so far and shaping up to be a really good game, can't wait to see more and for the full release!

EDIT: One other thing - where the game takes control of the character at the end of the level, would it maybe be better to put the finish point on the actual crane bit so the player moves there themself, rather than losing control (even if just for a second)? If the red light thing symbolising the 'end' of the level were on the crane the player would feel compelled to stand on it.

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2012, 02:05:30 AM »

Yea I think I will tweak the end of the level, before when I didn't have it take control a lot of players jumped off the crane/crate for fear of being crushed. I'll rework it to lock the player in with a door or something, flip the emoticon to a heart to reassure the player too perhaps.

I'll keep an eye out for anyone else wanting a slightly more punchy movement.

I'm really glad you liked it, made my day!

How do you feel about the length of the demo? As the game isn't available to buy I didn't want it too long and that's why I branded it as an 'interactive trailer' to cue that it's intentionally short and has the aim of a trailer. Shame it doesn't run in browser really.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2012, 02:22:28 AM »

'Interactive trailer' suits it nicely, it was relatively short in terms of a demo but gives a good taste of the game in small burst, and since the file size is pretty small and was no hassle to install it works well.

At first I was going to say maybe you'd want to make a bigger demo on release, but on reflection this short snippet made me want to get my wallet out so I think it worked well  Tongue Perhaps in the lead up to release, get some coverage of this interactive trailer and you could even release a few of them - may be an interesting thing to try, rather than throwing out a single big demo have a couple of bite size teasers over a period of time to get people hooked.

That could be something to consider, I know from playing it, I'm certainly left wanting to play more (I actually played it through about 5 times I think) and would even fit the TV theme, like ad breaks!

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2012, 03:59:11 AM »

So this happened http://store.steampowered.com/app/213570/
st33d
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2012, 04:06:02 AM »

Fuckinel.

Grats dude  Beer!
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2012, 04:20:10 AM »

Woohoo! Congrats  Grin:toastR:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2012, 07:36:50 AM »

Congratulations, indeed. Nice! How easy was it to get into Steam?

st33d
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »

Looks like all he had to do was make a decent game.

Giggle
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »

Nice job  Gentleman

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2012, 09:00:02 AM »

Beer!

Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2012, 06:57:27 PM »

WOOOOOOO!!!  Toast Left Grin Toast Right

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2012, 01:41:47 AM »

Congratulations, indeed. Nice! How easy was it to get into Steam?

It was part of winning Intel's Level Up competition. That reminds me, by the way I won Intel's Level Up competition - Best Character. Steam were hosting all of this years winners demos. My distribution contract only covers the demo at the moment. When the game is nearer finished I'll ask for a full distribution deal.
AileTheAlien
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2012, 09:02:41 PM »

A few people on the inter-webs can't play the game after downloading it off of Steam.
My post to a Steam thread has the most data, although I can't guarantee that everyone shares the same exact issues:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31109210&posted=1#post31109210

At least for me, the sequence is:
1. Find out that .Net isn't installed with the game. (dependencies, man!)
2. Install .Net
3. Game still crashes! :|
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2012, 12:27:38 AM »

Yea, sorry about the missing dependencies. The installer I handed Valve checked for them but I guess I was supposed to tell them about it too. This has fixed it for most people. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

I've posted the link into the steam forum thread too and I appreciate you signing up with TIGsource to let me know about the issue. I hope this solves the problem you were having, let me know if it doesn't.
AileTheAlien
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2012, 10:14:16 AM »

Between this download and .Net, the game works now.
The visual style is good and the graphics fit this well.
Overall, pretty fun.

A couple suggestions:
1. Have some background music or noises before the game loads up.
I thought at first that the game had glitched out and I didn;t have sound until I just decided to start playing.

2. Any chance of the player shooting with the arrow keys instead of space?
IMHO, runny gunny shooty games are a heck of a lot funner if you can shoot things behind you while you run away from them!

3. Sticky Gun -> Sticky Grenade Launcher?
I'll admit, it's hard to name a gun when there isn't an easy name to use from real life or pop culture.
Lasers and bazookas are well known, RPGs are fairly well known, and people even know what grenades are.
But an explosive that's a. timed, b. sticks to surfaces, and c. is launched isn't really something that shows up much.
It's basically an RPG on timed-fuse mode, but which sticks to things.
I'm certain the former exists in militaries, but the latter is kind of fiction right now, as it's hard to guarantee that your bomb would stick to 90% of the surfaces you shot it at.

P.S.
I was going to sign up here months ago to post some feedback on Red Rogue, but the site conked out every time I hit the 'submit' button on the sign-up.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic