Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:05:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceHero Command
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: SpaceHero Command  (Read 104678 times)
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 29, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »

Yeah, definitely better Wink
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: November 29, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »

Yeah, I'm a bit sick of fire now!  Shocked
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: December 03, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »

Not much time lately to work on the game due to real life stuff. Hopefully will have more free time to work on this next week though.

So again slow progress, but progress none the less!  Cheesy

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #723 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »

Finally managed to get a good GIF to work (thanks to LICEcap!):

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 05, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

How does it look zoomed out?

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #725 on: December 07, 2012, 02:28:22 PM »

Ugh.. real life is so busy at the moment! I might actually get more time over Christmas once we are relaxing after Christmas meals and seeing friends.  Cheesy

Is anybody making New Year Resolutions with regards to their game projects? Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #726 on: December 08, 2012, 01:13:28 PM »

I thought I would talk about my future plans for SpaceHero Command as progress continues, but is slow..

As you would have gathered if you've read most of this devlog, this game develops at a slow pace as I fit working on it around a full time job, social events and other hobbies and responsibilities. Despite that it's fun to develop the game and see it (slowly) take shape. Smiley

So.. onto money! Wink In the past I've sold shareware games, but never made any money from them at all. Although we all want to hope the next time will be different, I know that this game won't be popular enough to make any real money and to be honest I don't really want to try to sell it as a 'proper' game.

When game development is done as a business I find it takes some of the fun out of things and adds a lot more stress. Basically you have more pressures on you to fix problems and improve the game, as well as having to be a businessman & marketer as well as a developer. Something I don't enjoy, and I am not good at.

So I've decided that SpaceHero Command will be totally free.. I intend to add in the level editor so people can make and share their own fun levels, and ideally some random level generator will be in there too. I'll add a donate link it people want to throw a few coins my way to help out, but it will be strictly optional.

Development on the game is rather slow, and projects start, stop and die all the time on these forums. But for now, that is my plan for the future..

If anyone wants to help with artwork or music then I'd be happy with that (if I like it), but it would have to be unpaid and with the understanding above about the free nature of the game with optional donations only. I don't expect anyone to be interested with that, but concept art or level art ideas are especially always welcome.

Well, hopefully we'll have something more playable next year. Thanks for reading.! Gentleman
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: December 08, 2012, 10:37:40 PM »

im surprised, considering how much work youve put into it! i think you could sell it pretty easily Smiley

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #728 on: December 09, 2012, 01:19:43 AM »

Naw, it's not about the work, I just enjoy game development (more than playing games actually!)
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 10, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »

Naw, it's not about the work, I just enjoy game development (more than playing games actually!)

I know that feeling. I also think you should use the bright fire. (since fire emits light)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #730 on: December 10, 2012, 12:10:28 PM »

I'll decide on whether to tweak the fire again once it's fully implemented in the game.

Green: What are you working on at the moment? Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: December 11, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »

One day since the last post and it's on page 3 of the DevLog forums.. things are getting a bit silly round here! Shocked
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: December 11, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »

All those young upstarts are stealing your well deserved page one placement! Cheesy

About the $, I've never sold a game in my life, but it sounds like you are undervaluing your game. If you don't need the money that's one thing, but if you want to spend more time making games then you'll have to start taking the money more seriously, right?

Erobotan
« Reply #733 on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:21 AM »

I agree with eigenborn

free games = slow development since the developer has to get money from other source like office work, etc

commercial games = faster development and more games for fans since this is your main source of income :D
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: December 12, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »

About the $, I've never sold a game in my life, but it sounds like you are undervaluing your game. If you don't need the money that's one thing, but if you want to spend more time making games then you'll have to start taking the money more seriously, right?

I agree with eigenborn

free games = slow development since the developer has to get money from other source like office work, etc

commercial games = faster development and more games for fans since this is your main source of income :D

your call of course, but im totally with these guys^^

I went through a similar thought process with my music career, for quite a while really. even when things i did would be popular, I just didn't think that enough people would care for me to make charging for it worthwhile. I had the idea that people were only downloading because it was free, and if i charged money, i would lose out on people *actually listening*, which is what i want more than any money of course. but what's weird is, when I did eventually start charging (an experiment at the insistence of my girlfriend), I had a hugely positive response. I mean, clearly it's not that I was charging money that made the response huge, it was an album that I had work on for a long time and was one of the best things I've ever done, BUT the point was that it didn't negatively impact people's enjoyment of what I was doing. and now I am literally making a living off of 100% music and couldn't be happier.

there may be plenty of other reasons that you wouldn't want to charge for it, and hell, free games are AWESOME, so I really wouldn't want to dissuade you if that is your intent. I just know a lot of artists/musicians/devs have that kind of hesitancy to admit the "worth" of what they do, and just wanted to share my experience with it!

BUT you don't really need to deal with this now, so sorry for the derail haha. I would say if there is a question about it, just figure it out when youre finished with the actual game!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:04:32 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 14, 2012, 07:18:32 AM »

Not really concept art but just some quick mindfarts I imagine running around in your game.

I'm missing some females. Maybe create some female looking aliens?

Sorry offitopic but now i know who you are! I remember you from Megaman legends 3 Devroom! You receive the honorary mention and you liked my bright bats entry!

Remember this?

http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/go/thread/view/114725/27764753/demonbotbuttom
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 14, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »

I'm busy as always. Why did you ask?

Sorry offitopic but now i know who you are! I remember you from Megaman legends 3 Devroom! You receive the honorary mention and you liked my bright bats entry!

Remember this?

I have never even seen that forum.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 14, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »

I'm busy as always. Why did you ask?

Remember this?

I have never even seen that forum.

Ah i see you art remind me a lot of ANDROID ARTS  NIKLAS JANSSON arts..
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #738 on: December 14, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »

Green: I just wondered if you were working on your own game? Would love to see you do a devlog. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: December 16, 2012, 12:17:56 PM »

Does anybody know of any free programs that can search through the function calls in a C/C++ project and draw a good visual map of the run structure of a project?

I think something like this might prove useful to me. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic