Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:40:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsBlender Tutorials, Tips & Inspiration
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Blender Tutorials, Tips & Inspiration  (Read 48759 times)
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »

I figure we need a collated thread for all the neat tips and such popping up across TIGS and maybe some external resources as well. I'm guessing our purposes here on TIGS will primarily focus on low poly stuff for games, so I'm going to focus on that.

I'll try to organize properly for your ease of browsing and clicking... Credits given to authors where known.

Tutorials found here on TIGS (say thanks to the authors!)

Hawt Koffee - Sharp Seams Quick Tut
xrabohrok - Unwrapping Tutorial
SolarLune - Python and the Blender Game Engine (not really modeling related but blender and game related!)
Rock D - Rendering 2D Isometric Sprites with Blender

Tutorials found elsewhere

It's good to check out Polycount as they are also focused on 3D game assets. There's lots of cool stuff there in the forums.

Blender Cookie - craploads of tuts but not game focused entirely.

Peter (PXStriker on YouTube)- Massive Blender Tutorial (Low Poly) - This is quite comprehensive so I'll list out the parts of it.

Good intro to Blender basics.

Shows the process of modeling a generic low poly character.

Chapter 3
Making simple hands

Chapter 4
Head and hair modeling.

Chapter 5
Combining meshes (head, hands) - attaching the body pieces.

Chapter 6
Texturing. Covers UV Unwrapping, texturing, neglects to mention how to turn off shading (see Chap Cool

Chapter 7
Rigging and posing, or how to animate your low poly dude

Chapter 8
Quickly goes over how to make textures look good without shading (should be watch in conjunction with Chap 6)

Blender Cookie - Rigging a Character in Blender 2.6  (handy for the new interface)

Celsius Game Studios - Modeling a Low-Poly Tank

KatsBits - Why To Always Use Powers of Two

Unity Blender Support - USE THIS SCRIPT IF YOUR MODEL COMES OUT WHACKED IN UNITY - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/62583-Blender-2.5-support

Inspiration - Showcases, Workshop threads

3D Thread in the Art Forums - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4960.0

Tor@noko - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23138.0
thatshelby - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23526.0

Polycount's Low Poly 'What Are You Working On' Thread - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:46:43 AM by jotapeh » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »

Stickied.
Hawt Koffee
Level 1

That's a wild fire.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:16:30 AM »

I'll certainly be contributing to this
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:04:13 AM »

The only downside is the retarded mentality of the dev team to change the thing's layout, immediately making some tutorials obsolete unless the authors revise them.

Which never happens.

Yeah.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 07:58:52 AM »

@Hawt Koffee Looking forward to more from you!

@eyeliner Having seen the 2.49 layout and the current one, I can tell you I wouldn't have learned Blender if not for the cleaned up interface. I don't think it's retarded at all. I've learned a ton in the past I think 2-3 weeks of trying out Blender.

Still I can learn from the 2.49 (and lower) blender tuts, once you learn the basic 2.5+ interface it's quite easy to interpret what they're doing. The options are in a different spot, sure, but they aren't too hard to find.
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »

My wording might have been a bit harsh. I still dislike the constant changes, though.

Either way, I don't like it very much, so I'm a bit biased.

Yeah.
anonymous
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:32:20 PM »

Oh hey there's my name-o.
I was doing some lurking on polycount and saw this posted:

and here for a download of the gam
I was wondering if anyone knew how he got his gfx pixelated or what tools he's using.  are the models just really tiny and small viewport? [does that make senso]
Kramlack
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 02:59:04 AM »

Granted I didn't play the game, voxels come to mind?
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:10:05 AM »

The text hurts the eyes so much I think I read "Press X to to travel in time" WTF

Yeah.
xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 10:33:02 AM »

Would a rigging tutorial be useful to anyone?

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
anonymous
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »

yes.

I understood creating armatures, to some degree, I just never understood how more complicated rigs were made
Theophilus
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 05:49:49 PM »

Would a rigging tutorial be useful to anyone?

Yes please.

It's hard to have to 'translate' these tutorials into the new interface. I can't figure out how to do a knife cut, the one where you drag it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:14:06 PM by thatshelby » Logged
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »

I have a few Blender tutorials that might be of some use:

Insetting polygons, creating holes and aligning vertices.  A general hodge podge of things that are kinda annoying/un-intuitive to accomplish in Blender.

Creating hotkeys in Blender

Navigating/customizing the Blender interface  although frankly you probably need to go straight to the

, as it was encoded at 1080p.  Let's just say, creating and and merging windows in Blender is... unique.

And for a small number of you that are interested in building Blender from source code, these cover the process.  Text version and

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 06:54:40 AM »

Just created a tutorial about utilizing

. Not sure how many people'll find it useful, but someone requested it, and it hasn't been covered before very much, so there it is.

keo
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 10:52:24 PM »

@solarlune was just about to ask Smiley Thanks great tutorial.
Edit: had a problem where the image was antialias-ing, with mipmap turned off but remembered that the image size should be a power of 2.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:49:04 PM by Beau Buns » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 06:15:42 AM »

@solarlune was just about to ask Smiley Thanks great tutorial.
Edit: had a problem where the image was antialias-ing, with mipmap turned off but remembered that the image size should be a power of 2.

Thanks / You're welcome. Yeah, I mentioned that elsewhere, but just now got around to adding an annotation to the video.  Tongue

RedKnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »

Yummy
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 07:28:31 AM »

I just published a Visual Guide to Blender BMesh to coorespond with the upcoming Blender 2.63 release, which finally merges BMesh support.

This guide illustrates the new features BMesh add to blender, including an animation of the feature in action, a description of the feature followed by how to actually use it.

For those not aware of BMesh, what it is is awesome. Wink
xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »

I just published a Visual Guide to Blender BMesh to coorespond with the upcoming Blender 2.63 release, which finally merges BMesh support.

This guide illustrates the new features BMesh add to blender, including an animation of the feature in action, a description of the feature followed by how to actually use it.

For those not aware of BMesh, what it is is awesome. Wink

Oh heck yes.  These were the features I missed the most when I had to go from 3DS Max to Blender...and here they are! Subdivision modeling is finally do-able!

I recently (nearly) finished a guide on how to rig a simple-ish character.  You can view it here.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 08:24:28 AM »

I just finished a slightly less traditional Blender tutorial.

Video editing in Blender

Blender is a remarkably capable NLE, once you get through the UI and over the learning curve.

This tutorial will illustrate the basics, at the end of which you should be able to add a title screen to a movie, create a watermark/logo, add effects/transitions, perform cuts, manipulate audio and of course, render to video.

So if you are doing some video work, it could be worthwhile to check out Blender.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic